JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Penn 81, Alabama 80: Perils in the paint show up right from the start
by Chris DePew
TideFans Staff
November 5th, 2019 11:44 PM

Kira Lewis scored a career-high 30 points but it was his two missed free throws with two seconds left that doomed Alabama in an 81-80 season-opening home loss to Penn. What did we learn today?: Forty minutes into the new season, and paint play is already at a crisis level. Everyone knew that injuries had […]

Read More Here...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Agree with everything you wrote. The biggest injury by far is Rojas. We just have a huge hole inside and it will be difficult for us to overcome the lack of player who can bang, rebound, and collect a few some garbage points around the basket. If Herb is sidelined for any length of time, this may be a building year. I think Avery left cupboard pretty bare at that position. I hoped Smith would turn the corner, but while he is big enough, he just hasn't developed the skills to compete with quicker players down low. He was a better defender than Davis who I think can develop into a good player given time, but at this point the position is a glaring sore spot.

Kira gave it everything he had last night so anyone who criticizes the kid needs to back up. If Quinnerly was in the lineup, I think he makes those 2 free throws, but honestly he was just gassed. I was very impressed with Shackleford and I thought Forbes gave us some quality minutes. The only way forward is to become a 3 point shooting team. We simply have no skilled bigs inside so we'll have to play around it until we can get some recruits on campus. With all that being said, if not for a horrible wave off of a tip in that clearly showed it was not in the cylinder, we would have won the game. Coach Oats said as much in his post game comments. This just shows how good Coach Oats truly is for us to even have a chance when at the 35 minute mark of the game, we had zero points from a big. I didn't realize Reese was hobbled, but early on, the Penn center just abused him and pretty much every player who guarded him. Reese did get more aggressive toward the end of the game which makes you wonder where that energy was in the first half.

RTR

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Gonna be a long year UNLESS we get some inside help.
Imagine if Wade had not bought Watford at LSU, we'd have a really good team. At this point though, we are what we are. We are going to have to play with who we have. I hope we can get Davis, or Smith to become at least serviceable players. I really thought Smith was playing much better toward the end of the year . I thought he could be a decent defender and score a few garbage points.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Imagine if Wade had not bought Watford at LSU, we'd have a really good team. At this point though, we are what we are. We are going to have to play with who we have. I hope we can get Davis, or Smith to become at least serviceable players. I really thought Smith was playing much better toward the end of the year . I thought he could be a decent defender and score a few garbage points.

Is Watford playing this season...? :conf3:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.