The rugby scrum needs to go in college football

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Personally, I am tired of watching running plays turn in to rugby scrums 2 to 3 times each game. Between this being allowed by rule in college football and the SEC officials being entirely too slow to blow the whistle when plays are obviously over, players are going to get hurt. Thanks for letting me rant a little.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Personally, I am tired of watching running plays turn in to rugby scrums 2 to 3 times each game. Between this being allowed by rule in college football and the SEC officials being entirely too slow to blow the whistle when plays are obviously over, players are going to get hurt. Thanks for letting me rant a little.
I like the NFL rule - players cannot push the pile.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
What seems to happen in the SEC games is the ball carrier's forward momentum is clearly stopped for a long enough period for the dang refs to blow the play dead, but of course they don't....which gives time for the 300 pounders to come plowing through with a good head of steam to push the pile. Hate to pile on the refs(not really), but I think if they would just blow these plays dead when it is clearly obvious to the average fan that it should be, then we wouldn't have these type plays.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Big safeties start torpedoing rb’s knees and it’ll stop.
Unfortunately I was thinking the same thing. Last night we had the UTe RB stopped after two yards and the pile got pushed for an additional 10 yards. I was thinking only way to stop it is to submarine the pile to get the runner to on the ground. Then you’re increasing the injury risk to several players.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Not a problem if your interior defenders are strong enough to stop the guy before the pile gets there. We aren't this year, so it has been a problem for us a few times.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not a problem if your interior defenders are strong enough to stop the guy before the pile gets there. We aren't this year, so it has been a problem for us a few times.
Not the problem pointed out above (and I agree with them). In some cases, the runner is stopped dead cold by some combination of DL and LBS and then several OL hit from behind and the pile starts to move all over again...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Not to be technical but, the term you are looking for is a rugby maul. A scrum is a set piece play like a down in football. A maul is where in open play a ball carrier is held up by contact and his teammates can bind to him and keep driving forward until stopped or collapsed to the ground. [emoji16]

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
What seems to happen in the SEC games is the ball carrier's forward momentum is clearly stopped for a long enough period for the dang refs to blow the play dead, but of course they don't....which gives time for the 300 pounders to come plowing through with a good head of steam to push the pile. Hate to pile on the refs(not really), but I think if they would just blow these plays dead when it is clearly obvious to the average fan that it should be, then we wouldn't have these type plays.
It wasn't a rugby scrum but I'm still torqued about a high school game we lost 0-7 in the late 1960's. A swarm of tacklers hit the other team's running back behind the line of scrimmage and drove him back about 10 yards but he wasn't put on the ground. We thought the ref had blown the play dead and turned the guy loose but they didn't and he ran it for a TD.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It wasn't a rugby scrum but I'm still torqued about a high school game we lost 0-7 in the late 1960's. A swarm of tacklers hit the other team's running back behind the line of scrimmage and drove him back about 10 yards but he wasn't put on the ground. We thought the ref had blown the play dead and turned the guy loose but they didn't and he ran it for a TD.
That's a long time to hold onto a grudge.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.