JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
LSU preview: Tigers are media darlings, but aren’t without holes
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 7th, 2019 12:42 AM

In the never-ending quest to find a worthy challenger to the Crimson Tide, the media has seized on LSU as the most likely of Alabama’s potential opponents to take down Bama and, finally, end up with a College Football Playoff that doesn’t run through Tuscaloosa. “Help us, Orger-Wan. You’re our only hope!” But in […]

Read More Here

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Clear-eyed and as objective as ever. In our last Clemson game, our defense actually quit. Saturday, it will have to fight for every yard. Even with its flaws, I think it will.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I said in another thread, both teams have potent offenses that could result in an offensive track meet. Ultimately though, this game will come down to which defense makes the fewest mistakes and has the staying power to finish.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Who would have thought you could give LSU the QB and WR categories a month ago.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
The only reason LSU’s top two WRs (Jefferson, Chase) barely edge out our top two WRs (Smith, Jeudy) on the stat sheet is because Tua spreads it around far more than Burrow. If you look at the #3 and #4 of each team, Bama’s account for 29.9% of total receiving yardage, while LSU’s account for only 19.1%.

For my money, there’s not even a question: Bama easily has the better WR corps. Probably one of the best in college football history.

Of course, WRs don’t play against WRs though. They play against DBs. And we hold the edge in that category as well. Jefferson and Chase may have the edge over our DBs. But I believe Smith, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Waddle will have a much bigger edge over their DBs. And with MLB Divinity gone from the middle of their defense, we’re going to have a field day with slants.

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks, Jess.

I agree that the game will come down to defense. I hope Tua is near 100 percent and that nobody gets injured during the game.

I hope it does not come down to a field goal.

I will have my bottle of TUMS ready! And CBD oil for anxiety too !

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Thank you, as always, for the great write up. It's objective, and that's what we look forward to every week. Great job.

I do agree with others that say our WR corps is better. Even without Forristall, we are still better, by a large margin. If D. Smith can go, even better. Jeudy, Ruggs, and Waddell are just too good to even compare with anyone else in college football. BUT, and a big but for sure, Tua must be near 100% to make all of that work. With anyone else, timing and routes are not as sharp, and it's very noticeable. Jones just doesn't do what Tua does.

I've been saying it since Tennessee: If Tua can be near 100%, this is a win in Tuscaloosa. If he less than that, even just by a step, LSU might get us.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think turnovers will be the key. And our guys have started making more of late. I would not be surprised if a pick-six by one of our corners is the deciding factor.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Nice write up, Jess! But like others, I think our WR corp holds the edge in that category. And I don't count out Tua in the quarterback category. I think he's ready to play, and don't see the ankle as much of a factor. Not like in 2018.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
thanks for the write up.... I do think it is important to get off to a good start and have LSU and their fans thinking that Bama just has their number and then they can start blaming the refs the rest of the game. We need to wipe out their hope right off the bat... I think teams play harder when they think they can win....

Swanny

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2004
LSU’s new commitment to the passing game has worked, with the Tigers ranking 4th in total offense and scoring offense and 2nd in passing offense. Rushing offense clocks in at 76th, but LSU has been effective on the ground when it has to be. There’s a lack of dynamism at the quarterback position but it’s covered up nicely by extreme efficiency. A veteran offensive line holds everything together. Alabama runs a similar, pass-heavy, spread-element, pro-style attack, and has similar numbers despite Tua Tagovailoa missing an entire game and half of another. It wouldn’t be a surprise for fans to end up watching these two offenses trade blows for the duration of the game like a pair of prize fighters.

Not sure if you meant to say this, but lets hope that Saturday they do not spend the day "holding" everything together. :)

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Jess,
You puzzle me. You made every case in the book for and LSU win then predicted Alabama would win. I don't get it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.