Auburn’s defensive effort, scheme vs. LSU show why Kevin Steele is 1 of nation’s best

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2...ow-why-kevin-steele-is-1-of-nations-best.html

Steele knew his defense faced a daunting challenge that week, going up against what was the nation’s No. 2 scoring offense in LSU. No team had really been able to slow down that high-flying attack, which entered last week averaging north of 50 points per game, but Steele had something up his sleeve that he thought would do the trick — a completely new, 3-1-7 look on defense that Auburn had yet to show on film.
The scheme varied greatly from Auburn’s typical base defense, which is a 4-2-5 nickel with four down linemen, two linebackers and five defensive backs (three corners and two safeties). It was also a different look than the dime package that the team also utilizes, which features six defensive backs.
When Auburn’s defense took the field for the first time against LSU on Saturday, it did so with three defensive linemen: Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and Big Kat Bryant; one linebacker in freshman Owen Pappoe; and seven defensive backs — three corners (Javaris Davis, Noah Igbinoghene and Roger McCreary) and four safeties (Jeremiah Dinson, Daniel Thomas, Jamien Sherwood and Smoke Monday).
The purpose of the new scheme, according to defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson, was to close the passing windows that Burrow and LSU typically liked to exploit in their passing attack. For the most part, it worked and slowed LSU’s offense, holding it more than 27 points below its season average.
The reason I posted the article is because I've mentioned Auburn's odd formation several times in the last few days because I was real impressed with how it was used in the game. I really hope that Saban find a way to use it in the game (not all the time.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The reason I posted the article is because I've mentioned Auburn's odd formation several times in the last few days because I was real impressed with how it was used in the game. I really hope that Saban find a way to use it in the game (not all the time.)
Just remember that LSU knows that Alabama is looking at that film, and they have an extra week to prepare a plan to address the approach taken by Auburn. I am not saying that it won't work. Alabama has much better DBs. But expect LSU to have some wrinkles to address it. Their OC is very young, but he is also very bright.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Just remember that LSU knows that Alabama is looking at that film, and they have an extra week to prepare a plan to address the approach taken by Auburn. I am not saying that it won't work. Alabama has much better DBs. But expect LSU to have some wrinkles to address it. Their OC is very young, but he is also very bright.
Fair enough.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Serious question: is this OC really that genius, or is LSU finally utilizing the offensive talent they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Serious question: is this OC really that genius, or is LSU finally utilizing the offensive talent they have?
He did not invent the RPO offense, so no. But he is calling plays like Locksley did at Alabama last year. Same offense, same plays, same tendency to set up big plays with short plays. He is Mike Locksley. But can he adjust when he has to? No one knows.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Ed will have us believe that Ensminger is calling the plays with suggestions from Brady. Who knows just how much influence he has.
I read on TigerDroppings that the LSU and Saints staffs got together for a coaching clinic/brainstorming session and Joe Brady took over the room for the Saints O presentation.

Edit: I’ve now seen where Ed has stated that Brady does some of the play calling

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
We don’t have three defensive linemen of that caliber to put on the field like they do. Possibly Barmore, Jennings, and Lewis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atlbama

2nd Team
Nov 18, 2005
Dunwoody, GA
He did not invent the RPO offense, so no. But he is calling plays like Locksley did at Alabama last year. Same offense, same plays, same tendency to set up big plays with short plays. He is Mike Locksley. But can he adjust when he has to? No one knows.
I posted this on another thread but if the offense is similar to Locksley, look no further than the Clemson game vs Bama. One of the most effective things they did was make very last second changes in coverage resulting in bad pre-snap reads and/or affecting timing. (Oh, and they had NFL talent on D-line ;))

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
quick background on Joe Brady: https://www.theadvertiser.com/story...e-brady-wants-draw-fast-and-often/2108150001/

So, I hope Brady has a plan for when QB has to hold ball longer.... Its possible that teams are now figuring this guys out and Steele was the first one... Either way Brady will get his shot in NFL as a OC somewhere.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I posted this on another thread but if the offense is similar to Locksley, look no further than the Clemson game vs Bama. One of the most effective things they did was make very last second changes in coverage resulting in bad pre-snap reads and/or affecting timing. (Oh, and they had NFL talent on D-line ;))
That is what Auburn did. They followed Clemson's blueprint against Alabama.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I doubt we change our defensive scheme(s) much. Our offenses are similar. Our defensive guys go up against it every day of practice. The two things we'll have to do for certain is play their receivers close and aggressive to hinder timing AND unleash Lewis and Jennings like they haven't been unleashed before.

If we do those two things well we'll slow LSWho's offense down and maybe pick up a turnover or two.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
That's true, but it (or something similar) still might prove the best defense against Burrow's passing. Even if they expect it and prepare for it. I wish we could put on a great pass rush, that would keep Burrow off balance. I think CNS and CPG will come up with a good plan.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This is the game where missing Moses will be the most critical.....

He had the speed to keep up with TEs and RBs....but the thump-a-bility vs the Run OR to be used on the edge in pressure....

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I will say that people focusing purely on Burrow and the air game are missing the fact that LSU can run. The back they used so heavily, who's name is long and I don't want to type it, is a beast. He was running and carrying AU's vaunted defensive line in the second half, as they grew tired. We have been in the same boat this year, with our defense being thin already, and starters getting tired.

LSU's objective will be to have long scoring drives. That's what Coach O wants. A little at a time. They won't come out airing it out downfield. They won't put themselves into positions for negative plays. It will be always moving forward. ALABAMA NEEDS TO HAVE THE EXACT SAME OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY.

I'm just stunned at how often the two programs are mirror images of each other, regardless of who their coach is. All else being equal, Orgeron is not Saban, and I like our guy better.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I will say that people focusing purely on Burrow and the air game are missing the fact that LSU can run. The back they used so heavily, who's name is long and I don't want to type it, is a beast. He was running and carrying AU's vaunted defensive line in the second half, as they grew tired. We have been in the same boat this year, with our defense being thin already, and starters getting tired.

LSU's objective will be to have long scoring drives. That's what Coach O wants. A little at a time. They won't come out airing it out downfield. They won't put themselves into positions for negative plays. It will be always moving forward. ALABAMA NEEDS TO HAVE THE EXACT SAME OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY.

I'm just stunned at how often the two programs are mirror images of each other, regardless of who their coach is. All else being equal, Orgeron is not Saban, and I like our guy better.

That's my biggest concern other than Tua's health and Burrow is the LSU run game. I think that will be one of the deciding factors of the game.. can our defense stop their run game with the new offense they have?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
perfect time to drop this nugget: https://coachhoover.blogspot.com/2019/08/creepers-vs-simulated-pressures.html

LSU DC Dave Aranda and Alabama DC Pete Golding are two of the best at running these replacement pressures and they were both mentored by the same person, ULL DC Ron Roberts.
[FONT="arial" ]Both Creepers and Simulated Pressures are pressures that bring a 2nd or 3rd level defender, a LB or DB, in exchange for dropping a 1st level defender on the DL. These “extra safe” pressures only require 4 rushers and do not sacrifice coverage in pressuring Offenses. Also, Creepers can be either Man or Zone and Simulated Pressures can be either Man or Zone. [/FONT]
Definitely explain why Jenning kept dropping back in coverage.... But anyway, reason I dropped this link: Golding have better personnel than LSU to deploy this. If LSU runs same concept.... then RPO wouldn't be easy to run on them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.