Game Thread: World Series thread: Nationals vs Astros

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I couldn't really watch the WS game 1 because Hulu messes up when programing switches back and forth. We had a sad Breaking news story that caused an interruption and messed up the stream, but I understand. Point is I didn't see how the Nats attacked Cole, and whether or not it is the exception and not the rule about how this Nats lineup is against these great pitchers going forward.But one thing is for certain, and that this maybe the most important game of the season for the Astros right now. Most people thought the Nats would most likely get wins over Verlander or Grienke, but hardly any thought it was possible to put 5 on Cole and steal a win. If the Nats win tonight, then it puts incredible stress on Grienke, and probably brings Cole back for Game 4.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly, I read the recap of the game today and realized that I just don't care which of these teams wins it this year. Nothing about either team inspires like or dislike.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly, I read the recap of the game today and realized that I just don't care which of these teams wins it this year. Nothing about either team inspires like or dislike.
Im kinda in the same boat. I like Verlander and Cole alot, and I like Stras and Mad Max a lot. The Stros knocked out my least favorite AL team, and the Nats knocked out two of my least favorite NL teams. But ultimately I kinda want the Nats to win a little more because 1) the Stros have done it recently, 2) the Nats have been building for this moment for years, and 3) its without the cancer of Harper that they have made it this far. Sure as a Braves fan I probably should be pulling against my division foe, but they don't have the donkey fans like the Mets and they don't try to buy championships like the Phillies. So I have no problem pulling for the Nats, but ultimately I wouldn't be bummed if the Stros won either. These teams were built the right way, and they have my respect.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, Soto and his skill and moxie were the preeminent story of game 1. To a lesser extent Zimmerman with the HR after going down 2-0 in the first, showing that Cole was not invincible - Soto struck out on 3 straight pitches his first at bat, iirc. Also, Scherzer hung in there after the disappointment of the first inning. But again Soto was far and away the story.

Both franchises have good stories. The Nats have an abysmal postseason history, worse than the Braves, and had blown one opportunity after another. Then this year were a big disappointment and failure after 50 games but then turned it on, staggering a tad down the stretch. They were down 3-1 in the 8th vs Mw and Hader in the play-in game, looking like it was over, the same ole Nats, then Soto came up with the big hit. Then they beat the heavily favored and hated Dodgers to advance the first WS in franchise history.

OTOH, Houston is a feel good story with numerous great and near-great players, having a certain elegance about them. IMO, easily the best team in baseball. But as we all know the best team often does not win a short baseball series (yes 7 games is short in baseball). There's a great deal of time and chance involved. Unless I have a specific rooting interest, I often pull for the best team, though just as often the underdog. Sometimes it changes during a series.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Cole made 2 bad pitches that cost him. Astros left several on base. Bregman has just been watching strikes.

Right now, Verlander is getting hit pretty good.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I couldn't really watch the WS game 1 because Hulu messes up when programing switches back and forth. We had a sad Breaking news story that caused an interruption and messed up the stream, but I understand. Point is I didn't see how the Nats attacked Cole, and whether or not it is the exception and not the rule about how this Nats lineup is against these great pitchers going forward.But one thing is for certain, and that this maybe the most important game of the season for the Astros right now. Most people thought the Nats would most likely get wins over Verlander or Grienke, but hardly any thought it was possible to put 5 on Cole and steal a win. If the Nats win tonight, then it puts incredible stress on Grienke, and probably brings Cole back for Game 4.
I had the same issue with Hulu last night. It was acting weird. It was pausing, it was almost an inning behind and it was only that game. Everything else was fine.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I lost interest in baseball with the strike in 94. I started back watching when the Astros started their run. I flipped over to the Lakers/Clippers game when it came on, though

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I would take Verlander any day of the week and twice on Sundays. This game is an awesome matchup between two of the best.

Washington’s late season post season surge is killing me. Normally I would sort of pull for the NL team but not Nats. I don’t like Houston so theyre out. But I like watching great pitchers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You NEVER know with baseball - NEVER. If they played 100 games Houston would probably win 55, but in a 7 game series who knows. To this point, this postseason is exactly like 1996. The Braves had swept the Dodgers 3-0, after falling behind 1-3, won 3 in a row from St. Louis by a score of 32-1, and the first 2 at Yankee Stadium by a score of 16-1. So that is 5 in a row by a combined score of 48-2 - you rarely see that in baseball, especially against postseason teams. Going back home there were some baseball writers speculating that this might be one of the great teams of all time and Atlanta might be headed for a Yankee-like dynasty, having won the WS the previous year and being so young. Then Cone beat Glavine who pitched very well. Then game 4: Braves got ahead 6-0 with Neagle pitching lights out, 2 single shutout thru 5, Jermaine Dye botched a foul ball running clumsily over the bullpen mound that was a big play. NY scored 2 more and made it 6-3. Bielecki came in with 2 on and 0 out and struck out 3 in a row. He retired the 7th giving up a walk. Then Wohlers...and Leyritz. NY won 8-6 in 10, scoring unearned runs in the 6th and 10th. NY won the next two 1-0 and 3-2. The course of baseball history changed on the Dye misplayed foul ball. (Though a supporter of his greatness, I had always been critical of Bobby Cox's maneuvering in game 4, but after seeing the sequence of events changed my mind. He really did a fine job.)

Who knows how this one will play out. Houston could win 4 in a row but Zach Grienke, who is a HOF reg season pitcher, is one of the last I would want to rely on, conversely Sanchez has always been a money postseason pitcher. They will both probably go against form. Frankly none of the starters have been lights out, just solid except for the best one, Cole, who was below avg. David Price was Greinke last year and he turned things around completely with Boston. Again, in baseball you just NEVER know. Houston could pout and get swept. Wash with 4 postseason appearances since 2012, probably favored in each, had never won one series in its 43 year history, with some excruciating losses. Take heart Atlanta :smile:. But there is time for them to blow it, though it does not look like it today. IMO, they won't, which means they probably will :smile:.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They should really cut the season down to about 100 games and give teams 2 days off per week. That way the entire season would align with post season play and teams would be built accordingly.

The multiple expansions of the playoff pool has made the 162 game schedule meaningless. They used to play that many games to decide the best teams over a long schedule and only the 4 best teams over that long season advance. They earned their spot over 5 months of play. With so many teams getting into the playoffs today, many undeserving teams get into the playoffs. And since baseball, unlike any other sport, is more about hot bats than pure talent, just getting in gives a team a shot. In fact, teams that have to fight to get in as a wildcard have an advantage as they continue to play hard all the way to the wire while the best teams rest and prepare their pitching line-ups.

This sport has become something that is not even remotely similar to the sport that I grew up watching. Championships after 1993 mean less because the regular season became meaningless.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You NEVER know with baseball - NEVER. If they played 100 games Houston would probably win 55, but in a 7 game series who knows. To this point, this postseason is exactly like 1996. The Braves had swept the Dodgers 3-0, after falling behind 1-3, won 3 in a row from St. Louis by a score of 32-1, and the first 2 at Yankee Stadium by a score of 16-1. So that is 5 in a row by a combined score of 48-2 - you rarely see that in baseball, especially against postseason teams. Going back home there were some baseball writers speculating that this might be one of the great teams of all time and Atlanta might be headed for a Yankee-like dynasty, having won the WS the previous year and being so young. Then Cone beat Glavine who pitched very well. Then game 4: Braves got ahead 6-0 with Neagle pitching lights out, 2 single shutout thru 5, Jermaine Dye botched a foul ball running clumsily over the bullpen mound that was a big play. NY scored 2 more and made it 6-3. Bielecki came in with 2 on and 0 out and struck out 3 in a row. He retired the 7th giving up a walk. Then Wohlers...and Leyritz. NY won 8-6 in 10, scoring unearned runs in the 6th and 10th. NY won the next two 1-0 and 3-2. The course of baseball history changed on the Dye misplayed foul ball. (Though a supporter of his greatness, I had always been critical of Bobby Cox's maneuvering in game 4, but after seeing the sequence of events changed my mind. He really did a fine job.)

Who knows how this one will play out. Houston could win 4 in a row but Zach Grienke, who is a HOF reg season pitcher, is one of the last I would want to rely on, conversely Sanchez has always been a money postseason pitcher. They will both probably go against form. Frankly none of the starters have been lights out, just solid except for the best one, Cole, who was below avg. David Price was Greinke last year and he turned things around completely with Boston. Again, in baseball you just NEVER know. Houston could pout and get swept. Wash with 4 postseason appearances since 2012, probably favored in each, had never won one series in its 43 year history, with some excruciating losses. Take heart Atlanta :smile:. But there is time for them to blow it, though it does not look like it today. IMO, they won't, which means they probably will :smile:.
As much of a must win Game 2 was for Houston, I think Game 3 maybe the biggest must win for Washington. Washington Stole Game 1, and won Game 2. In Game 1 they were ooutgunned on paper, and Game 2 they were equal to slightly better. Game 3 they are clearly better, and this is where most believe they have a significant advantage. So its imperative that they show it, and force the Stros to waste Cole and Verlander earlier than they wanted to, and get to save Stras and Mad Max for Game 6 and 7.

The difference in this series is that the Nationals are the hotter lineup, and its been that way through the playoffs. The Stros really outtalented the Yankees and Rays without really hitting at their potential. Now they find themselves in a dog fight against a team playing at and in some cases above their true potential.

FWIW I didnt know JV was 0-5 in WS decisions.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
As a Braves fan, after winning the division, it sucks watching the second place team from the division possibly win the WS. I'm a huge Astros fan right now but, I don't think I will watch anymore. The pain of the LDS loss is still too real and I can't stand watching the Nats win.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As a Braves fan, after winning the division, it sucks watching the second place team from the division possibly win the WS. I'm a huge Astros fan right now but, I don't think I will watch anymore. The pain of the LDS loss is still too real and I can't stand watching the Nats win.
Like I said in the other threads, we were very fortunate to win the East. Many of those early Nats-Braves games (pre allstar) that the Braves won mostly boiled down to the Nats having a worse bullpen than the Braves. The Phillies and Mets were the trendy picks in the division before the season, but most people who knew baseball really were picking Braves and Nats.

Big was right in that the Braves shut it down too early, but I also think injuries killed us. If we had Culby, Martin, or Ender then we probably win no matter what. But I think no one was beating the Nats in the NLCS.

The one thing that gives me hope watching the Nationals is that their patience and team chemistry is finally paying off. Really the Braves should follow the model, and continue to make Atlanta home for a lot of talent instead of changing it around constantly. Locking down the infield for years to come will go along way in doing that, and getting a Scherzer like #2 man on rotation would also.

But it is telling that the Nats letting Harper go, and going all in on Sanchez and Corbin has them in their first World Series.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Like I said in the other threads, we were very fortunate to win the East.
You need to stop with this. The season is 162 games long. The Braves were not fortunate - they were better. Period. They lost in the playoffs because they went into maintenance mode after they clinched and their best hitter was injured.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You need to stop with this. The season is 162 games long. The Braves were not fortunate - they were better. Period. They lost in the playoffs because they went into maintenance mode after they clinched and their best hitter was injured.
We won the division by 4 games. If just a handful of the Nats's first 57 games (especially the crazy Braves wins) goes a different way then the Nats are probably chasing the Dodgers for first place. The Braves probably won as many as they could with the mass amount of injuries that they had, but the Nats clearly hit under what was possible for them.

But the Nats are top to bottom a better version of the Braves. The only positions that the Braves hold an advantage is one outfielder, and a bullpen. Other than that, the Braves overachieved in winning the East in a year that they probably shouldn't. But the NLDS that they hosted, they clearly underachieved based on the opponent.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We won the division by 4 games. If just a handful of the Nats's first 57 games (especially the crazy Braves wins) goes a different way then the Nats are probably chasing the Dodgers for first place..
Sorry, but this is revisionist thinking. The Braves had a 10 game lead on Sept 7th when the Braves won their 3rd in a row over the Nats. It was still 7.5 games on Sept 14th when the Braves won their second in a row in the last series with the Nats, but the Braves went on cruise control once they hit that 10 game lead by beating the Nats 3 games in a row in early Sept.

You want to talk about the Nats play early in the season but ignore the fact that the Braves went 8-11 after they achieved that lead. Meanwhile the Nats finished out the regular season with 8 straight wins because they had to in order to make the playoff. The Braves would have won the division by even more than 10 games if not for the difference in the sense of urgency shown after they got that big lead. Over the course of the entire season, the Braves were better - always better - consistently better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.