Will Auburn Be Able to Expose a Weakness in the LSU Offense?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm not sure Auburn can beat Les Tigers..... but I'm hopeful that they can expose a weakness that we can (in turn) capitalize on after the bye week.

I think that part of the issue, so far, has been:

• Texas Got them too early in the season
  • Florida got them too banged up

So, this (to me) seems like the perfect window to upset them.....OR to at least find a way to slow them down.....

I'm pulling for Auburn -- (I threw up in my mouth a little) -- but even if they lose, I'm hoping that they can find a way to slow down their offense -- and in a way that plays to our strengths....

I find that they really do have more of a Clemson offense than a Bama offense.....

AND I do believe that we have been working all year on how to stop Clemson..... so maybe this will play out just like I'm hoping....

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm not sure Auburn can beat Les Tigers..... but I'm hopeful that they can expose a weakness that we can (in turn) capitalize on after the bye week.

I think that part of the issue, so far, has been:

• Texas Got them too early in the season
  • Florida got them too banged up

So, this (to me) seems like the perfect window to upset them.....OR to at least find a way to slow them down.....

I'm pulling for Auburn -- (I threw up in my mouth a little) -- but even if they lose, I'm hoping that they can find a way to slow down their offense -- and in a way that plays to our strengths....

I find that they really do have more of a Clemson offense than a Bama offense.....

AND I do believe that we have been working all year on how to stop Clemson..... so maybe this will play out just like I'm hoping....
I don't think they will beat them but LSWho's defense is suspect and the Barn will score some points but not enough. I see a 35-27 score. No way I can pull for the Barn! We will take care our own business.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don't think they will beat them but LSWho's defense is suspect and the Barn will score some points but not enough. I see a 35-27 score. No way I can pull for the Barn! We will take care our own business.
I'm thinking it's more of a 24-17 kind of game.....and more getting inside JB's head a bit....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not pulling for Auburn, but no team has put any pressure on Burrow yet - none. If they can do it, who knows. That is the key, and the only way you beat LSU without outscoring them in a shootout.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think the Auburn front 7 will expose some things, but LSU will still win by 7 or more points. Being at LSU is huge.

I want Joe Burrow to have a bad game but I am not ready to say I am pulling for Auburn. I want Auburn to have 2 losses ASAP so they are out of the playoff picture. Maybe Auburn can beat LSU, then Auburn can lose to UGA; UGA loses to Florida. :) Anything to help Bama!

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think JessN accurately described the key to watch and that is what kind of pass rush Auburn can get on Burrow. If they can pressure him then we have a chance to do the same, but if he has plenty of time against their D-Line then we're going to have problems.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Not pulling for Auburn, but no team has put any pressure on Burrow yet - none. If they can do it, who knows. That is the key, and the only way you beat LSU without outscoring them in a shootout.
I think LSU is getting back a few defensive starters who have missed several, if not most of the games. I think their defense will look better than usual. No way Auburn can win a shoot out in Death Valley.

I hope Bama's defensive players who are injured, especially LaBryan Ray, can come back for LSU. Also hope Jennings and Lewis don't get hurt this weekend because we need them 100 percent healthy to affect Burrow.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
B1G is right, Burrow has not been pressured at all. Is that attributable to its OL or have they just played teams with bad defenses? Auburn's DL and LBs are very good, but their secondary is suspect at best. If auburn's DL rush is slowed up or negated then Burrow will have a field day and, will be another LSU blowout. OTOH if they can keep Burrow under duress then they will keep it close and may even have a chance at an upset although I do not believe they have the offense to beat LSU on the road. As for our game with LSU, without a healthy Tua I do not like our chances.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I think the big deal in this game is how the officials let agbarn DB’s play vs the LSWho WR’s.
If the officials let the agbarn DB’s get all handsy and do not call it, then this could pose a serious problem for LSWho.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
B1G is right, Burrow has not been pressured at all. Is that attributable to its OL or have they just played teams with bad defenses? Auburn's DL and LBs are very good, but their secondary is suspect at best. If auburn's DL rush is slowed up or negated then Burrow will have a field day and, will be another LSU blowout. OTOH if they can keep Burrow under duress then they will keep it close and may even have a chance at an upset although I do not believe they have the offense to beat LSU on the road. As for our game with LSU, without a healthy Tua I do not like our chances.
They have not played a defense with a pulse. Texas is one of the worst tackling defenses in the country. Anyone upset with our defense's performance needs to go watch some Texas games for therapy.

Auburn's defense will challenge them. I don't know if it will be enough. In fact I doubt it will be. But as I said in the point spread thread, hopefully they can rough L8U up a bit. Make it a quagmire game. I'd rather L8U win and ugly game, and knock AU out of the West race. Let us deal with L8U on that front since we've got that game at Bryant-Denny, and play a beaten AU team at Jordan-Hare. I don't necessarily believe in voodoo, but I know if a division title is on the line, they play several notches above their weight class when its at Jordan-Hare.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The boog front seven will get pressure on JB and with the DBs basically mugging the receivers all nite, it will be closer than everyone expects... :cool2:

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
I predict, just like the water sprinklers being left on all night, that there will be a nearby fire causing so much smoke in the stadium that it will make passing near impossible for LSU.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Exactly, well put. This game will be very telling since barney has the best D they have seen. If they can get Burrow on pressure with only their d line then the aubs have a shot at some turnovers. The corndogs have not seen adversity all year and I suspect if they run into a buzz saw in front of their home crowd then confidence will deflate rapidly. Now their D against Auburn's offense could negate that advantage which makes this game so intriguing. Regardless, wanna see the boogs lose.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I hope he wins, but frankly I can't see it happening. Auburn lost 9 straight @LSU. Bo Nix had problems with the crowd @ The Swamp a few weeks ago and I see similar problems for him @ Death Valley.
He is right more than he is wrong. I think he is wrong here and told him so. If it was at auburn, I would pick auburn too. Since the game is at L8U. I think they win be a couple of scores.

FYI, he is also picking us to cover. He thinks Mac will play with something to prove. He is not a Bama homer either. He actually has no favorite team. Just loves watching football and betting on it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Should be interesting to see what Auburn can do to pressure Burrow. Other than a few moments in the Clanga game, it seems like Burrow basically went untouched this year.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Let's see. If LSU beats AU, then we beat LSU, it doesn't matter if we win the IB or not, we still win the SECW.
If AU beats LSU, then we have to beat both LSU and AU to win the SECW.
Is that right?

So, I guess I'll pull for LSU to win. I would have anyway, I think. Just find it hard to pull for AU under any circumstance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.