CNS says “Tua a Game Time Decision”

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Anyone else think Coach Saban is playing mind games with Orgeron? I believe he will not indicate who is playing QB until just before the opening series in order to make LSU prepare with a bit of uncertainty. That and it is the best way to deal with the reporters incessant questions on Tua’s health, Can Tua play, etc.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I would have just said not going to answer any Tua questions. Keep them all guessing and not let anyone see during the media period of practice.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Does anyone REALLY think it makes any difference in LSU's preparation?

Anyone here actually think that Orgeron is sitting over there and saying, "Well, since Tua might not play, I don't have to prepare
for him"?

There's literally no "mind game" here at all.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Anyone here actually think that Orgeron is sitting over there and saying, "Well, since Tua might not play, I don't have to prepare
for him"?

correct, it's not like we're playing a kirby smart team. coach o will prep for both.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany

for him"?

Yes, I do think it makes a difference whether knowing or assuming a game changer can play makes a difference in preparation and the amount of available time an opposing team spends on preparing for ”what ifs.”

The uncertainty of Tua playing makes an opposing team prepare for Tua “plus” whatever else Bama can do (MAC skill sets, Bolden wildcat plays, etc.). With a healthy Tua and absolutely no health concerns, an opposing team spends the vast majority of time available preparing to defeat or diminish Tua’s skill set.

However, I do wholeheartedly agree with your second point that Orgeron is not sitting over there saying, "Well, since Tua might not play, I don't have to prepare for him.” He’s making an assumption Tua will play, but CNS will not make it easy for him to be absolutely sure of the starting QB; hence the mind games question.

Last edited:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Yes, I do think it makes a difference whether knowing or assuming a game changer can play makes a difference in preparation and the amount of available time an opposing team spends on preparing for ”what ifs.”

The uncertainty of Tua playing makes an opposing team prepare for Tua “plus” whatever else Bama can do (MAC skill sets, Bolden wildcat plays, etc.). With a healthy Tua and absolutely no health concerns, an opposing team spends the vast majority of time available preparing to defeat or diminish Tua’s skill set.

However, I do wholeheartedly agree with your second point that Orgeron is not sitting over there saying, "Well, since Tua might not play, I don't have to prepare for him.” He’s making an assumption Tua will play, but CNS will not make it easy for him to be absolutely sure of the starting QB; hence the mind games question.
A little truth, but this is greatly overrated IMO. The reality is that what Bama can do without Tua is less than what they can do with Tua, so unless they know 100% Tua is not playing they will prepare for him, and it's not like Bama's going to completely reinvent the offense in 2-weeks and come out running the wishbone the entire game. They may run a little more, may not go over the middle quite as much, but overall they're going to run the offense they've practiced since the Spring.

Would it help LSU prepare if they knew exactly who to prepare for at qb? A little. Is it any kind of major game-changing deal that they don't know who will take most snaps at qb? Nah.

My guess is that Saban genuinely doesn't know and that it will be a last-minute decision.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
If it is a mind game it is not with Coach O, it is withthe LSU defense, especially the backs, who may prepare just a little less well, maybe subconsciously, if they think Tua wont play, or wont be that effective. Might also affect the offense a bit about how many points they need to put up to win. That said, in reality, I dont think it matters much. It is not like we shift the offense from pro set to wishbone depending on who is at quarterback.

Saban might just be telling, you know, the truth and at this stage he thinks he will not really know for certain till a week from Saturday. And it might keep him from having to face basically the same question asked five different ways at every press conference.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It does make a difference. If Bama coaches and players are not focusing on LSU this week..... then it doesn't make sense to talk about Tua and how he is doing in practice. It would be smart to show Mac in media period all next week making Ed second guess himself. There is no way coach should reveal any information on Tua until at least Thursday or Friday.

Second thing to consider regarding Tua: Last year there was so much attention on Tua when he got hurt, everyone was reporting every single things Tua did and what coach said... and it proved to be somewhat distracting, so he is trying to minimize that as much as he can.

Now, It would be nice if Saban said " Tua will not be starting the game against LSU and that's all I have to say about that." First snap of the game: Slade in wildcat and Tua trots out on second snap :)

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
If it is a mind game it is not with Coach O, it is with the LSU defense, especially the backs, who may prepare just a little less well, maybe subconsciously, if they think Tua wont play, or wont be that effective. Might also affect the offense a bit about how many points they need to put up to win. That said, in reality, I dont think it matters much. It is not like we shift the offense from pro set to wishbone depending on who is at quarterback.

Saban might just be telling, you know, the truth and at this stage he thinks he will not really know for certain till a week from Saturday. And it might keep him from having to face basically the same question asked five different ways at every press conference.
I thought you were going to say that Coach O has no mind to play with. :biggrin:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Yes, I think it's mind games. I thought all along this is how Saban might handle it. He might feel it will help a bit to keep Bama fans in the dark too because imagine how fired up the crowd at the game will become when they see Tua trot out onto the field with the offense. Reminds me a bit of Saban last season when he kept everyone in suspense about whether Tua or Jalen would be the starter.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
I really want Tua healthy and under center (or whatever you say now that no one is ever under center), but I also think it would be really great to see Bama beat LSU with Mac playing the whole game. Cajun heads would explode.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Start Mac, first play, first series, whatever, and then bring in Tua.
I thought along that line as well. Regardless of whether CNS really means what he said, or if it's just mind games, the L8U defense will have to be prepared for both Tua and Mac. The plays are mostly the same, but there are differences in how each quarterback behaves, reacts, etc. I think L8U will expect Tua. Starting Mac might throw them off a bit. Come out fast paced with Mac. No huddle offense. Score, then on the next drive, put Tua in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.