Security systems

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Has anyone replaced their wired security system with a new wireless system that somehow integrated the wired contacts on doors & windows?

Asking for a friend :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Has anyone replaced their wired security system with a new wireless system that somehow integrated the wired contacts on doors & windows?

Asking for a friend :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All I have is cameras. However, what you're asking looks to me like a tall order indeed...

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Yeah it’s pretty crazy that nobody has figured out (or provided) an easy way to do it. All the wired sensors work, I just want them to work with a smart system ! Plenty of DIY instructables but I’m not interested in DIY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah it’s pretty crazy that nobody has figured out (or provided) an easy way to do it. All the wired sensors work, I just want them to work with a smart system ! Plenty of DIY instructables but I’m not interested in DIY.

So, all the sensors go back to an AC hard-wired control unit?

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
So, all the sensors go back to an AC hard-wired control unit?
Yep. On EVERY window and door throughout the house and it also has a large battery backup inside the control panel. I have 20 windows downstairs and 14 upstairs and 3 doors. All embedded / hidden in the window sill or door frame. So, I REALLY don't want to install visible sensors everywhere. I've not gotten a satisfactory answer from anyone I talked to so may have to go with one of the mostly non-smart systems that may have some smart capabilities but it's not what I want ! :D

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
We just had one installed by our cable company as part of a bundle package. It’s been on for about 2 weeks, but unfortunately I have been on the boat since before it went in. I can give you my opinion next week
Do you know more specifically you had installed? (i.e. you had a smart system installed over the wired network?) If you don't know now, no problem. I'll just wait til your through tugging :)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I admit to being unqualified on this but have studied wireless systems quite a bit and have one installed. Of course modern wireless systems normally utilize a combination of glass breaks and motion detectors rather than placing detectors on each window. Apparently there are several providers however, that will install a wireless connection or replace the board on the existing wired system so that it communicates via wireless network with the "smart" command center. It is a bit of a chore to locate the right solution but it appears definitely possible to utilize the existing system adapted to communicate to a new "smart" system via wireless network.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Brett......someone just posted this on another forum - might be helpful - I don't know:

============

I’ve been using an older DSC home security system for 15 years. Everything still works as well as the day it was installed, but I wanted the ability to monitor/arm/disarm my system remotely like the newer systems can.

I found a company from Canada that makes a $100 electronic board which upgrades the DSC (and certain Honeywell systems based on the DSC platform) to modern home automation standards.

It basically is an extra keypad that is connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable. You have to register for a free monitoring account (upgraded accounts with more features are available for a monthly fee).

Installation was as easy as turning eight screws (four wires) and plugging the Ethernet cable in.

Features now available to me are

-Remote Arm/Disarm

-Email/Text notifications of
Alarm events
Arming/Disarming
Internet/Telephone faults

-Open/closed zones are visible via the smartphone app
-If you have motion sensors, the app will tell you which are being triggered even if the system is disarmed. Meaning if I walk from the front of my house to the back I can see my activity via the app.

-The system/app also has the ability to control remote cameras and HVAC systems (haven’t done this yet). Maybe even smoke alarms as well

-For a fee they will monitor your system and call first responders.

. . . I’m sure there are more features available I’m not aware of yet.

Here is the web site, the company has been around for at least 10 years.

EyezOn - See What Matters

Again I’m not affiliated with the company, just extremely pleased I was able to breathe 21st Century technology to my older security system.

===========

Please keep us posted.......thanks!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.