Clinton implies Russia wants Gabbard as 3rd-party candidate - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Clinton implies Russia wants Gabbard as 3rd-party candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Here is an open-source example of Russian information ops/social media exploitation(from Wikipedia):

This shows how cynical the Russians are about interfering in western countries. They could not care less about "the islamization of Texas," or about "saving Islamic knowledge." They just want the two groups to clash violently to spread chaos in the West.
    At the same time I think we're blaming Russia for throwing salt in wounds of our own creation. They're only poking at sores that have been festering sometimes for generations.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    At the same time I think we're blaming Russia for throwing salt in wounds of our own creation. They're only poking at sores that have been festering sometimes for generations.
    Russia did not create these divisions. It just exploits pre-existing ones.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Best way to solve Russia's outside influence is to fix these animosities and fears baked into our culture.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Best way to solve Russia's outside influence is to fix these animosities and fears baked into our culture.
    When in the history of any country were not internal conflicts?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Never but many of ours are pretty deep and largely unexamined politically.

They've funded a multi-billion dollar state-sponsored industry to poke at those sores and try to create more. Why not blame them?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Yeah I didn’t really intend to sound like I’m not blaming them for what they obviously are doing. I just think we should take some self examination on what they’re exploiting and see if we can take that vector away from them. Sometimes that isn’t a strictly political solution though.

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    I think it is a bit more insidious than that. For all of the railing that Americans do against the government, they still believe that it can protect them. Without the government they wouldn't have the military which keeps American interests safe. Extrapolate that feeling of government providing some measure of safety, and you have a problem where I think many believe that if Russia really was interfering with Facebook, Twitter, et. al., then the government would come out and do something about it.

Right now, I believe proclamations about interference affect every American in roughly the same way. "Oh those bad Russians. It's a shame they are duping those other idiots on these platforms, but not me, I and my social media friends are too smart to fall for that."

Much of it stems from humans inherent nature to be terrible at evaluating risk. What isn't covered by our poor risk estimation, is then impacted by our inherent nature to overestimate our own capability. Social media seems almost like the perfect melding of marketing, psychology, sociology, and evil designed to take advantage of everything we've learned about human nature over the past 100 years and weaponize it into creating the perfect system to foster tribalism.
    The Russkies have declared war on the USA and people are acting like it's just business as usual...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Yeah I didn’t really intend to sound like I’m not blaming them for what they obviously are doing. I just think we should take some self examination on what they’re exploiting and see if we can take that vector away from them. Sometimes that isn’t a strictly political solution though.
    Propaganda works.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Propaganda works.
    It works less well when the target audience thinks critically instead of tribally.

Russia’s Troll Farm Is Kind of [Pooping]* the Bed on Facebook
    https://news.yahoo.com/russia-troll-...210454203.html

"The accounts were largely devoted to sowing division, but when they directly addressed the 2020 election, they followed the IRA’s 2016 playbook to the letter. The “conservative” accounts attacked liberals and heaped praise on Donald Trump, while “liberal” accounts derided the president while vocally supporting Bernie Sanders over Democratic frontrunners. Joe Biden is singled out for criticism in much the same way as Clinton in 2016.
    Notably, Democrat Tulsi Gabbard, a favorite of Russia’s state-owned media, isn’t featured at all in the posts shared by Graphika and Facebook, despite recently being labeled a “Russian asset” by Hillary Clinton."

* I am not sure what this term is intended to mean in this context and I do not know why the editor allowed this word to go into the article title. Not for prudish reasons, the word is merely unhelpful in this context. After all, what exactly does "pooping the bed" mean in this context?
    Last edited by Tidewater; October 23rd, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

propaganda does indeed work

just fyi,

the nyt corrected their story from friday. they mis-quoted clinton.

On Friday, the NYT did a piece about a podcast Secretary Clinton did with David Plouffe. They incorrectly quoted her saying that the “Russians” were “grooming” a candidate running in the Democratic primary. They rightfully fixed it to reflect that she was taking about the GOP.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    propaganda does indeed work just fyi, the nyt corrected their story from friday. they mis-quoted clinton.
    The mistake was made, so far as Tulsi is concerned, I'm sure. The term "Russian asset" would seem to be hard to confuse with the GOP. "Russian asset" used to have a specific meaning in an espionage context. I fear it's losing its meaning in popular usage...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

* I am not sure what this term is intended to mean in this context and I do not know why the editor allowed this word to go into the article title. Not for prudish reasons, the word is merely unhelpful in this context. After all, what exactly does "pooping the bed" mean in this context?
    I didn't know what it meant, either...