AP Poll

D Mac

Dec 10, 2018
AP Poll LSU #1

Has LSU as the number 1 team, but they deserve it since they have played three top ten teams. Should be a good game between Alabama and LSU. But after watching last night's game, I believe we (Bama) are putting ll the pieces together to beat LSU.

Last edited:

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Re: AP Poll LSU #1

Has LSU as the number 1 team, but they deserve it since they have played three top ten teams. Should be a good game between Alabama and LSU. But after watching last night's game, I believe we (Bama) are putting ll the pieces together to beat LSU.
Interesting note.... Alabama has more first place votes than LSU. So that means that some AP voters have Alabama rated 3 or lower. Could be a motivator for the team?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Interesting note.... Alabama has more first place votes than LSU. So that means that some AP voters have Alabama rated 3 or lower.
Ohio State also has 17 first place votes (same as LSU), so the difference is where the three are ranked by those who do not have them #1.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I like being ranked second. LSU will be fed huge helpings of rat poison for the next two weeks, something they’ve not had to deal with before. How much they actually eat, we’ll see.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Actually -- they've now played just ONE Top 10 Team (Florida)

Auburn is 11
Texas is 26

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Actually -- they've now played just ONE Top 10 Team (Florida)

Auburn is 11
Texas is 26
And by that logic we haven’t played a single ranked team. So his point still holds up. Either way, where we both rank doesn’t mean bo diddley until Nov 10th, it’s all speculation at this point.

Personally, I’m thrilled they’ll be coming into BDS as the #1 team, somehow I think it puts all pressure on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
And by that logic we haven’t played a single ranked team. So his point still holds up. Either way, where we both rank doesn’t mean bo diddley until Nov 10th, it’s all speculation at this point.

Personally, I’m thrilled they’ll be coming into BDS as the #1 team, somehow I think it puts all pressure on them.

Last #1 to roll into BDS was Miss State in 2014, we were #5, this year we’ll probably be #3.

Been a while so I can’t wait.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Honestly it's perfect. Places the pressure of being #1 on a team unused to the attention while Bama can feel "disrespected."

Alabama has more big game experience overall as well. I'm honestly feeling better about the setup for this game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
574B8053-AB3C-4B22-987F-89DBBF9628A9.jpeg

Nick Saban’s record in championship games:

When ranked #1: 1-2 (2009, 2016, 2018)
When not ranked #1: 5-0 (2003, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017)

Overall record at Alabama when facing a #1 ranked team: 5-1

I like our chances.;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Last #1 to roll into BDS was Miss State in 2014, we were #5, this year we’ll probably be #3.

Been a while so I can’t wait.
#1, #2 and #3 all have byes this week, and Clemson is playing no one, so the rankings should not change next week.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

The first College Football playoff ranking will come out Novemeber 5th. I expect Bama to be ranked #3 behind LSU and Ohio State. The rest of the polls will become irrelevant at that time.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

If Auburn loses 4 -- then they will be the best 4 loss team in the country......
If Texas loses 5 -- then they will be the best 5 loss team in the country......
unless it's....

Texas A&M, the best 5 loss team in the country......

And looking at the bold part of your statement -- you pretty much are arguing against his point....are you not? You are saying it doesn't matter -- where anyone is ranked until November 10th -- so if LSU has beaten 3 teams who were in the Top 10 when they played them (even if it was week 2,3,5) -- and it doesn't matter until November 10th -- then I'm guessing you've done a much better job at invalidating his point than I did....

So -- "thank you!"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The first College Football playoff ranking will come out Novemeber 5th. I expect Bama to be ranked #3 behind LSU and Ohio State. The rest of the polls will become irrelevant at that time.
The 2nd CFP poll will be the one that matters. The first one will be a guess as to who is better. The 2nd one - we will know.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
If Auburn loses 4 -- then they will be the best 4 loss team in the country......
If Texas loses 5 -- then they will be the best 5 loss team in the country......
unless it's....

Texas A&M, the best 5 loss team in the country......

And looking at the bold part of your statement -- you pretty much are arguing against his point....are you not? You are saying it doesn't matter -- where anyone is ranked until November 10th -- so if LSU has beaten 3 teams who were in the Top 10 when they played them (even if it was week 2,3,5) -- and it doesn't matter until November 10th -- then I'm guessing you've done a much better job at invalidating his point than I did....

So -- "thank you!"
Rankings are reflective, not predictive. Outside of maybe the first 3-4 weeks of the season, no one in the coach’s or AP poll votes based on what they assume will happen at a later time. Each week the rankings are a short term perception of what each team’s total body of work is to that specific point.

Your position is an assumption that Auburn will lose 4 games, Texas 5 games, etc, therefore invalidating the perceived strength of LSU’s schedule to date. I don’t even disagree with your projection. However it’s all subjugation until it happens and therefore doesn’t carry any weight in the discussion of current rankings. The expectation of future events doesn’t change the events that have previously occurred.

Therefore until they lose or your speculation has been proven on the field, LSU does have the superior resume and it is a legitimate conclusion that they are deserving of a spot ahead of us at this time. It’s not that difficult of a concept.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
LSU #1? Action Network’s college football power ratings, kept by Collin Wilson, make Alabama -7.5 at home against LSU.

Without a healthy Tagovailoa, we believe Alabama would be a very small favorite, around -1 or a pick’em.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
LSU #1? Action Network’s college football power ratings, kept by Collin Wilson, make Alabama -7.5 at home against LSU.

Without a healthy Tagovailoa, we believe Alabama would be a very small favorite, around -1 or a pick’em.
Keep that on the down low

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.