Clinton implies Russia wants Gabbard as 3rd-party candidate

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I voted for HRC and worked on her campaign locally, but I wish she would just go away and play with her grandchildren.
The Russians do not like Tulsi, per se. They like chaos in the West. They support the underdog because he/she is the underdog. It would not surprise me to learn they support Bernie in 2016 for that reason (although I have seen no evidence that they did). It would not surprise me to discover that Russian bots/trolls are supporting Mayor Pete for the same reason.
Tulsi also has an isolationist streak, which also suits the Kremlin's purposes, leaving the Kremlin free to act as it pleases on the world stage.
The Kremlin views the world in zero-sum terms. Russia cannot become more powerful in a geopolitical sense (they are already on a war footing), but they can reduce the relative power of the West by sowing chaos where they can.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I think that most are missing the big picture here. Read Tidewater's post above (#26) and TIDE-HSV's at #16. Clinton is just saying that the Russians are already up to their tricks again and she is probably correct.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that most are missing the big picture here. Read Tidewater's post above (#26) and TIDE-HSV's at #16. Clinton is just saying that the Russians are already up to their tricks again and she is probably correct.

I don't dispute that that is probably true and for the same reasons they both cite.

But Hillary Clinton is the one person who should have simply shut up and sat in a corner.

After all, Tidewater made the point he didn't have evidence regarding Bernie although such wouldn't surprise him.

She stated very specifically it was someone in the primary. Does she have any actual evidence of this or is she talking out of her butt like Trump does?

There isn't a whole helluva lot of difference in her use of that tactic ("hey, pin the tail on the bad person, but I never said it was so and so")
and what Trump does when he uses that tactic or what McCarthy did when he used it.

Tom Nichols has a good piece in "The Atlantic" this morning about this as well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/hillary-clinton-elevating-tulsi-gabbard/600370/

HRC just helped Tulsi raise money and make her more of a threat.
This is not genius level politics from an experienced pol, folks.

In 1991, Clinton's nomination seeking advisers were terrified that NY Governor Mario Cuomo would enter the race. They wanted him to go to Albany and make one of those "suggestive" speeches about problems in NY that could be pinned on Cuomo. BILL Clinton actually told them, "There's always time for that if he decides to run. Don't elevate him."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Russians do not like Tulsi, per se. They like chaos in the West. They support the underdog because he/she is the underdog. It would not surprise me to learn they support Bernie in 2016 for that reason (although I have seen no evidence that they did). It would not surprise me to discover that Russian bots/trolls are supporting Mayor Pete for the same reason.
Tulsi also has an isolationist streak, which also suits the Kremlin's purposes, leaving the Kremlin free to act as it pleases on the world stage.
The Kremlin views the world in zero-sum terms. Russia cannot become more powerful in a geopolitical sense (they are already on a war footing), but they can reduce the relative power of the West by sowing chaos where they can.
There seems to be some very weak - compared to their Trump campaigns - bot work for Sanders but it was clearly, as you said, to seed discord and not coordinated between Russian government and the campaign. The "Russian agent" attack on Tulsi is tinfoil hat stuff that seems to be a sit in for not wanting to have to explain all of her problematic coziness with foreign dictators and fascists. Perhaps, to some degree, having to explain these issues would shine light on things the powers-that-be don't want the public to consider. For example, I'm pretty certain that the US stance on India is to maintain relations and keep them pro-West at all costs even if that means dealing with a fascist.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Didn't watch but saw that she and Chelsea were on one of the late night shows last week. Maybe she is trying to keep Chelsea in the spot light for future political office?
She needs to go off the grid along with Bill and Chelsea. Yes, her 15 minutes is long gone, just go away.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There seems to be some very weak - compared to their Trump campaigns - bot work for Sanders but it was clearly, as you said, to seed discord and not coordinated between Russian government and the campaign. The "Russian agent" attack on Tulsi is tinfoil hat stuff that seems to be a sit in for not wanting to have to explain all of her problematic coziness with foreign dictators and fascists. Perhaps, to some degree, having to explain these issues would shine light on things the powers-that-be don't want the public to consider. For example, I'm pretty certain that the US stance on India is to maintain relations and keep them pro-West at all costs even if that means dealing with a fascist.
I will say this though, if Tulsi Gabbard does announce a 3rd party campaign (sort of a left-libertarian oriented pres. campaign), then Hillary will look prescient and we should start looking at social media for bots supporting Tulsi.
For the Russians, how much does it cost to have social media whip up support for a particular candidate? Not much, but the pay-offs can be enormous.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I will say this though, if Tulsi Gabbard does announce a 3rd party campaign (sort of a left-libertarian oriented pres. campaign), then Hillary will look prescient and we should start looking at social media for bots supporting Tulsi.
For the Russians, how much does it cost to have social media whip up support for a particular candidate? Not much, but the pay-offs can be enormous.
I am not sure that we have to *start* after she announces a 3rd party campaign. NBC News was talking about this back in Feb. Russia's propaganda machine discovers 2020 Democratic candidate Tulsi Gabbard

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is an open-source example of Russian information ops/social media exploitation(from Wikipedia):
May 21: Two competing rallies are held in Houston to alternately protest against and defend the recently opened Library of Islamic Knowledge at the Islamic Da'wah Center. The "Stop Islamization of Texas" rally is organized by the Facebook group "Heart of Texas". The Facebook posting for the event encourages participants to bring guns. A spokesman for the group converses with the Houston Press via email but declines to give a name. The other rally, "Save Islamic Knowledge", is organized by the Facebook group "United Muslims of America" for the same time and location. Both Facebook groups are later revealed to be IRA (Internet Research Agency) accounts.
This shows how cynical the Russians are about interfering in western countries. They could not care less about "the islamization of Texas," or about "saving Islamic knowledge." They just want the two groups to clash violently to spread chaos in the West.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
This shows how stupid people are for putting their trust in sites like Facebook and Twitter. All this manipulation is happening right out in the open for everyone to see. Yet most people still see no harm in Facebook, Twitter and other social media services.

The little bit of good that comes out of these services will never out weight the destruction they are causing to cultures around the world.

We are beyond the point of no return though because, people have convinced themselves they can’t live without FB. Everyone has forgotten that, 15 years ago, life was just fine without social media.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
This shows how stupid people are for putting their trust in sites like Facebook and Twitter. All this manipulation is happening right out in the open for everyone to see. Yet most people still see no harm in Facebook, Twitter and other social media services.

The little bit of good that comes out of these services will never out weight the destruction they are causing to cultures around the world.

We are beyond the point of no return though because, people have convinced themselves they can’t live without FB. Everyone has forgotten that, 15 years ago, life was just fine without social media.
I think it is a bit more insidious than that. For all of the railing that Americans do against the government, they still believe that it can protect them. Without the government they wouldn't have the military which keeps American interests safe. Extrapolate that feeling of government providing some measure of safety, and you have a problem where I think many believe that if Russia really was interfering with Facebook, Twitter, et. al., then the government would come out and do something about it.

Right now, I believe proclamations about interference affect every American in roughly the same way. "Oh those bad Russians. It's a shame they are duping those other idiots on these platforms, but not me, I and my social media friends are too smart to fall for that."

Much of it stems from humans inherent nature to be terrible at evaluating risk. What isn't covered by our poor risk estimation, is then impacted by our inherent nature to overestimate our own capability. Social media seems almost like the perfect melding of marketing, psychology, sociology, and evil designed to take advantage of everything we've learned about human nature over the past 100 years and weaponize it into creating the perfect system to foster tribalism.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think it is a bit more insidious than that. For all of the railing that Americans do against the government, they still believe that it can protect them. Without the government they wouldn't have the military which keeps American interests safe. Extrapolate that feeling of government providing some measure of safety, and you have a problem where I think many believe that if Russia really was interfering with Facebook, Twitter, et. al., then the government would come out and do something about it.

Right now, I believe proclamations about interference affect every American in roughly the same way. "Oh those bad Russians. It's a shame they are duping those other idiots on these platforms, but not me, I and my social media friends are too smart to fall for that."

Much of it stems from humans inherent nature to be terrible at evaluating risk. What isn't covered by our poor risk estimation, is then impacted by our inherent nature to overestimate our own capability. Social media seems almost like the perfect melding of marketing, psychology, sociology, and evil designed to take advantage of everything we've learned about human nature over the past 100 years and weaponize it into creating the perfect system to foster tribalism.
I was stunned, literally stunned, to learn the degree to which Americans get their news from Facebook. There is no control whatsoever over what gets published on Facebook. It does not have to be published by "Vladimir's News Network" for me to be skeptical of what I read on Facebook. (Needless to say, I do not have a real Facebook account; according to my Facebook page I died in 1833.)
Here is an interesting take on the news.
The Fiat News Index
I cannot vouch for Epsilon Theory, but they show their methodology, so I don't have to.
What they find is, in relative terms, that media outlets from Vox to Reuters tell you not just the facts, but how to think about the news.
Fortunately, the concept of fiat news we so often write about isn’t really about bias – or at least, it’s about far more than bias. Fiat news is about the press telling you how to think about issues. Fiat news is about the presentation of opinions as facts, regardless of whether they consistently favor one group or another.
This is not an absolute rating, but a relative rating.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Here is an open-source example of Russian information ops/social media exploitation(from Wikipedia):

This shows how cynical the Russians are about interfering in western countries. They could not care less about "the islamization of Texas," or about "saving Islamic knowledge." They just want the two groups to clash violently to spread chaos in the West.
At the same time I think we're blaming Russia for throwing salt in wounds of our own creation. They're only poking at sores that have been festering for generations.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

At the same time I think we're blaming Russia for throwing salt in wounds of our own creation. They're only poking at sores that have been festering sometimes for generations.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.