Is it just me...or is UGA/Boise looking like easy money....

Ivory Tusk

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 27, 2005
Panhandle, FL
...of course I'm talking "play money" since it's not legal to gamble ;)

UGA -7 vs Boise St.
I know Boise has had a great record the last several years BUT they didn't beat a single Div1 team last year with a winning record. Also Boise on the road last year allowed an avg of 37 pts per game. Not to mention it will be a little hot after coming from Idaho to the humid heat of Georgia in early Sept.

I think Boise will hang for a while but the heat and overall talent of UGA will kick in and 7 pts will be covered easy.

Ivory Tusk

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 27, 2005
Panhandle, FL
Yeah but I can't see UGA getting up for GA southern....

TideRollsInVa said:
Openers are so difficult to determine and that is one reason for the 7 pts I would think. Wasn't it Ga Southern that gave them fits this time last year?
I would think this time around UGA will not be looking past Boise and this year UGA hasn't gotten the "press" they did the last few years. Gotta think they will want to come out and prove something...with all the talk (media) about Meyer at UF and UT's talent. I think UGA is gonna try to make a statement early.

Or at least I hope ;)

Born_a_Tider

3rd Team
Jul 31, 2005
Montgomery, AL
www.GameDayZone.com
GA 2005 is not GA 2004

They lost a lot of key personnel and they have an unproven QB. Oddsmakers may be taking into account the injury bug that has hit them this year. Some of the freshman (I can go back and look) will not be available. Add this to having a difficult time with openers and the line looks about right.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
UGA giving 7 probably should be good, but I'm putting more weight behind the heat/humidity factor than anything else. I'm very impressed with Dan Hawkins as a HC. Those kids absolutely believe in him and play WFO on every play for him. He's gonna make some big program very happy someday.

Boclive

All-American
Sep 6, 2002
I'm taking UGA -7 and betting everything I have. Second mortgage and all. :biggrin2:

jdpas29

All-American
this game is going to be a case of "which defense has the most stamina"...

i can see the Georgia defense slowing down the Boise State offense, but i just don't see the Boise defense being able to stop the power running game that Georgia brings to the table.

Georgia controls the clock in this one. As long as they don't let Shockley try to throw the ball more than about 12 times, uga will win by 14.

Ivory Tusk

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 27, 2005
Panhandle, FL
Yeah but Boise plays NOBODY....

TommyMac said:
UGA giving 7 probably should be good, but I'm putting more weight behind the heat/humidity factor than anything else. I'm very impressed with Dan Hawkins as a HC. Those kids absolutely believe in him and play WFO on every play for him. He's gonna make some big program very happy someday.
Plus before Hawkins there was Dirk Koetter...he had Boise 10-2 & 10-3 before Hawkins took over (Koetter was the hot comodity and now is at Ariz. st. 26-23 record).

Boise plays nobody...Check out their schedule over the last few years..they do not schedule any tuff out of conference games and their conference sucks.
Don't forget just a couple of years ago everyone was raving about Boise St. They finished 12-1 and blew everyone out.....EXCEPT for one game.
Arkansas beat them 41 - 14. I don't think Boise scored less than 40 the rest of the year...but then again they were not playing SEC quality teams.

U-A

All-American
Jul 15, 2004
New Orleans, LA
IMO, this isn't easy money but REAL EASY MONEY.

People say UGA struggles in openers because of last year's slow start...what about the year before where they beat then ranked Clemson 30-0 with a brand new OL, RB, and I think like 10+ suspensions including starters all around?

BSU also lost 2 WR's, 2 DB's, and have walk-on's playing at several positions.

Remember, their QB was not the most accurate passer last year as his TD/INT ratio was not that great.

BSU plays NOBODY and struggles on the road. They have up 40+ to Tulsa and San Jose State on the road for crying out loud.

DJ Shockley has sucked in some games but has also played fantastic in others, such as Clemson games in 2002/2003 and I thought he did well against us in 2003.

UGA returns a full OL, RB, and everyone on the DL except for Pollack.

UGA murders BSU

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Well, "murders" might be going a bit far, but I tend to agree with the general theme of the thread. BSU may hang close, maybe even about halfway through the third quarter, but unless this is one of those days with cloud cover and a thunderstorm, I just think the boys from Idaho are going to have trouble dealing with the heat, humidity and UGA's running game. I think you give the points, but then I don't bet on people.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Ivory Tusk said:
Plus before Hawkins there was Dirk Koetter...he had Boise 10-2 & 10-3 before Hawkins took over (Koetter was the hot comodity and now is at Ariz. st. 26-23 record).

Boise plays nobody...Check out their schedule over the last few years..they do not schedule any tuff out of conference games and their conference sucks.
Don't forget just a couple of years ago everyone was raving about Boise St. They finished 12-1 and blew everyone out.....EXCEPT for one game.
Arkansas beat them 41 - 14. I don't think Boise scored less than 40 the rest of the year...but then again they were not playing SEC quality teams.
I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Hawkins isn't a good coach because he can't take WAC level talent and beat SEC teams, or other BCS conference teams for that matter? He can't pull that off, nor could anyone else that I know of. The point I was trying to make is that he seems to get the max out of his players. Why would you expect more?

Ivory Tusk

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 27, 2005
Panhandle, FL
I guess what I'm trying to say about Hawkins....

TommyMac said:
I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Hawkins isn't a good coach because he can't take WAC level talent and beat SEC teams, or other BCS conference teams for that matter? He can't pull that off, nor could anyone else that I know of. The point I was trying to make is that he seems to get the max out of his players. Why would you expect more?
He wasn't the one to build Boise St. into the high flying offense that is now. The coach prior to him was also winning 10 games a year at Boise. However it didn't parlay into the same success at Ariz St.
Hawkins may be good coach for someone someday. However I have more respect for someone like Patrino at Lousiville that wins but will also challenge teams like Miami. Heck even Bower at Southern Miss plays the big boys tough. I just would like to see Hawkins schedule some games (like he did this year) with some power programs and see how he does.
So far he has been smacked by Ark. but if he can't beat or play it close with UGA I will change my opinion.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Trust me, as someone who knows Boise State you are rediculous to bet against him. Koetter did not bring in the offense that Boise runs. Koetter was a pass oriented offense where as Boise under Hawkins has the most complex and balanced offense in the nation. They can change the gameplan on a dime just ask Oregon State and Hawaii.
You say that they can't compete but they beat the Hawaii team 69-3 that beat us and Michigan State. They pounded Fresno State that beat Virginia in a bowl game, and they beat crushed the same Oregon State team that should have beat LSU.
And let's not forget how Ga, with a call going their way would have lost to Marshall had the bad call went the other way. Also look how Div II Ga. Southern gave Ga fits. Boise is a much better team than both of those.
I hear all this talk of humidity, but how did it help us against UCLA, Oklahoma and Northern Ill? How did it help Auburn against USC? Also, if you look at the forcast it is not going to be that hot at gametime (in the 70's ) so the heat humidity will be little concern.

Hawkins is probably the best young coach out there. His playbook is the thickest of any coach. Boise was the second youngest team in Div I and are loaded with speed.
As Hawkins said to ESPN before the Oregon State game " give me one quarter and we will win." which is very truewhen you look at most of Boise's games. Against Oregon State, Boise initially tried to pass the ball and was down 17-3 after the first quarter. From there Boise changed to a power running game and put up over fifty on Oregon State. Against Hawaii the initially tried the run game against Hawaii and when that was having problems they went to the air. They ended up putting up 69 on Hawaii. They put up over sixty on Fresno.
While I do think that Ga will win the game, never be fooled into thinking that Boise isn't going to be in the race.
Boise is also starting to get noticed by top recruits. When they start putting those players into their system, look out.

Hawk has also turned top recruits away and told them that Boise is not the place for them if they want to go to a fancy weight rooms and such. The thing is, Boise is now getting fancy facilities.

U-A

All-American
Jul 15, 2004
New Orleans, LA
Mamacalled said:
And let's not forget how Ga, with a call going their way would have lost to Marshall had the bad call went the other way. Also look how Div II Ga. Southern gave Ga fits. Boise is a much better team than both of those.
They also beat LSU 10,000 - 0 so you can't use those games as basing points for your argument. As for Marshall, they beat them and in the 1st half had several ridiculous calls go against them so I would say they beat them quite fairly. Pass interference call I believe in the 2nd quarter was absurd and killed a UGA drive. As for Georgia Southern, UGA beat the snot out of them from the middle 2nd quarter on....I wouldn't exactly say UGA struggled....nor would I use Southern as an example when they run that type of offense that is really never used by anyone but Paul Johnson teams.

BSU's D got torched against 2 and 3 win teams on the road and against Louisville, their offense barely ever got off the ground. Heck, they gave up 300 yards ON THE GROUND to Louisville.

With an entire OL and RB set back at UGA, think they won't have a field day on the ground?

Heck, BSU was 94th I think Pass Defense wise as well last year....

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
The pass is where you will see the Ga win or loss. Boise has a problem in the cornerback position and Ga will need to take advantage of this. If they can't who knows what we will see.
There has not been a whole lot of success against Boise on the ground though and their line is not much smaller than Ga's. Boise's team, though, creates alot of turnovers.
Again, I say Ga wins but don't be suprised that a team returning all but 2 starters can hang with Ga that lost Reggie Brown, Pollack and Greene. Also remember, Shockey has yet to show if he can win a game. I think Shockey will be fine but he does have alot of ???s.

U-A

All-American
Jul 15, 2004
New Orleans, LA
BSU needs to replace two of their OL's....two of their best, imo....and one of those starting was/is a walk-on.

Add in some new DB's and I believe they lost one of their corners...it could be a long day

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.