AP Poll

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Rankings are reflective, not predictive. Outside of maybe the first 3-4 weeks of the season, no one in the coach’s or AP poll votes based on what they assume will happen at a later time. Each week the rankings are a short term perception of what each team’s total body of work is to that specific point.

Your position is an assumption that Auburn will lose 4 games, Texas 5 games, etc, therefore invalidating the perceived strength of LSU’s schedule to date. I don’t even disagree with your projection. However it’s all subjugation until it happens and therefore doesn’t carry any weight in the discussion of current rankings. The expectation of future events doesn’t change the events that have previously occurred.

Therefore until they lose or your speculation has been proven on the field, LSU does have the superior resume and it is a legitimate conclusion that they are deserving of a spot ahead of us at this time. It’s not that difficult of a concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the equivalent of saying that a team beating the other after the first quarter, is "at that moment" by all rights the "better team" -- even if they lose by 50....when it's all said and done.

Does that also mean that Penn State is worthy of being ranked higher than us too?

Because their SOS is ranked 9th, and ours is 17th? Yet we are both undefeated?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

That's my entire point about this whole LSU thing. If you use some method of logic, you have to apply it throughout......

So -- If SOS (so far in the season) is your criteria -- then:

tOSU is 1st
Penn State is 2nd
LSU is 3rd
Bama is 4th

Otherwise, saying LSU is more worthy because their SOS is 10th and ours is 17th -- doesn't hold up....

You have to make LSU 3rd....to the Buckeyes and Lions

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
LSU #1? Action Network’s college football power ratings, kept by Collin Wilson, make Alabama -7.5 at home against LSU.

Without a healthy Tagovailoa, we believe Alabama would be a very small favorite, around -1 or a pick’em.
So, to Vegas - Tua is worth only 7 points vs Mac? That's interesting....

So -- LSU with Burrow is EVEN to Bama without Tua?

I find that interesting.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
So, to Vegas - Tua is worth only 7 points vs Mac? That's interesting....

So -- LSU with Burrow is EVEN to Bama without Tua?

I find that interesting.
It also has to do with the recievers, line, rb, etc. Mac can probably score a ton of points with this offense just like Tua. When you can throw a quick slant and the reciever take it 50 more yards for a TD then I do not care who delivered the pass.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It also has to do with the recievers, line, rb, etc. Mac can probably score a ton of points with this offense just like Tua. When you can throw a quick slant and the reciever take it 50 more yards for a TD then I do not care who delivered the pass.
I get it -- but the "Experts" will tell you LSU has all of that too....

I love that we are likely an 7-10 point favorite -- and likely picked by many experts to lose at Home......I think the fellas will eat that up..... they looked insanely focused last night.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Go
Rankings are reflective, not predictive. Outside of maybe the first 3-4 weeks of the season, no one in the coach’s or AP poll votes based on what they assume will happen at a later time. Each week the rankings are a short term perception of what each team’s total body of work is to that specific point.

Your position is an assumption that Auburn will lose 4 games, Texas 5 games, etc, therefore invalidating the perceived strength of LSU’s schedule to date. I don’t even disagree with your projection. However it’s all subjugation until it happens and therefore doesn’t carry any weight in the discussion of current rankings. The expectation of future events doesn’t change the events that have previously occurred.

Therefore until they lose or your speculation has been proven on the field, LSU does have the superior resume and it is a legitimate conclusion that they are deserving of a spot ahead of us at this time. It’s not that difficult of a concept.

Very well stated.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Wonder how we will perceive LSU after Ole Miss beats Auburn and Georgia beats Florida. Will LSU still thump their chests and proclaim they beat 3 top 10 teams?

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Jmo and that is ALL it is..but I just dont care about any poll right now. Mighty big games to take care of, so polls are little else other than distraction really. More concerned about injuries and the Defense.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Re: AP Poll LSU #1

The 2nd CFP poll will be the one that matters. The first one will be a guess as to who is better. The 2nd one - we will know.
Well technically the one that really matters will be the last one that determines who the four teams in the playoff will be. ;) I just meant that after the first CFP ranking comes out the rest of the polls will become pointless and everyone will go by the CFP playoff from that point onward. :)

The November 12th CFP ranking will reflect who won and lost between Bama and LSU. And certainly not who is best come playoff time. :)

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Re: AP Poll LSU #1

I thought that the playoff rankings started in October? None of these polls matter except that one anymore.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

You are using entirely too much logic and statistical analysis for a football discussion board. LOL! Good post...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.