Social Media

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
i would place bets that most of the folks doing that are not actually leaving for more than a token amount of time.
My current job (that I love) has a strict social media rule. No facebook, twitter, etc. during work hours. I like it personally, but it does mean I cannot go on Tidefans and post while at work. I doubt anyone here has even noticed I no longer post during work hours except on Friday when I have a half day. I did ask a hypothetical question. If I were to bring my lunch could I sit at my desk, eat my lunch and possibly look at and post on a certain sports message board. The boss says it is fine, but he wanted the IT guy to make sure it will not put anything on the computer that might infect it. and he said I could always look at said message board on my phone.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
i would place bets that most of the folks doing that are not actually leaving for more than a token amount of time.
One of the TV stations posted a story about the Trump balloon before it was attacked. Someone said the station was disrespecting the president and that she was going to unfollow them.

Setting aside the fact the station wasn’t taking a position about the balloon, I doubt she unfollowed them. I see those threats all the time if a station carries an anti-Trump story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
One of the TV stations posted a story about the Trump balloon before it was attacked. Someone said the station was disrespecting the president and that she was going to unfollow them.

Setting aside the fact the station wasn’t taking a position about the balloon, I doubt she unfollowed them. I see those threats all the time if a station carries an anti-Trump story.

God forbid the news station reports on events objectively.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Here is the home page of a Facebook group someone shared the other day. Two things I found hilarious.

1. They claim Facebook is censoring pro-Trump pages, yet here they are.

2. They oppose being censored, but they ban anyone who isn’t fully aboard the Trump Train.

Speaking of trains, I saw a thread the other day where some Trumpie posted a gif of Bluto (from Popeye cartoons) driving a train. I guess that is fitting, since Bluto was a bully that forced himself on women, just like Trump.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I do like messenger but despise FB. The former has been a great tool to communicate with people. Use it to talk to people on mission points around the world. I know you can have messenger without FB. But, at this point, that would be a huge hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Neither Mrs. Basket Case nor I have ever had a social media account (unless you count TF as one).

No Facebook. No Pinterest. No Instagram. No Snapchat. No Twitter. No nothing. Never had any of them, never will.

Still, we occasionally get comments that our pictures showed up on the Facebook page of someone we don't know. It's that facial recognition thing. Somebody we do know takes a group picture and posts it on their page. Somebody else we also know does the same. A third person who we don't know, but who is Facebook friends with both of the ones we do, gets a notice that "two of your friends posted pictures of these guys....you might be interested.

Now it's out there, and with the "status" attached to how many Facebook friends you have, our pictures end up in places we'd never imagine.

All that despite not only not having a Facebook account, but never having had one. Scary.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Why do people who leave facebook or twitter feel the need to post that they are leaving? Why not just never post again?
I did years ago to let anyone know to just call me or come over. I'm not sure my Facebook got deleted, but it's never been used by myself again.

….
A lot has happened on Facebook since you last logged in...….:smile:

I think facebook is still after me:rolleye2:

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
First, I love the lady behind who is on her phone almost the whole time, probably using these very platforms being grilled.

I am generally against internet regulations and I support net neutrality. With that said, these platforms are a cancer on the world and I hope the government obliterates them. How can tat be done without ruining the rest of the internet, I don't know. Maybe we will just have to live in a world where the net is heavily regulated because humans can't be trusted to use it honestly.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love social media - but I had to figure out many years ago how to train the algorithm to show me what I want to see rather than what frustrates me as it's an incredible tool for my business. It's pretty simple if you have a bit of discipline. My FB, insta, and twitter feeds are full of stuff I like and I see almost nothing I'm uninterested in.

Admittedly, few have the knowledge or self-discipline to make the algos work for them rather than against them, but it can be done and when you get it right, SM can be great.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I think I disagree with you @crimsonaudio. I think the algorithm is the problem. We all see stuff we are interested in, that's the whole point. For people who believe in misinformation, it is constantly shoveling them more and more misinformation, because that is what they like. For kids interested in drugs, sex, etc., it constantly shovels them that crap none stop. It's a horrible echo chamber that re-enforces bad habits and bad beliefs, because that is what keeps people engaged and makes the $$$$$$$.

The last time FB was useful to me was before the algorithms took over and I only saw posts from my friends and family, back before businesses and news organizations were allowed on the platform.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We're saying the same thing, @CrimsonNagus - if you look for crap, you'll get lots of crap., but if you look for healthy stuff, you'll get lots of healthy stuff.

It's all about the self-discipline to look for healthy stuff. Most people lack this - just look at how most people treat their bodies...

Reactions: Bazza

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I love social media - but I had to figure out many years ago how to train the algorithm to show me what I want to see rather than what frustrates me as it's an incredible tool for my business. It's pretty simple if you have a bit of discipline. My FB, insta, and twitter feeds are full of stuff I like and I see almost nothing I'm uninterested in.

Admittedly, few have the knowledge or self-discipline to make the algos work for them rather than against them, but it can be done and when you get it right, SM can be great.
typing "self-discipline" and "sm" in your post may mess up your algorithms, just sayin'

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I use this program to suppress ads and also to keep my feed on "most recent," instead of the "Top Posts," which FB loves...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't generally use FB anymore but I logged in the other day and was flooded with weird AI sand sculptures of Jesus. I'm talking 10+ of them in the first 25 or so posts on my feed.

I am very much an atheist so idk what the heck FB is doing 😂

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
A teacher in the U.S. had her students turn their phones on loud, and every time they received a notification they went up and put a tally mark under the correct category. This was one class, one period. Every one of these tally marks is an interruption in a students education.

Cell phones can be toxic to a learning environment.

Cell phones.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: CrimsonJazz

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.