Game Thread: World Series thread: Nationals vs Astros

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jeff Passan, of ESPN.com, is whining about a single bad pitch call and calling for robot umpires. Seriously, one bad pitch call, and the pitch only missed the strike zone by a couple of inches. He needs to go back and watch game five of the 1997 NLCS - a game that was so badly called that it should have ended an umpire's career. Pitches were a foot or more off the plate and being called strikes for Hernandez while Maddux dealt with a normal strike zone.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
The sports radio people in Houston are talking goodbye Gerrit Cole we’ll never see you again. And he’s probably gone in free agency, but if goes 7 he’ll pitch some. The 2001 Series Randy Johnson won game 6 and pitched in game 7 the next day (and was the game 7 winning pitcher).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The sports radio people in Houston are talking goodbye Gerrit Cole we’ll never see you again. And he’s probably gone in free agency, but if goes 7 he’ll pitch some. The 2001 Series Randy Johnson won game 6 and pitched in game 7 the next day (and was the game 7 winning pitcher).
Johnson was a true freak of nature. Because of his height he did not have to put the same physical effort into his pitching. Most guys could not do this effectively. But you could probably get a batter or two out of Cole.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Jeff Passan, of ESPN.com, is whining about a single bad pitch call and calling for robot umpires. Seriously, one bad pitch call, and the pitch only missed the strike zone by a couple of inches. He needs to go back and watch game five of the 1997 NLCS - a game that was so badly called that it should have ended an umpire's career. Pitches were a foot or more off the plate and being called strikes for Hernandez while Maddux dealt with a normal strike zone.

Did you really have to remind us? Lol

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I will forever believe his bank account got bigger.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I try to refrain from criticizing umpires behind the plate for close strikes and balls because it is difficult to be 80% or above when you are looking at a 90mph fast ball, but the 97 NLCS was horrible and unforgivable.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I try to refrain from criticizing umpires behind the plate for close strikes and balls because it is difficult to be 80% or above when you are looking at a 90mph fast ball, but the 97 NLCS was horrible and unforgivable.
Not sure that there has ever been anything like it. Not just a blip or two but pitch after pitch after pitch...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure that there has ever been anything like it. Not just a blip or two but pitch after pitch after pitch...
Bad calls can be rationalized by acknowledging human error is a part of officiating baseball, but that was just unexplainable. That was forgetting what a strikezone is. I wish bobby put the game on protest.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bad calls can be rationalized by acknowledging human error is a part of officiating baseball, but that was just unexplainable. That was forgetting what a strikezone is. I wish bobby put the game on protest.
I do not believe in conspiracy theories, and generaly laugh them off, but that game was fixed. Nothing else explains the difference between Gregg's strike zone for Hernandez and Maddux. Whatever Gregg got paid, I hope it was worth it. It ended his career, and he is now considered one of the worst umpires in the history of the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Game 7 here we go. The home team has yet to win a game
Scherzer is starting for the Nats. He couldn't even lift his throwing arm a few days ago and was not available to pitch out of the bullpen last night. I am not sure how this is a good thing for the Nats, but the way that this series has gone, he will probably pitch a complete game shutout. :biggrin:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ll say this. I predicted a Stros in 7 series, but not like this. It’s kinda been a boring series that is desperate for a great game 7.

In the last decade this will be the 4th game 7 WS. This is probably the least interesting one because every game has been a runaway. The only way this will be a memorable one is if the Nats win because it will be 1) the Nats winning a WS and 2) the 1st championship 7 game series in any sport in which the road team won all 7 games. If the Stros win, the narrative becomes “ can they replace the Giants” as the lastest dynasty in baseball?

I am partial to the Nats winning tonight to justify the Braves made a sane decision on passing on Harper in order to build a team, but the Stros winning doesn’t bother me at all. I really want a great game more than anything at this point

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.