The rugby scrum needs to go in college football

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Personally, I am tired of watching running plays turn in to rugby scrums 2 to 3 times each game. Between this being allowed by rule in college football and the SEC officials being entirely too slow to blow the whistle when plays are obviously over, players are going to get hurt. Thanks for letting me rant a little.
I agree...it's ridiculous!!!

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I remember watching the highlights of USC-Notre Dame back in 2005 I think....when the Bush Push originated when Bush pushed Leinnart into the endzone with a slight, quick shove....it was illegal back then....when did it change?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I remember watching the highlights of USC-Notre Dame back in 2005 I think....when the Bush Push originated when Bush pushed Leinnart into the endzone with a slight, quick shove....it was illegal back then....when did it change?
It is not illegal in college - only the NFL.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
This is why I get tired of hearing the NCAA talk about player safety with the targeting rule. If they really cared about player safety they would eliminate things like this and try and stop diving at player’s knees (which ends more careers then targeting).

What the NCAA really cares about is money. Concussions became the focus because lawsuits were starting to get filed. So, when lawsuits start to get filed for knees and scrums, that’s when the NCAA will actually care. It’s not player safety, it’s their bottom line.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
It is not illegal in college - only the NFL.
My mistake, I remember controversy over the Bush Push so I thought that was illegal then and the rule had changed somewhere along the way. This is definitely a rule change that needs to be made....as long as they don't call it like the Chiefs-Titans game when Mariota got sacked and fumbled with it recovered by the Chiefs but the ref blew the play dead saying forward progress before Mariota got sacked and fumbled...even though all he did was drop back and get trucked.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
i had always thought it was illegal in college, just ignored.
The rule in college and the pros are a bit different, but looking into it they amount to the same thing. The gist of it is simple - you cannot directly push, pull or lift/carry the ball carrier in an effort to help him advance the ball. However, you can try to push/block a would be tackler off of the ball carrier. So it comes down to this - is another offensive player directly pushing or pulling on the ball carrier, or just the pile? Because if it is just the pile, you can't tell if there is a penalty or not because you could be trying to move a tackler, not the ball carrier. For that reason, these plays do not get flagged.

It seems that in the NFL there are fewer of these plays because of the size, speed and strength of the first defenders to reach the ball carrier. The play tends to end very quickly once the RB is wrapped up. Also, these guys are trying to play the game without getting hurt. A great way to get hurt is to have someone hit you from behind in a scrum.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I'm just waiting for some serious injury to occur in one of these "scrums" or "mauls" or whatever you want to call it. They are getting ridiculous. A 210 pound running back meets a 220 pound linebacker who stops him. But before the LB can get the RB on the ground, 600 or 900 pounds of O-Linemen attack from the back and push everything forward. If they are really worried about injuries, this shouldn't be allowed.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
College rules were like the NFL where no pushing was allowed. The Bush Push was illegal at the time. The push rule got changed about 1-2 years ago in college.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
In the era of player safety in which sneezing on the QB is now a personal foul one would think that allowing 15 people to pile on top of one guy and smash him like a grape would be illegal.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
As a former Rugby player for the University of Alabama I can confirm these scrums are a bad idea, players will get hurt and I don't see the play as adding anything to the game. It's like going to a nice restaurant and you look in the kitchen to see the chef is using a dirty shovel to cook your prime rib. Once the running back is no longer moving forward on his own the play should be called.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
As a former Rugby player for the University of Alabama I can confirm these scrums are a bad idea, players will get hurt and I don't see the play as adding anything to the game. It's like going to a nice restaurant and you look in the kitchen to see the chef is using a dirty shovel to cook your prime rib. Once the running back is no longer moving forward on his own the play should be called.
Pretty sure that's why the "flying wedge" was banned from football. And that's all these "mauls" are.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I agree. I think the play needs to be dead when the forward momentum stops.
Unassisted forward momentum? Cause that's the deal...the uTe play that mushed forward for another 10 yards started with the rb and 1 olineman in a bunch with 2 tide defenders and tech his momentum didn't "stop"...but then help got there and the pile started moving good again.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Watching some of the replay last night I noticed the only beef on the field on that play was Mathis and Musika. Musika was nowhere near the pile. UT had a serious weight advantage going on.

"Musika was nowhere near the pile. UT had a serious weight advantage going on."
Yeah....the women up here just love the Nachos with cheese. :eek2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.