Link: Jaw-Juh and Ohio St announce home and home that is 10 years away. Why?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're being scheduled this far out because after the initial CFP agreement ends in 6 years the new CFP contract will be for 8-team playoff. With the expansion, 2-loss playoff participants are possible and strength of schedule will be a huge advantage for those kind of teams selected by the committee. Furthermore, fans are demanding these sorts of games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Because you have to schedule this far in advance? Why does Alabama announce future opponents? To create buzz and excitement?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I don't understand why games have to be scheduled this far in advance. What's the purpose of scheduling this far in advance when so much can change between now and then? Unless I'm missing something, scheduling shouldn't be like turning a battle ship.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28028023/ohio-state-georgia-schedule-second-third-meetings-ever
I'm with you Buzzard. No reason why the schedule has to be made so far in advance IMHO. I guess "because it has always been done that way" is the real excuse but what do I know.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That's what I'm asking. Why do they have to schedule 10 years out? What's keeping them from scheduling within a smaller window?
It's because there is no uniformity in college football. Some conferences play 8 conference games, some play 9, giving them fewer non-con slots available. Schedules are made by different teams at different times. So, you want a series with Ohio State, but due to them playing 9 conference games, and having already contracted out the other available slots (or be in serious discussions with others) then this is the only available window that Georgia and Ohio State had.

And quite honestly, the available slots per year are really only 1 or 2. Because no power 5 team is going to schedule 3 non-con games against fellow powers. So really we are talking about only 1 available slot on each schedule per year. Well consider they've got an open window in 2025, but nothing the following year. So a home and home won't work. So then you've got to look for the first window of 2 consecutive years.

It's this way because the sport is completely disjointed. The complete opposite of the neatness of the NFL, for example. Which, I happen to love even if it means absurdities such as this.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
They're being scheduled this far out because after the initial CFP agreement ends in 6 years the new CFP contract will be for 8-team playoff. With the expansion, 2-loss playoff participants are possible and strength of schedule will be a huge advantage for those kind of teams selected by the committee. Furthermore, fans are demanding these sorts of games.
this.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
It's because there is no uniformity in college football. Some conferences play 8 conference games, some play 9, giving them fewer non-con slots available. Schedules are made by different teams at different times. So, you want a series with Ohio State, but due to them playing 9 conference games, and having already contracted out the other available slots (or be in serious discussions with others) then this is the only available window that Georgia and Ohio State had.

And quite honestly, the available slots per year are really only 1 or 2. Because no power 5 team is going to schedule 3 non-con games against fellow powers. So really we are talking about only 1 available slot on each schedule per year. Well consider they've got an open window in 2025, but nothing the following year. So a home and home won't work. So then you've got to look for the first window of 2 consecutive years.

It's this way because the sport is completely disjointed. The complete opposite of the neatness of the NFL, for example. Which, I happen to love even if it means absurdities such as this.
This, actually.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
That's a good home and home series.
Might even have to pull for the Dawgs against OSU!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Dang it, voice of reason, but I still don't like it :D

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Having that game film will help CNS in preparation for Alabama's 17th consecutive playoff appearance and goes for NC #26.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
2028: Texas and FSU
2029: Texas and Clemson
2030: Ohio state and Clemson
2031: Ohio State and Oklahoma

Oregon, Virginia and UCLA are also on future schedules. It appears Georgia is trying to schedule two out of conference P5 schools per year outside of GA tech.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
its a long way off, so who knows if it will really happen.

"Ohio State and Georgia were originally supposed to meet in the regular season in the 2020 and 2021 seasons, but Ohio State cancelled the series because of the Big Ten’s agreement at the time with the Pac-12 that called for 12 non-conference games per year between the two conferences. That agreement has since been called off."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I wonder if Vegas has odds on whether either head coach will still be at the same school ten years from now...

Who's more likely to...Kirby or Dabo?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.