The LSU game will probably decide the Heisman winner

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I looked for a Heisman thread and didn't notice a recent one. Anyway, the LSU game is big for obvious reasons, and I like a lot of fans view the Heisman as of secondary importance. It still irritates me that in recent years it has been turned into the Oklahoma quarterback award though, and it would have been a nice consolation prize to the humiliation of the championship game last year.

Obviously the game is huge. It will practically guarantee the winner a spot in the playoff. The loser, particularly if it is LSU, will still have a shot at the playoff as well.

The Heisman trophy doesn't have a playoff though. The loser of this game will probably lose the Heisman. I have to admit, after the Tua injury I felt like his candidacy was over. It knocked him out of that game, it knocked him out of a future game, and I believe the last winner to miss a game due to injury was Charles Woodson.

A few things happened though. While Burrow played a solid game, his 1 passing TD and 145 rating was not good enough to distance himself sufficiently. Hurts, while salvaging his reputation a bit late in the game ended up losing. He also only threw for one touchdown. These two less than stellar performances resulted in Tua having the top QBR in college football.

Another recent development opened the path even further, Chase Young's suspension ends his already unlikely Heisman candidacy. So, miraculously Tua didn't really lose much ground after being hurt. I saw a new ranking which has Burrow 1, Young 2, Tua 3, and Hurts 4. I might as well mention Fields, who is right up there in QBR. He's just not throwing the ball enough to be a top candidate, and whether or not that's fair is another debate. That along with another player on his team stealing the limelight is all it takes to significantly weaken his chances.

Burrow as it stands is really running away with the award. He has the numbers, his team has the ranking, but all those things can change. For instance, the Fournette vs. Henry matchup. Coming into the game Fournette was seen as running away with the trophy, and he was. He was putting together big game after big game. The least amount of rushing yards he put up was 150. Winning the trophy seemed like a formality. Then Alabama happened, and he got a mere 31 yards. On the other hand, Henry had a massive game, with 201 yards and 3 TDs. Fournette never recovered, going for 91 yards the next game, and 108 after that. Henry went for 204, 271, and 189.

I also recall going to the 2012 Texas A&M game and telling a young cousin I brought with us that this would probably decide the Heisman trophy. Johnny Manziel already had a good shot at the Heisman, but AJ was kind of an outlier in the discussion. Johnny was as advertised, but unfortunately AJ struggled. He threw 2 interceptions and had one of his worst performances of the year. This ended any Heisman candidacy that year for AJ, but it solidified Johnny's position. A result like that would surely be the difference between Burrow or Tua.

This is a different situation, but it's hard to imagine the stakes being much higher. Tua is recovering from an injury, which might give he and Alabama a slightly larger margin for error in people's minds. However, we're talking #1 in Heisman standings, #1 in the playoff rankings, and quite possibly #1 in the NFL draft. The winner of this game likely picks up a lot of the support for the other team/candidate, giving them a rock solid hold on #1 (playoff and Heisman standings). I was a bit relieved that when it seemed like Tua was going to be out of the Heisman race, hoping it might re-balance the offense and take some of the pressure off. But, here we are...

Personally, I'm fine with an ugly win. I'd be fine with a throwback performance where Najee Harris takes over the game and Alabama dominates on the ground. However, I know the most likely scenario is that the quarterback who plays better wins the game... and the Heisman.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I have believed this since OU lost. This game decides it - or gives the winning QB a HUGE lead

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Thanks for a great read. Sometimes I get bogged down with lengthy posts but this one kept my attention all the way through.

It's hard to find anything to disagree with, let's hope for the best.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
That's a great rundown and comparison with the past. Thank you for writing it!

I still think the people in NY want to give this Heisman to Jalen. They want anyone other than an Alabama player to win it. It's how it's always been, and it's why Alabama has 17 national titles, and only recently ever had a Heisman winner. Now, we've had two, and deservedly so. All that said, Tua will have to play lights out just to win this game, and one would think that would boost his candidacy. But I'm not sure even that would be enough. It would do enough to probably take Burrow out of real contention, but that would only serve to raise Jalen's standing, provided they take care of business the rest of the way. Which i think they will. Honestly, does anyone really think Baylor will beat them? Iowa State? They have lost their one game, and they nearly came back to win that, after an incredible rally, which would have made Jalen the number 1 candidate, in my opinion.

I really feel strongly that the Heisman, which has always been a media choice anyway, is now firmly controlled by ESPN/ABC/Disney, aka, The Mouse. And The Mouse loves a "feel good" story.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's a great rundown and comparison with the past. Thank you for writing it!

I still think the people in NY want to give this Heisman to Jalen.
Good thing the vote is distributed evenly among the regions of the country and NOT dependent upon a couple of suits in Manhattan, eh?

They want anyone other than an Alabama player to win it.
Mark Ingram and Derrick Henry disagree.

It's how it's always been, and it's why Alabama has 17 national titles, and only recently ever had a Heisman winner.
Actually, no, that has nothing to do with it at all.

The biggest issue is that Coach Bryant never had "starters" in the classic sense and coached during an era of fewer limitations.
We had some years where we rotated between 3 and 6 wishbone quarterbacks who - if you could have combined their stats all together - would have made great contenders or winners.

Seriously - who can you name prior to maybe the mid-80s that deserved serious consideration? Namath maybe? Musso?

Now, we've had two, and deservedly so. All that said, Tua will have to play lights out just to win this game, and one would think that would boost his candidacy. But I'm not sure even that would be enough. It would do enough to probably take Burrow out of real contention, but that would only serve to raise Jalen's standing, provided they take care of business the rest of the way. Which i think they will. Honestly, does anyone really think Baylor will beat them? Iowa State? They have lost their one game, and they nearly came back to win that, after an incredible rally, which would have made Jalen the number 1 candidate, in my opinion.
If Jalen Hurts wins the Heisman Trophy so long as Tua is the starting QB at Alabama, the Heisman is an even bigger joke than it used to be when they gave it to a Notre Dame guy on a 2-8 team.

You CANNOT POSSIBLY be the "best player in the nation" when you LOST YOUR JOB to....a BETTER player who IS STILL PLAYING.

That is a literal impossibility.

And Hurts suddenly putting up video game numbers when he couldn't do it at Alabama shows he's the same system QB that is only getting attention because he's at Oklahoma.

I really feel strongly that the Heisman, which has always been a media choice anyway, is now firmly controlled by ESPN/ABC/Disney, aka, The Mouse. And The Mouse loves a "feel good" story.
I'll be looking for the black helicopters and tin foil hats over Manhattan then.....

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If Jalen Hurts wins the Heisman Trophy so long as Tua is the starting QB at Alabama, the Heisman is an even bigger joke than it used to be when they gave it to a Notre Dame guy on a 2-8 team.

You CANNOT POSSIBLY be the "best player in the nation" when you LOST YOUR JOB to....a BETTER player who IS STILL PLAYING.

That is a literal impossibility.
To be fair Tua could be the better player but not have the better season.

Tom Brady doesn't win MVP every year

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
"I'll be looking for the black helicopters and tin foil hats over Manhattan then....."

Manhattan, Kansas? LOL

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I honestly think that the Heisman should be announced AFTER the National Championship game. Make the decision in the week after that game. The SEASON isn't OVER until that championship has been decided. It can still be a hyped up huge decision and media broadcast, but only after the CROP is out of the field: no more cotton to pick or corn to gather.

It may NOT be a member of the National Championship team; however, it just may be.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I still think the people in NY want to give this Heisman to Jalen.
I think Hurts will be in New York and so will Tua (unless something big happens). Tua vs. Jalen will be an interesting story. Hurts and Fields are not out of this, but someone needs to trip up in front of them.

However, we don't usually get a chance to see the trophy actually decided on the field. Last year we saw Oklahoma vs. Alabama and it almost certainly would have decided the winner, if not for the fact that they'd already given the trophy away. In this scenario, it's going to be really, really hard to forget what happens in this game. I was not happy with last year's results because Murray played more snaps against weaker defenses and massively inflated his numbers. When they played each other Tua didn't just get the win, he had a 236 rating vs a 139, we know who played better and that likely would have been decisive.

Results like that will be very, very hard to overlook. Unless there's just a terrible performance down the road in a loss, I think voters will have to pay attention to who has the best game here.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Hurts will be in New York and so will Tua (unless something big happens).
IMO, Jalen needs the Sooners to make the CFP to get the votes. He needs to stay in the eyes of the media or he will become an afterthought.

If the media doesn't hype you, you have no shot.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To be fair Tua could be the better player but not have the better season.

Tom Brady doesn't win MVP every year

1) It doesn’t say a word about “this goes to the player with the best stats”; it says very explicitly the “outstanding player”.

2) You can run up some great stats when the other teams don’t play defense. You shouldn’t get extra points because you play for someone or play in a Defense Optional league.

The fact Jalen couldn’t compile those kinds of yards at UA and then can should be obvious as to what it means.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I always enjoy Krazy's posts he uses the stats to backup his opinions and I do agree with what he has said. OTOH I just want to beat LSU whether Tua has a great game or not. If we win or lose I really do not care who eventually wins the Heisman.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I always enjoy Krazy's posts he uses the stats to backup his opinions and I do agree with what he has said. OTOH I just want to beat LSU whether Tua has a great game or not. If we win or lose I really do not care who eventually wins the Heisman.
It's a sideshow for us but Auburn dwells on them like championships... :)

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
If LSU wins then yes that probably means Burrow had a great game and will be the Heisman winner.

If Alabama wins I'm assuming Tua has played and played well. I would assume that would put him in the Heisman lead. I never worried one bit about Tua losing the Heisman last year until the SECCG and even then thought there is no way anyone's season compared to his. I was almost cocky about Tua winning it toward the end of the season. Tua got robbed last year.

I hope he wins it. I definitely do! But I'm not trusting anything out of the rest of the country until that 2nd weekend in December when I hear his name announced. Roll Tide! Beat LSU!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I have no issues cheering for and hoping for our players to obtain individual success in addition to the team's success.

I won't ever understand fellow fans not caring or feeling the need to state 'I'd rather win the NC' as if that needs saying.

In 2009 Mark Ingram won the Heisman and Alabama won the NC.

In 2015 Derrick Henry won the Heisman and Alabama won the NC.

What's wrong with Tua winning the Heisman in 2019 and Alabama winning the NC too?? Nothing's wrong that's what.

Oh and yes I agree.... The QB who leads his team to the Win in this game will pull far and away as the Heisman frontrunner. The Trophy will be theirs barring a catastrophe.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have no issues cheering for and hoping for our players to obtain individual success in addition to the team's success.
It's complicated. I was really frustrated last year when Tua didn't win. Murray was just doing what Oklahoma quarterbacks do (I wonder how many people remember him getting owned in the SEC, Alabama actually kicked his butt twice), while Tua was out there shattering Alabama records.

The flip side of this though is that what is probably best for the team is if the offense was a bit more balanced and if Tua wasn't trying to do as much. So, individual accomplishments are nice and all, but AJ didn't win a Heisman, he just won more national championships than any Oklahoma quarterback in how many years?

I'd like Tua to win the Heisman, but there are two paths here. One is Alabama wins, Tua is the leading Heisman candidate, Alabama has to play Georgia, Tua has to go to all those trophy presentations and what not, all that distraction. The other is that Alabama loses, may be Tua fades from the spotlight a bit (unlikely), Alabama doesn't have to play Georgia, Tua doesn't have all those distractions and if under those circumstances Alabama still makes it into the playoff, they're better for it.

If I could choose door #2 and know Alabama still makes it to the playoff I'd choose it. But... as things stand now I'll certainly take door #1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.