Thoughts on the Penn game

JeffwallaceUA

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2019
I was there. The first thing I noticed was the frenetic energy we were playing with. I've never seen an alabama team play that hard. I was excited to see that. The next thing I noticed, soon after the energy, was the sloppiness. I think we were just not ready to try to play at that pace.

The offense looked odd at first. It felt like we were just doing ISO. I didn't love the feel of it at first. Plus our offensive skill level looked subpar. The more I watched though, the more I started noticing the spacing. My God, Kira could get to the basket every time he wanted. He had a clear lane. That was beautiful. If we could get some players around him this offense would freaking cook! But we don't.

Our defense was ridiculously bad. PENN got to the basket at will. Literally every time they drove they went right by our defense. We seemed to have never seen a pick and roll offense before. So many new faces and freshmen out there I'm afraid that wont improve enough for us to be competitive on that end of the floor all season.

What do you guys think?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I was there. The first thing I noticed was the frenetic energy we were playing with. I've never seen an alabama team play that hard. I was excited to see that. The next thing I noticed, soon after the energy, was the sloppiness. I think we were just not ready to try to play at that pace.

The offense looked odd at first. It felt like we were just doing ISO. I didn't love the feel of it at first. Plus our offensive skill level looked subpar. The more I watched though, the more I started noticing the spacing. My God, Kira could get to the basket every time he wanted. He had a clear lane. That was beautiful. If we could get some players around him this offense would freaking cook! But we don't.

Our defense was ridiculously bad. PENN got to the basket at will. Literally every time they drove they went right by our defense. We seemed to have never seen a pick and roll offense before. So many new faces and freshmen out there I'm afraid that wont improve enough for us to be competitive on that end of the floor all season.

What do you guys think?
Thought everything was fine, except our "on ball" defense and in the paint. Obviously, we need to play taller in the paint. We are playing small ball until we grow a bit, but once we get some sort of persona we might be OK. It's a matter of finding out who we are and hopefully, that should start showing around Dec. or Jan.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My biggest concern is simply defending inside. If Penn's center can dominate inside, imagine what teams like LSU or UK will do. I don't think we need to be great at center, but it can not be a glaring weakness either. I do agee we need to defend much better than we did, but defense will come with time and experience. I think our offense will be fine once they get more accustomed to the pace of play.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Hard to beat anybody shooting 35% from the floor. If that was just 40%, we win by 7. From what little I got to watch online, it just seemed like a bad shooting night.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
You know ... we've talked about the woes of defending the front court but the forward wasnt even the leading scorer, the guard was. If we could have kept him in check we would have ran away with the game. Saying that to say I think we will win our fair share of games against the taller teams if we play consistently

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hard to beat anybody shooting 35% from the floor. If that was just 40%, we win by 7. From what little I got to watch online, it just seemed like a bad shooting night.
Agree, but it comes down to play in the paint. You shot well from the outside in the first half, but when Penn realized that you simply had no presence in the paint they adjusted. After the half, they locked down on your perimeter shots. Really hard to shoot from 3 point land when they are in your face and making you move your feet.

Fix the post play and the outside stuff will open up.

JeffwallaceUA

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2019
Agree, but it comes down to play in the paint. You shot well from the outside in the first half, but when Penn realized that you simply had no presence in the paint they adjusted. After the half, they locked down on your perimeter shots. Really hard to shoot from 3 point land when they are in your face and making you move your feet.

Fix the post play and the outside stuff will open up.
Sounds good but how? We lack talent and experience down low.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Defense is about communication as well as on ball pressure. Players have to experience with each other to cut off drives to the basket and drop down to double a player. I think we'll shoot better as the year goes on.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
You know ... we've talked about the woes of defending the front court but the forward wasnt even the leading scorer, the guard was. If we could have kept him in check we would have ran away with the game. Saying that to say I think we will win our fair share of games against the taller teams if we play consistently
That kid wore us out off the high post screen and we didn't switch well at all.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
That kid wore us out off the high post screen and we didn't switch well at all.
This is exactly it. He was setting the UCLA high post screens (Mark Gottfried would have been proud) he is such a big body that you really can’t “hold” the screen because he will step out and knock down the 3. You also can’t fully switch because then they can just do a re-screen for perfect post-up position. He was just a major mismatch. You also couldn’t really double down on him because they had shooters on the floor. There is a reason why an Ivy League team usually wins a first round game in the NCAAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
You have to realize that this group of players are having to integrate a completely new system both offensively and defensively. If you think about it, Galin Smith played sparingly last year and Davis not at all. It takes time to develop on the defensive end more than the offensive end IMHO. I'll leave it to someone who understands and knows the X's and O's better than I do, but if our effort is as good as it was against Penn,(assuming no injuries) well win our share of games. We just have to have someone who can rebound and defend inside. Herb Jones may be the X-factor for us. He is the only player who can defend at a high level consistently.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Pretty much.

Bama missed slightly contested layups constantly until late in the game when mainly Lewis took the ball in.

I imagine there will be some teams in which Bama will be expected to trade 2's for 3's as the opponent will score with bigs inside and Bama will shoot (and make?) from the three.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
There are going to be growing pains. Plain and simple.
Consider this as well, these guys are still trying to comprehend being free to shoot and not get pulled just because you miss a shot. They are not used to that and it has an effect on the phsyche.
I didn't get to watch but did listen and I gather we played for 40 minutes. We kept fighting all game long and didn't mentally check out. We didn't have a late game collapse.
I think we'll see improvement as the season goes along and win some games we wouldn't have last season.
It's gonna be a process (much like football was) and as long as the players are buying in and working hard we will be ok.

JeffwallaceUA

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2019
Consider this as well, these guys are still trying to comprehend being free to shoot and not get pulled just because you miss a shot. They are not used to that and it has an effect on the phsyche.
I didn't get to watch but did listen and I gather we played for 40 minutes. We kept fighting all game long and didn't mentally check out. We didn't have a late game collapse.
I think we'll see improvement as the season goes along and win some games we wouldn't have last season.
It's gonna be a process (much like football was) and as long as the players are buying in and working hard we will be ok.
This is a good perspective. All those things are true. Plus we'll have herb back which should help alot

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think Penn is a really good team anyways. No shame losing to them by 1 in a tight game. :cool2:

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Like 2007 season in football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.