Tua has had surgery per ESPN

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A friend of mine who follows college football (but not Bama) said to me, "You know why Brady is still playing in his 40s? He never takes a hit he does not need to."
It remains Tua's greatest weakness, the inability to just throw the ball away. Sometimes, the defense just wins. Throw the ball away. Live to play another down.
Oh, well, a speedy recovery to the young man.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A friend of mine who follows college football (but not Bama) said to me, "You know why Brady is still playing in his 40s? He never takes a hit he does not need to."
It remains Tua's greatest weakness, the inability to just throw the ball away. Sometimes, the defense just wins. Throw the ball away. Live to play another down.
100% correct.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I know he will be ready for iron bowl, but not sure he will be healthy enough to carry Bama against LSU. I’m hoping to be wrong, but I think this puts a dent in the hopes of beating LSU. Nothing can be done and it was no ones fault. It is just one of those things that happen.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I was screaming throw it away to on that play and the interception.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What makes him great, is also what makes him vulnerable....

Some guys in the heat of battle revert to their comfort zone....

For the second game in a row, I saw a Tua that was going to force something spectacular.....and it backfired

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know he will be ready for iron bowl, but not sure he will be healthy enough to carry Bama against LSU. I’m hoping to be wrong, but I think this puts a dent in the hopes of beating LSU. Nothing can be done and it was no ones fault. It is just one of those things that happen.
He was still playing on one leg two weeks after the last surgery. In fact, as I mentioned in the post thread, he said in an interview that he wasn't normal until May...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He was still playing on one leg two weeks after the last surgery. In fact, as I mentioned in the post thread, he said in an interview that he wasn't normal until May...
We will have to weigh - is a 60% Tua VS 100% Mac.....

One can hit a receiver on a slant in stride at 60%
The other might not be able to at 100%

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
We will have to weigh - is a 60% Tua VS 100% Mac.....

One can hit a receiver on a slant in stride at 60%
The other might not be able to at 100%
Tua @ 60% all day. Remember this isn’t his plant foot like last year. He’ll play against LSU.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
But he hasn't...
Heh, I just noticed I used the wrong tense. Meant to type has.

I'm just hoping for a silver lining. If we get a more reserved Tua that doesn't just say he's learned, but has actually learned to live to fight another day and throw the ball away... it will go a long way toward an Alabama championship. He doesn't have to be perfect, against Oklahoma he wasn't 100% and he was still plenty sharp.

I'll take a Tua at 85% that throws the ball away instead of forcing it and risking injury and interception.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
If he is ready to play vs LSU, I wonder when he will actually be ready to practice. He will need to get back into a rhythm after missing a few weeks.

I hope he is ready and effective vs LSU, but they will try to hurt him every time.

I don't understand why he just didn't throw the ball away. It seems he is at a higher risk of injury with tackles than others are.

I re-watched the first half again this afternoon. He did not seem to limp as much as he did last year with the same injury. He even completed a pass and was about to line up again. Maybe it's not as serious as last year's, even though its a high ankle sprain. He and the team just can't seem to get past the injuries.

I hope he recovers quickly.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I'll take a Tua at 85% that throws the ball away instead of forcing it and risking injury and interception.
The sad part is if not for pressing the play, and just throw it into the stands he'd possibly still be 100% healthy.

(Another year at Bama to master that technique would be OK)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
On the play that he was injured, I think he simply underestimated that DL's speed... :cool2:

No more than he was limping, I think he will be fine by the Corndog Bowl in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A couple of points:

* This is not his plant foot, so he does not need as full a recovery to be a completely effective passer against LSU.
* The injury was not as severe as the injury last year, so he will heal more quickly than he did last year.
* That said, his mobility will be affected for the rest of the season. He has to learn to throw it away.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So trying to turn this back to the actual surgery rather than barbecuing the guy for the “should have made a better decision”...

I think the injury is no where near as bad as last years. I think they decided to do the procedure to keep it from getting any worse. Realizing some damage was done and that playing on it would only make it worse. That’s why I think the short timeline to get back on it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.