Game Thread: World Series thread: Nationals vs Astros

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
This series is starting to remind me of 2005, when the Astros had Clemens, Roy Oswalt, and Andy Pettit for starters and got swept by the White Sox. I’ll be surprised if the series makes it back to Houston.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This series is starting to remind me of 2005, when the Astros had Clemens, Roy Oswalt, and Andy Pettit for starters and got swept by the White Sox. I’ll be surprised if the series makes it back to Houston.
The last time a team choked away a 2-0 WS while being on the road for those 2 games....... 1996 yuck.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I cannot imagine what team that was.

Im surprised I got a like from a braves fan for pointing that out... I dont know if he liked that I knew that or he just enjoys the voodoo that series put on us like Cubs fans deep down enjoyed their lore of curses despite what they said for 100 years of them.
:biggrin:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Like I said in the other threads, we were very fortunate to win the East. Many of those early Nats-Braves games (pre allstar) that the Braves won mostly boiled down to the Nats having a worse bullpen than the Braves. The Phillies and Mets were the trendy picks in the division before the season, but most people who knew baseball really were picking Braves and Nats.
Disagree that the Braves were fortunate to win the East even though I agree with the seemingly contradictory assessment that the Nats were a better team. But the Braves played better and beat the Nats H2H early, middle and late in the season. You are right about the poor Wash bp but the Braves' pen was also awful often during the season. They were good down the stretch after the initial hiccups following the 3 acquisitions.

Big was right in that the Braves shut it down too early, but I also think injuries killed us. If we had Culby, Martin, or Ender then we probably win no matter what. But I think no one was beating the Nats in the NLCS.
Agree that the injuries were a killer, especially Freeman. His play at the plate and in the field was awful and killed the Braves at crucial times during the StL series. Sometimes all he needed was just a flyball but whiffed instead.

The one thing that gives me hope watching the Nationals is that their patience and team chemistry is finally paying off. Really the Braves should follow the model, and continue to make Atlanta home for a lot of talent instead of changing it around constantly. Locking down the infield for years to come will go along way in doing that, and getting a Scherzer like #2 man on rotation would also.
Could not agree more about the chemistry though IMO, any real roster improvements that present themselves should be taken, though with the chemistry mentioned kept in mind.

Many talk about the Braves' cursed playoff history, though they are about .500 with 13 series wins since '91, though losing their last 6 or 7, but Wash's was much shorter with not one series win, though probably favored every time since 2012 - not one win. And they often lost in incredible fashion. It looked like it again vs Mil down 2 in the 8th vs Hader. But a bloop hit kept the inning alive then Soto hit a 3 run single that had funny spin and thus got past the RF. It's crazy.

But it is telling that the Nats letting Harper go, and going all in on Sanchez and Corbin has them in their first World Series.
Don't know if they let Harper go because of bad locker room influence or because they did not think he was worth the money. I don't know. Never heard of Harper being a cancer but I don't keep up with it that closely, maybe he was.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Saying the Braves were fortunate is crazy. Both team got off to a slow start and both teams had very similar records from May onward.

Winning 97 games is not “fortunate”. Braves has a 10 game lead in mid Sept. and were 5-2 against the Nats in Sept. to put them away. Then the Braves shut it down and still won the division by 4 games while loosing 11 of their last 20 and the Nats winning 8 straight.

The Braves dominated the division this year and then the injuries caught up. IMO, a healthy Braves lineup is better than this Nats lineup, Braves bullpen is better as well. The Nats have the better starters though.

In hindsight, I think the Braves starters weren’t used right in the LDS. Soroka should have started game 1 so he could’ve thrown twice. He’s our best starter and we only got 1 start out of him.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Not sure, but the home team has only won about 51% of MLB playoff games. Home field advantage does not exist in this sport.
I think ther have been times where there was some homefield due to the stadium - the Astrodome for instance, when a team was built around the geometry. I remember reading about Jose Lima, who was great his last year in the Dome, walking into Minute Maid muttering "this is no good." And he got shelled there. But the numbers don't lie.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure, but the home team has only won about 51% of MLB playoff games. Home field advantage does not exist in this sport.
There are some places that you really dont want a deciding game to be as a visiting team. None of those places are in Houston or DC, but out of the two I would say Houston having homefield advantage gives them a slight edge because of how committed their fans are compared to Washington and how their ballpark is one of those oddities.

I would say the #1 place that I wouldn't want someone to have a homefield advantage in a 7 game series is San Francisco. The wind, location, and crowd noise are huge factors at that place.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are some places that you really dont want a deciding game to be as a visiting team. None of those places are in Houston or DC, but out of the two I would say Houston having homefield advantage gives them a slight edge because of how committed their fans are compared to Washington and how their ballpark is one of those oddities.

I would say the #1 place that I wouldn't want someone to have a homefield advantage in a 7 game series is San Francisco. The wind, location, and crowd noise are huge factors at that place.
Also Fenway Park. It isn't really an advantage when they play AL teams because those teams are familiar with how to play balls off the wall, but NL teams have had a tough time with that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also Fenway Park. It isn't really an advantage when they play AL teams because those teams are familiar with how to play balls off the wall, but NL teams have had a tough time with that.
That is true, but I think when baseball turned into an analytical sport the Fenway effect lessened due to the emergence of opposite field hitters and leftys.

I think any ballpark with a sea breeze mixed with a weird structure is a difficult one to adjust to. PNC, Wrigley, and SF come to mind, but I give SF the advantage over the other two because of the team they usually field and the fans.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is true, but I think when baseball turned into an analytical sport the Fenway effect lessened due to the emergence of opposite field hitters and leftys.

I think any ballpark with a sea breeze mixed with a weird structure is a difficult one to adjust to. PNC, Wrigley, and SF come to mind, but I give SF the advantage over the other two because of the team they usually field and the fans.
The Yankees lineup was designed to take advantage of that short porch in right field for so many years. The new ballpark has no such anomalies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When the old Yankees stadium first opened right field line was 295. It was “the House Built for Ruth” :)
Yep - back in the day it had a monster center field - just huge - but you could check swing a homer down the right field line.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The Minn Metrodome was one of the better home field advantages because of the fans. The stadium itself was one of the worst of the "cookie-cutter" parks with no physical charm but the fans made it a very tough postseason park.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.