Question: Fan bases in the SEC (who has the worst and who has the best?)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Best - Kentucky and Vandy. Seriously, they are still there. They stick with their team no matter what.
Next - Alabama. You expect excellence, but you love your team no matter what.
Auburn, TN and aTm are cults, not fan bases. Yes, they love their program, but they will follow them into the abyss.
Then there are the rest.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Strictly football, and the least amount of problems I've encountered at games and watching games with them

1) aTm
2) Mizzou
3) USCe
4) Kentucky
5) Mississippi St
6) Alabama
7) LSU
8) Tennessee
9) Arkansas
10) Auburn
11) Ole miss
12) UF
13) UGA

Really have never met a Vandy fan, or been to a Vandy game so I really have no opinion.

As far as where I rank Alabama as an Alabama fan... Lets just say if you go to enough games and take the crimson colored glasses off for a second then you will see that our donkey fans are more numerous at games than just about every other fanbase in the SEC. Our bandwagoners are most of our problem as a fanbase.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
GEORGIA: Beautiful campus and lots of pretty girls...and an army of complete maroons to guarantee that we never want to see either...seriously, much worse than the boog fans. (At least they bring toilet paper to clean up after themselves...):Joker_PDT_07: on TideFans.com

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As far as where I rank Alabama as an Alabama fan... Lets just say if you go to enough games and take the crimson colored glasses off for a second then you will see that our donkey fans are more numerous at games than just about every other fanbase in the SEC. Our bandwagoners are most of our problem as a fanbase.
You really cannot judge a fan base when they are going through what Alabama is going through right now. I remember how many Miami fans there were all over America in the 90's. They were everywhere, talking smack. But most had never seen the campus or attended a game. They were not Miami fans - they were hangers-on, trying to lift themselves up by associating themselves with a winning program - even a program with all of the warts that Miami had.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
You really cannot judge a fan base when they are going through what Alabama is going through right now. I remember how many Miami fans there were all over America in the 90's. They were everywhere, talking smack. But most had never seen the campus or attended a game. They were not Miami fans - they were hangers-on, trying to lift themselves up by associating themselves with a winning program - even a program with all of the warts that Miami had.
I'm seeing this right now in Florida with the Gators. Gator fans are coming out of the woodwork right now. I ignore all of them except for the ones I know have stayed with it through the rough patch.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm seeing this right now in Florida with the Gators. Gator fans are coming out of the woodwork right now. I ignore all of them except for the ones I know have stayed with it through the rough patch.
Well, at least they are in Florida. :biggrin:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree, but if we are talking about the present then we have to include our bandwagoners. I think when Alabama comes back down closer to the rest of the pack, then we will lose alot of them, and they will go back to whatever they did before, and our fanbase will probably more be more classy as a whole like we were in the 80's, 90's ,and early 2000's

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
You bring up an uncomfortable dilemma...Win w/sidewalk fans that don't represent your school in the most favorable light...or play in the Capitol One bowl against Michigan State every year but be known as a classy fan base? Personally, I'll take the extra time to explain the sidewalk folks while I count to 17...18???
I agree, but if we are talking about the present then we have to include our bandwagoners. I think when Alabama comes back down closer to the rest of the pack, then we will lose alot of them, and they will go back to whatever they did before, and our fanbase will probably more be more classy as a whole like we were in the 80's, 90's ,and early 2000's

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I'm too biased to pick the best. But UGA fans are the worst, with UT close behind.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In my experience.... just about every team in Florida (pro and college) dial it up to 11 in overall rudeness and cockyness when their team has some success. Living through Florida fans when Spurrier and Meyer were running the show was as about as unbearable as it got.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In my experience.... just about every team in Florida (pro and college) dial it up to 11 in overall rudeness and cockyness when their team has some success. Living through Florida fans when Spurrier and Meyer were running the show was as about as unbearable as it got.
That is when the patient fan bides his time and takes notes on who to talk to when the pendulum swings the other way.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Arkansas and Ole Miss - we were once a big deal and some way, some day, we will again be the greatest in all the world. Every game they lose is because of some sort of conspiracy against them.

Auburn - measures themselves entirely by Alabama at all times; this would not be so bad except they're fond of cherry picking data that makes them look vastly superior to us (they'll start in 1993 with, "Alabama has more probations than unbeaten seasons since 1993" or "Auburn has more unbeaten seasons than UA since 1993" - they literally measure themselves by us.

Alabama - unfortunately, the most clueless ones are also the loudest

Florida - they switch teams in that state depending on whom is doing well

Georgia and ATM - morally superior to everyone, they "win the right way" and if they lose, it's because of some character deficiency in you bending the rules; they'd be Alabama but Bryant was too chicken to play them so he rigged the game with Butts. Yadda yadda yadda.

Kentucky and Vandy - the Cubs fans of the SEC

LSU - the Eighth Level of Hell

Mississippi State - the Saints fans of the SEC; they will joke about the fact that their wins against top flight teams are the stuff of legend while bemoaning losses to obviously inferior teams as "not even surprising."

South Carolina - I mean, I neither know nor care tbh with you.

Tennessee - the duck billed platypus of the SEC; a joke played by God.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Not counting my own ... you guys should know.

Bad:

Georgia - inebriated adults barking, seriously.
Florida - jorts, visors, etc.
Arkansas - just bad
Auburn - I'll never get over the Bear Bryant skeletons but in person, they seem meh ok.

Good:

Miss St - good folks
A&M - good folks but the male cheerleading thing is weird.
Ole Miss - beautiful women
South Carolina - good folks
Mizzou - they seem nice
Kentucky - in football, they're aight - basketball, they're ok.

Special mention:

LSU - online, terrible; irl: not bad, good folks
Tennessee - their fans are fine, good people but I hope they never win another game
Vandy - never met a real Vandy fan.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm going to qualify mine and limit my rankings according to two things: having lived in/among those fans and/or having been to games on their campus or against them at neutral sites.

1. Auburn fans - the WORST! I've lived among them for too many years in Alabama. Although I have dear friends who are Auburn fans and can be totally normal otherwise, when it comes to football they have no sensibilities. Everything they see is thru the hatred for all things Alabama and they believe they are morally superior because, you know, they're fambly.

2. LSU fans - super annoying: I based most of this on having attended the 2011 BCSNCG in NOLA. They were the most pompous, annoying fanbase I've ever seen in my life before the game. Also, being around a bunch of them at Disney about 1 month before was bad too.

3. Tennessee - tolerable - I lived in east Tenn. for a number of years and made some great friends. This was before Fulmer spoiled it. But even when I've gone to several games in Knoxville afterward, I've been treated just fine. I don't hate 'em like some of y'all do.

4. Aggies - pretty good - I live among 'em and they are generally nice folks. Went to the game a few weeks ago and was treated like a "guests." They have some weird traditions though.

5. Ole Miss - they're harmless - went to one game there. We trashed them with our 09 NC team. Cool experience. Tailgated with OM fans before and after the game.

6. Vandy - bless their hearts - really, they know their role in the conference! Go GPA!

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Alabama - Fans just basking in the glory, knows their football, yes there's your Updykes but he doesn't represent the entire fan base.

Auburn - Delusional, paranoid, always thinks REC is out to get them, wants to be like big brother.

Tennessee - They hate Alabama, that's literally it. Their fans are better than the program, but that says more about how bad the program is.

LSU - I don't mind them for 10 months of the year but good lord are they unbearable in October and November, take this year for example, they're coming out beating their chest the same way they did in 2015.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.