Scott Walkers Foxconn deal is falling apart

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's been falling apart since almost as soon as it was made. But it served to show the maga chuds some political wins shortly after Mr. Dealmaker President took office...none of their news sources will be talking much about this mess.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
This is what galls me:
Unfortunately, it's already too late for the properties that were seized using eminent domain to clear space for the Foxconn complex.

Maybe a Trump tower can be built on that space?

https://beltmag.com/blighted-by-foxconn/

In Racine County, neatly maintained homes and dream houses are being designated ‘blighted’ to make way for Foxconn
One item was on the agenda: the board’s first step in the designation of some 3,000 acres of agricultural land, farm houses and scattered, neatly maintained single-family homes as “blighted.”

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
When you consider that Walker and Trump were behind this dealing and pushing it, color me not surprised. Just like all of Trump's promises, they are nothing more than post dated lies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is what galls me:
Unfortunately, it's already too late for the properties that were seized using eminent domain to clear space for the Foxconn complex.

Maybe a Trump tower can be built on that space?

https://beltmag.com/blighted-by-foxconn/

In Racine County, neatly maintained homes and dream houses are being designated ‘blighted’ to make way for Foxconn
One item was on the agenda: the board’s first step in the designation of some 3,000 acres of agricultural land, farm houses and scattered, neatly maintained single-family homes as “blighted.”

A few years ago, SCOTUS handed down what I still think might be its worst decision of all time.

Essentially, SCOTUS held that governmental entities (states, counties, municipalities, etc.) can use the power of eminent domain to force the sale of property so that it can be used for a different purpose that generates more tax revenue, even if the alternate use is for a privately-owned for-profit enterprise.

This thing with Foxconn is just a very slightly different spin on that idea, with no practical distinction. It’s legal, but that doesn’t make it right.

I support a governmental entity’s power to force the sale of property for public works — roads, bridges, dams, etc. You just can’t have a single recalcitrant property owner holding up progress that benefits the citizens as a whole.

But to force the sale of property so that you can give / sell it to a profit-making enterprise so that you can generate more tax revenue is a perversion of that power. It’s the law of the land, but I think it’s easily the worst decision in at least the last 150 years, and maybe the worst of all time.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
A few years ago, SCOTUS handed down what I still think might be its worst decision of all time.

Essentially, SCOTUS held that governmental entities (states, counties, municipalities, etc.) can use the power of eminent domain to force the sale of property so that it can be used for a different purpose that generates more tax revenue, even if the alternate use is for a privately-owned for-profit enterprise.

This thing with Foxconn is just a very slightly different spin on that idea, with no practical distinction. It’s legal, but that doesn’t make it right.

I support a governmental entity’s power to force the sale of property for public works — roads, bridges, dams, etc. You just can’t have a single recalcitrant property owner holding up progress that benefits the citizens as a whole.

But to force the sale of property so that you can give / sell it to a profit-making enterprise so that you can generate more tax revenue is a perversion of that power. It’s the law of the land, but I think it’s easily the worst decision in at least the last 150 years, and maybe the worst of all time.

Kelo versus New London https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London#Legacy

and like this case the land is still vacant

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.