Clinton implies Russia wants Gabbard as 3rd-party candidate

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
At the same time I think we're blaming Russia for throwing salt in wounds of our own creation. They're only poking at sores that have been festering sometimes for generations.
Russia did not create these divisions. It just exploits pre-existing ones.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Best way to solve Russia's outside influence is to fix these animosities and fears baked into our culture.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At the same time I think we're blaming Russia for throwing salt in wounds of our own creation. They're only poking at sores that have been festering sometimes for generations.
They've funded a multi-billion dollar state-sponsored industry to poke at those sores and try to create more. Why not blame them?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah I didn’t really intend to sound like I’m not blaming them for what they obviously are doing. I just think we should take some self examination on what they’re exploiting and see if we can take that vector away from them. Sometimes that isn’t a strictly political solution though.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think it is a bit more insidious than that. For all of the railing that Americans do against the government, they still believe that it can protect them. Without the government they wouldn't have the military which keeps American interests safe. Extrapolate that feeling of government providing some measure of safety, and you have a problem where I think many believe that if Russia really was interfering with Facebook, Twitter, et. al., then the government would come out and do something about it.

Right now, I believe proclamations about interference affect every American in roughly the same way. "Oh those bad Russians. It's a shame they are duping those other idiots on these platforms, but not me, I and my social media friends are too smart to fall for that."

Much of it stems from humans inherent nature to be terrible at evaluating risk. What isn't covered by our poor risk estimation, is then impacted by our inherent nature to overestimate our own capability. Social media seems almost like the perfect melding of marketing, psychology, sociology, and evil designed to take advantage of everything we've learned about human nature over the past 100 years and weaponize it into creating the perfect system to foster tribalism.
The Russkies have declared war on the USA and people are acting like it's just business as usual...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah I didn’t really intend to sound like I’m not blaming them for what they obviously are doing. I just think we should take some self examination on what they’re exploiting and see if we can take that vector away from them. Sometimes that isn’t a strictly political solution though.
Propaganda works.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Propaganda works.
It works less well when the target audience thinks critically instead of tribally.

Russia’s Troll Farm Is Kind of [Pooping]* the Bed on Facebook
https://news.yahoo.com/russia-troll-farm-kind-sh-210454203.html

"The accounts were largely devoted to sowing division, but when they directly addressed the 2020 election, they followed the IRA’s 2016 playbook to the letter. The “conservative” accounts attacked liberals and heaped praise on Donald Trump, while “liberal” accounts derided the president while vocally supporting Bernie Sanders over Democratic frontrunners. Joe Biden is singled out for criticism in much the same way as Clinton in 2016.
Notably, Democrat Tulsi Gabbard, a favorite of Russia’s state-owned media, isn’t featured at all in the posts shared by Graphika and Facebook, despite recently being labeled a “Russian asset” by Hillary Clinton."

* I am not sure what this term is intended to mean in this context and I do not know why the editor allowed this word to go into the article title. Not for prudish reasons, the word is merely unhelpful in this context. After all, what exactly does "pooping the bed" mean in this context?

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
propaganda does indeed work

just fyi,

the nyt corrected their story from friday. they mis-quoted clinton.

On Friday, the NYT did a piece about a podcast Secretary Clinton did with David Plouffe. They incorrectly quoted her saying that the “Russians” were “grooming” a candidate running in the Democratic primary. They rightfully fixed it to reflect that she was taking about the GOP.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
propaganda does indeed work just fyi, the nyt corrected their story from friday. they mis-quoted clinton.
The mistake was made, so far as Tulsi is concerned, I'm sure. The term "Russian asset" would seem to be hard to confuse with the GOP. "Russian asset" used to have a specific meaning in an espionage context. I fear it's losing its meaning in popular usage...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
* I am not sure what this term is intended to mean in this context and I do not know why the editor allowed this word to go into the article title. Not for prudish reasons, the word is merely unhelpful in this context. After all, what exactly does "pooping the bed" mean in this context?
I didn't know what it meant, either...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Google “poop the bed” (replacing poop with a word I can’t say here) and you can see a definition. It means to really mess up. Similar to screw the pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Google “poop the bed” (replacing poop with a word I can’t say here) and you can see a definition. It means to really mess up. Similar to screw the pooch.
I get that. I've heard the term before, it does not fit in this context. The Russian propagandists have not "pooped" the bed. Did the author mean that they have erred in being discovered by Facebook? I've got news for the author. The Russians can create new fake Facebook accounts faster than Facebook can turn them off.
Did the author mean that the Russian Internet Research Agency has messed up by backing undesirable candidates inside the United States? It's hard to say an organization has "pooped the bed" by doing what it was created to do.
I think that the author/editors of Daily Beast just liked seeing the phrase "pooped" the bed in their headline. Maybe they think its "edgy."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Can someone point me to where Clinton said "Russian Asset?" Everywhere I look, she said that Gabbard was a favorite of the Russians. Those have always had separate meanings...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
clinton actually never said she was a favorite of the russians . the nyt messed up the reporting last friday conflating russians and republicans

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
clinton actually never said she was a favorite of the russians . the nyt messed up the reporting last friday conflating russians and republicans
I know that. I'm still reading "Russian asset" all over the place. I can't find anywhere she said that...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i think she actually called jill stein a russian asset. i saw it earlier today, i’ll see if I can find it again
I Googled it and I couldn't find that exact term. In the past, in espionage, that term mean either an agent or someone so compromised that they had to act in the interests of the managing agency. I'd appreciate a cite/url...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.