Jahvon Quinerly waiver status

SlackTide

Sep 26, 2018
Birmingham
Seeing several transfer waivers being granted today on Twitter via Jeff Goodman and Jon Rothstein. I understand it's very much a case by case basis with these waivers, but hard not to get my hopes with them supposedly being given out like Halloween candy this week. Also makes me wonder what factors could be in play to either grant or deny JQ's request...

Oh well, fingers crossed regardless. I'm sure we'll have an answer soon enough with the season right around the corner.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is just a joke. They grant waivers alllll the time now for absolutely anything. The rarity now isn’t when they grant one but rather when they don’t. For an organization that supposedly puts the student athletes first it makes one scratch their head a lot on their decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I would have been completely ok with them not granting his waiver, had they not just granted 80% of the other waivers. I think it’s time for the NCAA to give public reasons why or why they don’t or do grant the waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
The NCAA is a joke but we already knew that. I have not been optimistic about JQ's waiver request but I'm still upset with the ruling yesterday because the NCAA is so inconsistent with their rulings.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm sorry to pile on but just makes no sense ... he was cleared of any wrongdoing and had to miss most of last season because of the investigation. SO why not grant him the ability to play if he's already had to sit out a whole season?

Again, I hope they win the appeal. I understand them tightening down on granting appeals but why grant a majority of others but don't in the one that makes sense? Ok. I'm don't rantin'

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I would have been completely ok with them not granting his waiver, had they not just granted 80% of the other waivers. I think it’s time for the NCAA to give public reasons why or why they don’t or do grant the waivers.
Ah, when I heard of the denial I was wondering if they provide an explanation to the University and/or student athlete. Doesn't seem fair (yeah, I know it's the NCAA) not to give some reason for the denial. We've nothing to lose by appealing and I saw that the reversal rate is nearly 50%, I just hope they make a decision quicker than the waiver committee. Perhaps UA and the Quinerly family should pull an auburn and threaten to sue.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Ah, when I heard of the denial I was wondering if they provide an explanation to the University and/or student athlete. Doesn't seem fair (yeah, I know it's the NCAA) not to give some reason for the denial. We've nothing to lose by appealing and I saw that the reversal rate is nearly 50%, I just hope they make a decision quicker than the waiver committee. Perhaps UA and the Quinerly family should pull an auburn and threaten to sue.
I believe the appeals committee has 30 days to make their decision.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
This is just another case in point for evidence where the whole transfer system is broken. Maybe we should find someone who said something mean to him at Villanova and voila, instant granting of transfer.

Why even have rules if you're going to arbitrarily take months to decide whether to grant waivers or not?

Either enforce the transfer rules on the books or eliminate them and let anybody go anywhere and play immediately. The status quo is untenable.

The NCAA is corrupt to its core. The enforcement staffs and all those with waiver-granting authority are not independent-minded.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
This is just another case in point for evidence where the whole transfer system is broken. Maybe we should find someone who said something mean to him at Villanova and voila, instant granting of transfer.
Yeah, like you know, the nuns at 'Nova rapped his knuckles with a ruler for missing a free throw, thus religious persecution, and voila!, Alabama, as a "sanctuary team" for missing free throws, could offer him immediate opportunities to miss more free throws without persecution!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-basketball-team-coming-into-its-own/

Alabama has requested a telephonic hearing with the NCAA Legislative Review Committee for Quinerly, according to sources familiar with the appeal. A telephonic review would allow Quinerly a chance to state his own case to the committee.
If Granted, It would allow Quinerly to speak directly to the committee, and allow his lawyer to speak as well. IF I understand correctly, decision could come this week.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-basketball-team-coming-into-its-own/

If Granted, It would allow Quinerly to speak directly to the committee, and allow his lawyer to speak as well. IF I understand correctly, decision could come this week.
This got my attention from this article:
Villanova transfer Jahvon Quinerly lost an appeal with the NCAA to avoid sitting out a season
https://news.tidefans.com/2019/11/02/oats-era-presents-new-chance-to-break-old-pattern/

Hopefully your link means that the issue isn't totally settled yet.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.