Anyone else as confident in Mac as I am?

Rolltidewill92

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 11, 2018
2.5 years in system, 4 NFL wideouts, 2 really good backs, O-line is finally gelling and getting all first team reps this week. Granted he's not Tua, but we don't need him to be. Other forums I've visited has a sky is falling mentality and I'm just not seeing it.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I’m glad you started this thread. There has been a lot of doubt spread about Mac since Tua got hurt. Just because Mac is not Tua doesn’t mean he can’t get the job done. We should be grateful to have Mac. Let’s get behind Mac and show some faith. Perhaps Tua will be back at some point but until then Mac is our guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I think Mac will do great, I'm excited to see how good he really is. His timing was slightly off in the TN game and receivers dropped a couple of catchable balls. I think that gets worked out this week and I'm betting he will surprise a lot of people.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm confident Mac can lead us to victory in 3 of our 5 remaining games, if necessary. I'll have a better idea about the other 2 after watching him play this weekend. But I expect Tua to be back for at least the last 3 games.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not only does he know the offense, he's a known quantity to the coaches. I have every confidence that the game plan will set him up to do what he does best, and that he will execute that, whatever it is.

He's not Tua, and won't have that kind of accuracy. But there's no shame in that....just about nobody other than Tua does. I don't know what sort of runner Mac is, so I'm not sure if we'll run the same offense we do with Tua, or if we'll revert to more classic running game and play-action pass, as under Jake Coker and AJ McCarron.

It's a small sample size, but he has started slow in A-Day games and the few times he's been pressed into service due to injuries to the starter(s). I'm hoping the week of physical preparation, and more importantly, mental preparation, will help him mitigate the butterflies.

In that same small sample size, however, he also has a history of settling in and doing fine once the butterflies settle. I expect neither passing records nor an implosion.

We need to build his confidence, and I do worry a bit about the weather. Current forecast is not good.....70% chance of rain, possibly heavy, and lightning also possible. Maybe it gets a little better in the next couple of days, but that would be a reversal of the current deteriorating trend.

Last thought -- I would expect Arkansas to stack the box to force the green QB to pass. Which might be a mistake. If stacking the box puts our WRs 1-on-1 against Arksansas' DBs, I have to like the WRs to win the majority of those matchups. Which could lead to successful downfield passes where accuracy isn't quite as crucial as it is when you're throwing middle slants in lots of traffic.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Pretty sure a lot of folks are looking at Mac through the prism of Tua. Obviously, that`s unfair as Tua is a generational talent and arguably ( some would assert that there`s no argument ) the best that`s played the position at Alabama. Ever. Does it mean that everyone else on O needs to up their game a notch? Probably. In no way, IMO, does that mean that we can`t win with Mac Jones at QB.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Mac reminds me more of Greg McElroy than A.J. or Jake Coker. He does not appear as athletic as Coker, nor possess the passing skills of A.J., but we did okay with McElroy. Even though this is his first start we have enough firepower to beat Arkansas. LSU is a totally different story. I will withhold my thoughts on Mac and his prospects against LSU after I have watched his performance against a not very good Arkansas team.

RyanM

Suspended
Sep 14, 2019
I fully trust Mac, as long as he doesn’t let the moment overwhelm him like he did on his first three possessions against the Viles. On a side note, I heard an “analyst” say the other day that the one thing Alabama would be losing with Tua being out and MAC starting was the laser like passing. Uh, what game was he watching? If you ask me, Mac’s passes were actually flatter and just as tight as Tua’s are. Stupid analysts, talking just to keep their jaw loose!

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think having Mac at QB will force success in the OL and the running game. Normally when you have a star player like Tua, other players tend to lean on them doing their thing and not having the pressure on them. So there's this subtle "let up" that you don't even recognize is happening. But when star player is out, the pressure shifts and many times you'll have players step up their game because they know the star player isn't there to do what he normally does. I think this is exactly what our running game needs, is to be truly relied upon. #blessingindisguise

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think having Mac at QB will force success in the OL and the running game. Normally when you have a star player like Tua, other players tend to lean on them doing their thing and not having the pressure on them. So there's this subtle "let up" that you don't even recognize is happening. But when star player is out, the pressure shifts and many times you'll have players step up their game because they know the star player isn't there to do what he normally does. I think this is exactly what our running game needs, is to be truly relied upon. #blessingindisguise
It doesn't hurt that our OL has really come together over the last couple of games. The running game is slowly becoming the force we all hoped it would.

Arky ranked 13th in the SEC is rushing defense, allowing 193 yards per game. Bama could probably cover handing the ball off every snap.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it's fair to be cautiously optimistic. But I think we need to remember this is his first real test.

He'll probably have some good plays and he'll probably have some bad ones. Don't be surprised if he has at least one INT...Tua did in his first real test too, remember.

As CA says, he's enough against the Pigs, even if it's an uneven performance.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Against Arky? Absolutely.

Against L8U? Wait and see mode.
I was about to post something similar.

This isn't just about Mac. It's about the kicking game, the defense, and the running game. How those are coming along matters a heck of a lot.
Can Mac play well enough to win? Sure.
Can he play well enough to atone for shortcomings in other areas? That's another question.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It doesn't hurt that our OL has really come together over the last couple of games. The running game is slowly becoming the force we all hoped it would.

Arky ranked 13th in the SEC is rushing defense, allowing 193 yards per game. Bama could probably cover handing the ball off every snap.
Agreed. But they had Tua behind center as a safety net "just in case". They won't have that Saturday. I think we will see a HUGE TURN in our OL, their confidence and their intensity after this weekend. Because there's no safety net in Tua this weekend.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Given a week with the 1s and reps, I think he will do fine........ the main thing is to have confidence from the coaches and his teammates........ I think they will be behind him

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have no doubts about him vs Arkansas. But if he has to play vs LSU I think we're in trouble. Heck I think we may even be in trouble with a gimpy Tua.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think Mac will do okay enough for us to win.

I am more worried about the weather and the impact that will have on all aspects of the game, plus injuries.

We definitely don't need any injuries to Mac or anyone else for LSU. I saw on TV and Facebook it gives us a 71 percent chance to win vs LSU and only 64 percent vs Auburn. That seems crazy to me. I thought it would be more like 50/50 with Tua's injury. This was on after Tua was injured.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.