ONE DAY LEFT ... We are officially UNBUCKLED Bama vs Penn

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Re: ONE DAY LEFT ... We are officially UNBUCKELED Bama vs Penn

We really could have used Rojas last night. I thought he would be a starter from day 1 so losing him for the season hurts badly. JQ would also have helped us last night.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

I actually enjoyed Ol Coach Wimp
I did, too. He's in a tough spot. He loves the Alabama program and I think he's mostly over his hard feelings about how he was helped out the door. Let's face it, it was totally his own fault. I think even he realizes that now.

He basically built the program and I think he likes Oats and wants him to succeed. Wimp can't really get too critical and remark on even basic deficiencies or problems he sees in coaching/performance because of his desire to not be seen as "interfering". So even though I like him on the color comentary, he can't really say what's on his mind. Kind of handcuffed before you start if your job is to provide insight. Oh well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I understand that there were a lot of points scored, but we shot what, 36%, missed a whole bunch of layups, and missed 7 of 22 freebies in a one point loss. And I am not undermining a Penn team with four returning starters who play a tough schedule, but they ain't Kentucky. Florida. Freakin' Auburn.

rtr
I get it, but you mentioned one of the big issues from last night - four returning starters with a coach entering his fifth season. Alabama was in its first true game in a completely different style.

Ryan Betley - 52 games played; 48 started - 12 points
Devon Goodman - 80 games played; 33 started - 7 points
Bryce Washington - 30 games played; 22 started
AJ Brodeur - 92 games played; 92 started - 19 points

True freshman Jordan Dingle lead them with 24 points, though.

Saw some say they are disappointed. Why? To be disappointed, the team had to fail to meet your expectations. Other than a win, what were your expectations? When you consider the team's best defender only played 10 minutes due to an injury....

Nate's post game comment was pretty accurate:

We have got a lot to fix, we're going to get back and fix it. Sometimes when you win, the mistakes that were made all game make the guys think they're okay getting away with it. Sometimes you need to take a loss like this. Taking a loss early isn't always the worst thing as long as you are resilient enough to come back.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

My 2 cents

We were thin up front with injuries, and having to go against a 7'-3" center was tough. Our offense will be drives and 3's it looks like, which is more a modern day pro style. We did not stand around like last year. We started doing better on drives in the 2nd half, and had a nice pick and roll that drew a bogus charge. I think part of our drive issues may be that guys aren't running to spots for the driver to kick out. We took good shots from 3 for the most part, but sometimes guys were getting in a hurry and not gathering their feet. In the post game, the Penn coach pointed out that his team is mature, and that Oats has things going well. He sounded relieved, like I'm glad we played them first game. Maybe I'm biased, but I think Reese will be a factor this year. I was wondering why Oats didn't put in Reese with another big, but there just weren't enough bodies. This team is a lot more fun to watch.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I did, too. He's in a tough spot. He loves the Alabama program and I think he's mostly over his hard feelings about how he was helped out the door. Let's face it, it was totally his own fault. I think even he realizes that now.

He basically built the program and I think he likes Oats and wants him to succeed. Wimp can't really get too critical and remark on even basic deficiencies or problems he sees in coaching/performance because of his desire to not be seen as "interfering". So even though I like him on the color comentary, he can't really say what's on his mind. Kind of handcuffed before you start if your job is to provide insight. Oh well.
Yeah, he bit his lip all game long. You could hear him thinking "Better not say that"...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

My 2 cents

We were thin up front with injuries, and having to go against a 7'-3" center was tough. Our offense will be drives and 3's it looks like, which is more a modern day pro style. We did not stand around like last year. We started doing better on drives in the 2nd half, and had a nice pick and roll that drew a bogus charge. I think part of our drive issues may be that guys aren't running to spots for the driver to kick out. We took good shots from 3 for the most part, but sometimes guys were getting in a hurry and not gathering their feet. In the post game, the Penn coach pointed out that his team is mature, and that Oats has things going well. He sounded relieved, like I'm glad we played them first game. Maybe I'm biased, but I think Reese will be a factor this year. I was wondering why Oats didn't put in Reese with another big, but there just weren't enough bodies. This team is a lot more fun to watch.
I tend to agree with these points. I just hope we have the shooting talent to play this offense. It was nice seeing Reese really trying hard the entire game. I didn't see that resigned "Oh, what's the use" look on his face once...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

I tend to agree with these points. I just hope we have the shooting talent to play this offense. It was nice seeing Reese really trying hard the entire game. I didn't see that resigned "Oh, what's the use" look on his face once...
You get zero points for the shot you don't take :). I'm hoping we get more comfortable with this style and pace, and the guys shooting strokes improve with it. As short-handed as we were, you know that minutes will catch up with you. Guessing Kira had dead legs at the end. I'm not sure that we have a pure shooter on this team, though.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Just thought about the fact that our last two games were losses to Norfolk State and Penn. Best to think of something else, I guess.

rtr

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You get zero points for the shot you don't take :). I'm hoping we get more comfortable with this style and pace, and the guys shooting strokes improve with it. As short-handed as we were, you know that minutes will catch up with you. Guessing Kira had dead legs at the end. I'm not sure that we have a pure shooter on this team, though.
Reese actually comes the closest. I could wish he had a little more arc, but it works. He was just a couple of percentage points behind Dazon last season, just under 40%, IIRC...

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL

Just thought about the fact that our last two games were losses to Norfolk State and Penn. Best to think of something else, I guess.

I think people are letting the name Penn fool them to a degree. No they are not Kentucky but they are a quality team. One thing about Ivy league schools as a whole, is they play smart disciplined basketball for two halves and take down more athletic teams every year by doing so. This team will be fun to watch this season but there definitely will be some growing pains. Injuries have certainly not helped the cause either., but I do like what I see.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Reese actually comes the closest. I could wish he had a little more arc, but it works. He was just a couple of percentage points behind Dazon last season, just under 40%, IIRC...
IMO mechanically, Reese has the best stroke. Soft hands - reminds me of Yao Ming. Kira has a pretty good stroke, too. Petty is Ray Allen one shot and Ray Charles the next.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

IMO mechanically, Reese has the best stroke. Soft hands - reminds me of Yao Ming. Kira has a pretty good stroke, too. Petty is Ray Allen one shot and Ray Charles the next.
If you’re talking form and mechanics, it’s Alex and Kira. However, Schackelford and Bolden can flat light it up. Last night you could tell that they were rushing a little. It takes time to get used to playing at the pace that we were playing with. You Will eventually see Jaylen Forbes be a very pure shooter by mid to end of this year. This team will be able to shoot. You could tell they were rushing and not getting their feet set every time. Remember Shackelford was 6 of 10 vs Ga Tech. He’s a shooter, even though his form is a bit awkward.

I really liked at the end of the game when we went Reese at the 5. It really spread the floor and it was able to pull their 7’3 big out of the paint.

We can’t play him full time at the 5 because of rebounding issues, but in certain spots and with our end of game lineups he is a perfect small ball 5. In fact that’s the actual NBA trend is to play small in the last 2-3 minutes of a game.

We will be fine. Like someone said look at that actually team, and forget the name. Penn is an NCAAT team, with a very tough offense to guard. Especially with a 7’3 C that can step out and shoot the 3. This was a good Penn team. We shot 30% and still scored 80 points. We will get it figured out. Some people just expect the coaching staff to be miracle workers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
#firecoachoats (blue font)

Seriously, not getting too worked up about the loss. As said above, they are a veteran team with a fifth year coach and they are smart players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

rtr
Remember the loss to LA Monroe? That was in a great coach's first season at Bama as well.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I think people are letting the name Penn fool them to a degree. No they are not Kentucky but they are a quality team. One thing about Ivy league schools as a whole, is they play smart disciplined basketball for two halves and take down more athletic teams every year by doing so. This team will be fun to watch this season but there definitely will be some growing pains. Injuries have certainly not helped the cause either., but I do like what I see.

True and I agree ... I can't say enough that Penn is a tourney-bound team. Plus, we are playing the number 7th toughest non conference schedule in the country, Penn is a part of the reason why.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Look, if I didn't love Alabama basketball I wouldn't say anything, but aren't WE supposed to be one of those good teams? Aren't we supposed to intimidate people on our schedule, especially in our building? When people say 'oh, but Penn is really good' that doesn't say much to me because what are we? Having the 7th most difficult schedule is all well and good until you lose to all of those good teams, then it's just you losing.

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Look, if I didn't love Alabama basketball I wouldn't say anything, but aren't WE supposed to be one of those good teams? Aren't we supposed to intimidate people on our schedule, especially in our building? When people say 'oh, but Penn is really good' that doesn't say much to me because what are we? Having the 7th most difficult schedule is all well and good until you lose to all of those good teams, then it's just you losing.

rtr
This thinking completely ignores the state of the basketball program.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Another thought does remember when Anthony Grant debut we played Cornell and lost to a Steve Donahue team that beat us last night. I will say we lost to a team that werent supposed to. and also bad enough every SEC team won but us I still say we will BEAT SOMEBODY that we are not supposed to.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.