Question: So do we go back to old school Alabama football against Arkansas?

rocko1989

Nov 13, 2008
The offense has certainly changed a great deal from what we saw early in Saban’s tenure at ‘Bama. With the WR weapons on the team, I think the O will still reflect the mindset we have seen in the past few years. Will the game plan be exactly the same as with Tua? I doubt it. The coaching staff will probably have a game plan in place to utilize Mac’s strengths, which they know better than anyone. Some short passes to build up Mac’s confidence will help get things started. The coaching staff believe Mac can perform, or they would not have recruited him.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I just hope bama wins this Saturday. I believe they will, but they're already paper thin at various positions and the DL got manhandled several time in the game against tennessee. I don't think Arky has the OL to push Bama's DL around, but I honestly didn't think tennessee would have been able to push some of our guys back like they did.
^THIS^

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I just hope bama wins this Saturday. I believe they will, but they're already paper thin at various positions and the DL got manhandled several time in the game against tennessee. I don't think Arky has the OL to push Bama's DL around, but I honestly didn't think tennessee would have been able to push some of our guys back like they did.
It also didn’t help when the LBs were in the wrong spot. And I mean way off. They’re young so that’s going to happen. We just don’t have the bodies we need at DL. We’re consistently running three freshmen there too. They just aren’t as man strong as they will be. They’ll get there. Hopefully it’ll be soon enough.[emoji1696]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Long bombs may be a safer alternative than intermediate passes in the middle. Trust your future first rounders to make the play. one of 4 things happens on a bomb:
1) long completion/TD
2) ball knocked down
3) defensive PI penalty
4) interception far down the field with defender's momentum in wrong direction for big run back.
2 of 4 are good and none of 4 are all that terrible

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I say just run the offense. Tailor it a bit to suit what he does best, but just run it. He will now have all week with the starters, and will hopefully get in sync with the WRs.

OL needs to play with a fire they've not shown a lot, but I fully believe they are capable of. They were already starting to come around over the last couple of weeks.

The defense is what it is. We can outscore Arkansas. We can outscore Mississippi State. Beyond that, just get Tua healthy, but let Mac run the thing as normal as possible just in case, so he is as ready as he can be.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have a feeling that Mac's gonna come out and look awesome. He won't be Tua, but I suspect he'll impress some folks after a week practicing with the 1s.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have a feeling that Mac's gonna come out and look awesome. He won't be Tua, but I suspect he'll impress some folks after a week practicing with the 1s.
I have the same feeling, and if I had to bet on this game I would take Alabama and lay the points.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Not every quarterback can come in cold and play well but after a week of prep I've seen them do much better. So I'm going to just watch this play out before I pass any judgement on Mac. I'm sure there are things he's good at that will be part of the game plan. To me the main prep work needs to focus on the blitz. Tennessee immediately sent the hail mary blitz on him and in the case where he got the pass off to Harris, if that pass were just a little more accurate Harris was gone for 6. I expect Arkansas to send the house so if Mac can be prepared for that we can get some huge backbreaking plays off it, but he's got to be ready for it. Mac's got to also know that if the blockers totally whiff on the blitz it's just better to go down and take the loss than to throw an errant pass that gets housed for 6. I'm not too concerned about that because he's been in the system and knows how important ball control is.

As for Lia, He's thrown one pass. Granted it was amazing, but one pass. I'm not ready to crown him the better QB.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
“I mean, like I said, we all practice the same things with the same guys,” Ruggs said. “Any guy can come in and make plays; if they need Slade to go at quarterback, obviously he threw a touchdown pass, so I feel like he could throw seven more if he wanted to.”
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/10/what-you-need-to-know-about-mac-jones-alabamas-starting-qb-for-now.html

Totally agree CA.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Not every quarterback can come in cold and play well but after a week of prep I've seen them do much better. So I'm going to just watch this play out before I pass any judgement on Mac. I'm sure there are things he's good at that will be part of the game plan. To me the main prep work needs to focus on the blitz. Tennessee immediately sent the hail mary blitz on him and in the case where he got the pass off to Harris, if that pass were just a little more accurate Harris was gone for 6. I expect Arkansas to send the house so if Mac can be prepared for that we can get some huge backbreaking plays off it, but he's got to be ready for it. Mac's got to also know that if the blockers totally whiff on the blitz it's just better to go down and take the loss than to throw an errant pass that gets housed for 6. I'm not too concerned about that because he's been in the system and knows how important ball control is.

As for Lia, He's thrown one pass. Granted it was amazing, but one pass. I'm not ready to crown him the better QB.
Absolutely agree.

He has a week of practice knowing he's starting, will make a big difference. He knows the offense. The differences will be his passes won't be as pinpoint accurate as Tua's usually are and can he read D's since he just doesn't have much playing experience.

How are his legs? Will he try to run on a busted play (hope not) or will he throw it away (hope so) or just eat it if nothing is there?

Lia needs to get some work, yes, but Mac needs this for some experience and confidence. He is living his dream this week....he is the starting QB for #1 Alabama....can you imagine being in that position.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is perfect place for me to drop this stuff here. I saw on another board linking to another article posted by a staffer that they noticed interesting lineup, which could mean something, or could mean nothing at all.

Ben Davis lining up with Barmore and Parks with Davis as stack LB in the middle. Now, if that holds true, gonna be interesting to how they move people around to create opportunites.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This is perfect place for me to drop this stuff here. I saw on another board linking to another article posted by a staffer that they noticed interesting lineup, which could mean something, or could mean nothing at all.

Ben Davis lining up with Barmore and Parks with Davis as stack LB in the middle. Now, if that holds true, gonna be interesting to how they move people around to create opportunites.
Even with Mack not having a lot of experience, I'd say when they play man to man, look for Ruggs, Waddle ect... We ought to win a lot of man to man battles.
Let our RBs carry the ball until they cheat up, then throw a slant.
Make em pay for their disrespect.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Why would we go backwards? Are we saying Mac can't throw a quick slant?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.