News Article: Tua doesn't have to play against LSU.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
As crazy as it may sound my biggest worry regarding LSU's offense isn't the passing. It's the handoff's out of the shotgun to #22 that seems to produce chunk yardage everytime they do it. Auburn rarely stopped it when it mattered. I have no idea how they are scheming to consistently get that type yardage out of a seemingly very simple play. But it has become a staple of their offense that has produced huge gains.
It’s a play they run called “HOLD THE HELL OUT OF ANY DEFENSIVE PLAYER NEAR YOU AND DONT LET GO!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Reading this thread, it sounds like maybe we're actually playing the '85 Bears instead of LSU.
I have no problem if the team takes this approach. In fact, I hope they do. This is going to take a complete team effort regardless of who takes the snaps. Too many great athletes to think the team is just going to roll over if Tua can’t play. I remember how the defense locked down in the second half of the NCG against UGa when their backs were against the wall. Considering the remainder of the schedule, and the outside position that the team would be in with a loss, I see this as another “backs against the wall” situation and am looking forward to watching the team being motivated for the challenge and stepping up to take it on.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
And Texas gave up 48 pts to Kansas and the Mad Hatter and had to kick a field goal on the last play to win the game or they would be 4-4. LSWho should get less credit for this win than we did for the A&M and probably the USCe win. That's what happened to Bama a few years ago when we beat FSU in a #1 vs #3 game and FSU tanked after that loss.
And FSU has been tanked ever since. And we have a home and home scheduled with them.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
After watch how bad Arkansas is, I have more concern about Mac against LSU. I still think it may be how well our lines do against LSU, and if we can cover the lsu receivers long enough to pressure burrow.

Hopefully Tua is able to play.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
After watch how bad Arkansas is, I have more concern about Mac against LSU. I still think it may be how well our lines do against LSU, and if we can cover the lsu receivers long enough to pressure burrow.

Hopefully Tua is able to play.
It is really difficult to judge anybody's performance against the Hogs and extrapolate to how well they will perform against LSU. No offense intended to the Hogs, but they are not in the same neighborhood with LSU right now.
I think Tua plays. I also think the Bama offense plays well as a result. I further think the Bama defense plays well enough to limit, but not stop, LSU.
Bama 34-24, or something along those lines.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Finebaum said he spoke to one of his Tuscaloosa sources and was told this injury was not close as bad as the one he had last year and they expect Tua to be close to 100% for the game. TIFWIW.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Finebaum said he spoke to one of his Tuscaloosa sources and was told this injury was not close as bad as the one he had last year and they expect Tua to be close to 100% for the game. TIFWIW.
That being the case, it makes one wonder why they even felt like surgery was necessary. Dr. Chao, of the NFL, actually said that, if he could walk off the field, surgery wasn't indicated at all. He also uttered all of the appropriate disclaimers...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That being the case, it makes one wonder why they even felt like surgery was necessary. Dr. Chao, of the NFL, actually said that, if he could walk off the field, surgery wasn't indicated at all. He also uttered all of the appropriate disclaimers...
They said it actually makes the ankle stronger. I wonder if the surgery was done to prevent further damage possibly later in the year? Is the procedure permanent?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Typically, with a high ankle sprain, it looks like a blown out knee or a broken bone walking off the field. I was baffled surgery was such a quick option

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
You really gonna use that as a measuring stick? Arky gave up after we beat them. They have absolutely nothing left to play for and after playing us they have nothing left in the tank.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
You really gonna use that as a measuring stick? Arky gave up after we beat them. They have absolutely nothing left to play for and after playing us they have nothing left in the tank.

Arky gave up a while ago.They've only won one sec game in the last 3 seasons.Plus the barn rolled them 51-10 the week before we played them.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
They said it actually makes the ankle stronger. I wonder if the surgery was done to prevent further damage possibly later in the year? Is the procedure permanent?
I looked it up, tightrope is permanent. The surgery was chosen to keep it from happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curious for any surgeons out there.....would you ever do a surgical procedure as a preventive measure? As in, would you do a tightrope procedure on an ankle that wasn't injured, for the express purpose of preventing or minimizing any future injury?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Curious for any surgeons out there.....would you ever do a surgical procedure as a preventive measure? As in, would you do a tightrope procedure on an ankle that wasn't injured, for the express purpose of preventing or minimizing any future injury?
Not a surgeon, but I am sure that they would - if insurance would cover it. That is a HUGE if that is likely a big fat NO.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not a surgeon, but I agree with B1G. Remember that the first maxim for a doctor is supposed to be "First, do no harm." Drilling holes through two bones is invasive, with the attendant risks of infection and anesthesia (says the guy who's been put under 30+ times). Also, there's no material which could be used which would withstand the 90° bend which Tua's ankle was subjected to. The biggest advantage of the polyester which they use is the "give" which the older screws and plates didn't have and which approximates the natural ligament behavior. That much flexion would just tear out the polyester tie...

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I honestly believe we ran the same offense against Arkansas that we would have if Tua had played, but Arkansas' defense is historically bad (aided by a very bad offense not giving them any rest). LSU's defense isn't great, but it's better than that.

I think that the key to this game is not Tua or Mac, it's our defense. We have to get off the field on 3rd down. We have to make some key stops. We need more possessions than LSU. That's the simple key.

rtr

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Not a surgeon, but I agree with B1G. Remember that the first maxim for a doctor is supposed to be "First, do no harm." Drilling holes through two bones is invasive, with the attendant risks of infection and anesthesia (says the guy who's been put under 30+ times). Also, there's no material which could be used which would withstand the 90° bend which Tua's ankle was subjected to. The biggest advantage of the polyester which they use is the "give" which the older screws and plates didn't have and which approximates the natural ligament behavior. That much flexion would just tear out the polyester tie...
Not a physician (nor do I play one on television) and have no inside knowledge of Tua's situation. I do come from a medical family (physicians, nurses,, etc) and I've spent many years in clinical medicine myself, including a lot of ER/OR work.

My thought is that Tua mostly likely has (had) a severe grade one or mild/moderate grade two sprain. Certainly in most cases you would not consider a tightrope procedure for a grade one, and in many cases not for a grade two.

However, even in cases with a bad grade one high ankle sprain, you're looking at 3-4 weeks recovery (RICE - Rest Ice Compression Elevation) before Tua was back to practice. I think the medical team may have discussed with Tua and his family the procedure as a way of speeding up the recovery process, not necessary a "prophylactic" treatment to strengthen the ankle and prevent future injury. My guess, and it only a guess, is they left it to Tua and his family to decide.

I guess it could be similar to a meniscus injury in the knee. Many times players, with tears to the meniscus, will rest it a few weeks, brace it and come back to play the rest of the season, putting off surgery until the end of the year. Problem is one of needing to deal with the pain/swelling/inflammation that comes with use after practice and games. Other times they choose to scope it, clean it up, and get back to play within four weeks or so. Biggest difference is that with arthroscopic procedure you're not leaving the hardware in place like with the tightrope.

I think that it was an option for a "more aggressive" approach to possibly speed up the recovery time. In normal cases, you or I would be advised to the more "conservative" approach and a four to eight week recovery timeline, depending on the severity of our sprain.

But you nor I are the QB on a top ranked team with the prospect of being a top pick in the NFL draft in the spring.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I honestly believe we ran the same offense against Arkansas that we would have if Tua had played, but Arkansas' defense is historically bad (aided by a very bad offense not giving them any rest). LSU's defense isn't great, but it's better than that.

I think that the key to this game is not Tua or Mac, it's our defense. We have to get off the field on 3rd down. We have to make some key stops. We need more possessions than LSU. That's the simple key.

rtr
And also, whether Tua or Mac, we have to stop a big pass rush by the L8U defense. Both quarterbacks can scramble, but still. We really don't need Tua having to scramble to avoid the rush all through the game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
And also, whether Tua or Mac, we have to stop a big pass rush by the L8U defense. Both quarterbacks can scramble, but still. We really don't need Tua having to scramble to avoid the rush all through the game.
I think one of the advantages we have in this game is our OL vs their DL (and vice versa). I think we win this battle and due to that win the game. Orgeron said after the game last year we beat them up on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and they have to recruit better OL/DL.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.