Game Thread: Auburn at LSU

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I laughed for about 5 minutes after they showed that on TV. I am not sure that you can do anything about it as an official. Maybe the sport should require that players sit out more than one play after an official's TO is called so they can receive assistance on the field.
My wife saw it and asked what was wrong. I explained that they teach that at AU...
Sorry I can’t figure out how to actually embed the video, but this is the best version of the Big Kat injury

https://mobile.twitter.com/stephensaux/status/1188280335345127425

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Just reviewed the stats -- LSU gained 508 yards on Auburn but could not put them away. AU's defense inside the 20 was spectacular.

I do not think LSU is invincible...we can handle them. However, we need our best defensive effort to keep this from being a scoring fest.

And yes, AU has the best injury flops of any team I have ever seen...

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
It seemed to me Auburn D was on the field for 60 percent of the game. In one stretch LSU got the ball back to back to back on the Auburn side of the field. My take, Auburn’s D is legit, LSUs O is very good but not all world. Bama needs to stop LSU’s run game, tackle well and cover w/o drawing flags. I think our O will be able to score easier than theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Part of the lack of objectivity comes from the fact that many (including many on this board) hold Bama to a different standard and it feels unfair. The networks skim over the fact that our offense is “Top 3” elite. They also treat our defense as “average” yet continually improve each week despite the four-five major injuries we are dealing with as well as the lost bodies that should be playing but are gone. Instead of heaping praise on Saban and Golding for managing a group that are extremely young in the middle, they are discussed as being below standard

If you took the exact same roster, schedule and results and put that team in Baton Rouge, Columbus, Athens, Norman, Ann Arbor or South Bend, we would be hearing about those HCs and DCs being discussed as COTY candidates. But we have to sit through “experts” like Cole, Griese, Palmer, and the like saying Bama may be the third best team in the SEC?

All while the kids deal with cheap shots, late hits, multiple holding calls, blocks in the back, and nothing happens? But when Lewis gets called for holding last week and reply shows he was 2-3 yards from the player and never touched him. Or when DeVonta gets called for a “blind side” block from in FRONT of the dB, and they aren’t critiqued or discussed, then you have to believe that something else is happening

Whether consciously or subconsciously, the world outside of this board has an amazing woody for LSU right now. So if you are disappointed that we aren’t as turned on as everyone else, I apologize.

But if what I think will happen, happens....then be prepared for TVs to all be shut off in the 4th quarter across Louisiana, and tweets from drunk Cajuns about Orgeron being fired and Bama being lucky will be rampant.
I can't praise this post enough - thanks.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Part of the lack of objectivity comes from the fact that many (including many on this board) hold Bama to a different standard and it feels unfair. The networks skim over the fact that our offense is “Top 3” elite. They also treat our defense as “average” yet continually improve each week despite the four-five major injuries we are dealing with as well as the lost bodies that should be playing but are gone. Instead of heaping praise on Saban and Golding for managing a group that are extremely young in the middle, they are discussed as being below standard

If you took the exact same roster, schedule and results and put that team in Baton Rouge, Columbus, Athens, Norman, Ann Arbor or South Bend, we would be hearing about those HCs and DCs being discussed as COTY candidates. But we have to sit through “experts” like Cole, Griese, Palmer, and the like saying Bama may be the third best team in the SEC?

All while the kids deal with cheap shots, late hits, multiple holding calls, blocks in the back, and nothing happens? But when Lewis gets called for holding last week and reply shows he was 2-3 yards from the player and never touched him. Or when DeVonta gets called for a “blind side” block from in FRONT of the dB, and they aren’t critiqued or discussed, then you have to believe that something else is happening

Whether consciously or subconsciously, the world outside of this board has an amazing woody for LSU right now. So if you are disappointed that we aren’t as turned on as everyone else, I apologize.

But if what I think will happen, happens....then be prepared for TVs to all be shut off in the 4th quarter across Louisiana, and tweets from drunk Cajuns about Orgeron being fired and Bama being lucky will be rampant.
Bama fatigue. Another reason—both us fans and the talking heads are used to Bama having an elite defense and not the other way around. I’ll be honest—I’m a traditionalist! I’m of the old school of thought that you win championships with defense and steadiness in the kicking game/special teams, and that the game is still about execution of the fundamentals(blocking, tackling, etc.). That formula has worked time and time again for us and was our bread and butter until Lane Kiffin got here. Since then it has changed drastically and I guess some of us old-schoolers have simply not adapted to it very well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
After reading 31 pages, about 62% of which were complaints about lack of holding calls, my takeaways are:

Burrow cracks under pressure
LSU’s defensive backs suck
LSU gets all the calls at home
Alabama never gets any calls
Gus is an awful coach

You guys did get what you were hoping for, a physical war in which players were banged up. Delpit, Stevens and Stingley (although they are part of the sucky DBs) all were injured. Burrow took a shot to his knee.

Happy to get out with a win against a very good Auburn team. Dub, your defense is really, really good.
A few years ago, a data scientist, a Michigan grad, UMich1, if you want to Google him, set out to prove that Michigan was getting screwed on football calls. What he found was that they were indeed, but that there was one team which was in a class by itself.

Michigan – we’re getting screwed, right?
I’m going to go with a yes. As it turns out, Michigan and Alabama are in a special kind of unlucky streak, stretching for many years. The below is a graph of all FBS teams 2012- present (B1G teams are represented by their logos) for all games played. Michigan is towards the top right – in the “we’re getting screwed” category. The only team that has fared worse is Alabama. A lot worse. Since 2012, Alabama has drawn a holding once every 260 plays. That is nearly 2.5 times the average.
Saturday, there was one penalty called on ARK and declined. After years of this, it gets old. On the ground, what it means is that we're always starting in a bit of a hole. I just laugh at the complaints from other teams that Bama gets all the calls, because that's not what the stats say.

umich1
December 29th, 2017 at 4:47 PM ^
The top 5 most screwed programs were Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, Utah, and Boise State.
The links to the graphs in his blog seem to be dead now, but they were startling to look at. One of the Michigan fans reading his blog a couple of years ago commented: "Alabama is a crazy outlier. Any thoughts on why this might be?"

As I said, it just gets old, particularly with other teams complaining that we "get all the calls"...

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Bama fatigue. Another reason—both us fans and the talking heads are used to Bama having an elite defense and not the other way around. I’ll be honest—I’m a traditionalist! I’m of the old school of thought that you win championships with defense and steadiness in the kicking game/special teams, and that the game is still about execution of the fundamentals(blocking, tackling, etc.). That formula has worked time and time again for us and was our bread and butter until Lane Kiffin got here. Since then it has changed drastically and I guess some of us old-schoolers have simply not adapted to it very well.
The lure of the NFL after 2 years. It hits elite teams the hardest.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
After reading 31 pages, about 62% of which were complaints about lack of holding calls, my takeaways are:

Gus is an awful coach
Well, I didn't even see the game but I'd say the above pretty much sums it up. By the way, which of those do think is false? ;)

We were headed to Tuscaloosa and listening on the radio and if you think our posters opinions were so bad, I invite you to listen to Andy and Stan on the barn network for an additional interpretation of the game - I dare say you'd find it mind numbing...

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

Gus is an awful coach

You guys did get what you were hoping for, a physical war in which players were banged up. Delpit, Stevens and Stingley (although they are part of the sucky DBs) all were injured. Burrow took a shot to his knee.

Happy to get out with a win against a very good Auburn team. Dub, your defense is really, really good.
I don't think Burrows cracks under pressure any more than any other QB that is getting a lot of pressure.
LSU's DB's haven't played as well as in years past. The UF game showed that.
Auburn was getting held regularly. It was real. I'm sure there were calls going the other way or missed calls going against Auburn too.
Bama doesn't get calls. See Earle's post.
Gus is an 8-4 coach making Saban, Dabo, Meyer money. Tell me how he deserved that extension? I thought the Barn should have let Arkansas have him. I think they might after this year. Especially if they lose to UGA and Bama. For what he is paid he does suck.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I don't think Burrows cracks under pressure any more than any other QB that is getting a lot of pressure.
LSU's DB's haven't played as well as in years past. The UF game showed that.
Auburn was getting held regularly. It was real. I'm sure there were calls going the other way or missed calls going against Auburn too.
Bama doesn't get calls. See Earle's post.
Gus is an 8-4 coach making Saban, Dabo, Meyer money. Tell me how he deserved that extension? I thought the Barn should have let Arkansas have him. I think they might after this year. Especially if they lose to UGA and Bama. For what he is paid he does suck.

If Gus can beat either​ UGA or Bama, he stays IMO. It`s just the way they operate.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm not sure what AU fans were expecting with Gus calling the plays but, the offense looks exactly like it did the last time he called plays, years ago, before they demanded he stop.

Gus is horrible at getting the ball to his play makers in big games. Oh, they run up great looking stats against the likes of Arkansas but, look at Anthony Schwartz's stats against UF and LSU. They'll probably look great again this week against Ole Miss but, then UGA comes to town and the offense will look pedestrian again. Gus is going to call his smoke and mirrors offense no matter what the flow of the game dictates, it's all he knows. It works fine against subpar teams but, the big boys aren't fooled by this mess anymore.

AU has a great defense that will give them a chance in every game, if only Gus could get out of his own way. This is what they wanted though, Gus calling the plays was the answer to all their problems, right?

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I read that Joey Gatewood wasn't at Auburn's practice yesterday and he is thinking of transferring. Interesting. If so, I wonder if he will leave now or wait until the end of the year.

How many games has he played in?

I know Bo Nix seems to be regressing against better defenses, but I still think somehow he will play lights out vs Bama at their place. Hope I am wrong ! It's the Auburn voodoo and weird things happening at that stadium! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.