In terms of conference significance... IB
In terms of where I would rather be as a neutral fan... IB
In terms of where I would rather be as a drunk... CP
In terms of a quality game... depends but usually favors the IB

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I think why I started this thread wasn’t to be a homer for the IB. I do miss neutral site (not necessarily Birmingham) and 50/50 tickets. CP still has that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Both are not what they use to be IMO. I hope CP stays the way it is. The IB is just a name now for a particular game. Back in the day it felt more like a real bowl game.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Both are not what they use to be IMO. I hope CP stays the way it is. The IB is just a name now for a particular game. Back in the day it felt more like a real bowl game.
Some on here are too young to remember how intense the IB use to be. Back in those days the shopping centers were empty and there was something electric in the air when the IB was played. You didn’t have sports on TV 24/7 like you do now. The fact that both fan bases had equal tickets meant that each team’s crowd was loud.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well the Iron Bowl isn't really the Iron Bowl anymore, but I'm not saying I miss the game being played in Birmingham. If Birmingham had a quality venue worth hosting the game, maybe it would be worth it.

I would say the "Iron Bowl" is the better game... because it is the season ending game and so much is often riding it on it. It's final. There is nothing left after it, so if the division is riding on the game, there is no chance to get back in the race if you lose. At least with the Cocktail Party there is still a month left and things can happen to turn your fortunes around.

But the ultimatum of the Iron Bowl gives it greater importance, IMO.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
i went to a lot of really big games there in the 80s and always liked the stadium. the last game i attended there was seccg in 93
It is indelibly etched in my mind. I’m very grateful I got to experience it. I wish there was a really good stadium in the state we could do it again for old times sake.

RyanM

Suspended
Sep 14, 2019
I was at the 85(The Kick) game, 10 years old waving a big ass Bama flag, right behind the bench. The CP is a Johnny come lately, seeing as how Florida was basically Vanderbilt before the 90’s

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I was at the 85(The Kick) game, 10 years old waving a big ass Bama flag, right behind the bench. The CP is a Johnny come lately, seeing as how Florida was basically Vanderbilt before the 90’s
Speaking of Florida being Vanderbilt before the 90’s....I remember Bama having a lot blowouts against Florida before Spurrier came along.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.