30th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall 9 NOV 1989.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Brief History of the Berlin Wall
One of the greatest moments in United States history. One of the most important moments in the 20th century.
Liberating millions of people imprisoned by the Communists for decades, and soon consigning communism to the dustbin of history. Good riddance scumbags.
I wish young Americans were more aware of how hard that was and the extent to which Americans were unambiguously the good guys in that fight.

On a related note, Great Escapes: Five amazing but true stories of escape over, under, or directly through the Iron Curtain, by Michael Scollon, November 2019

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
There's a section of the wall at the Reagan Library - photo I took of it in 2003:

To the right you can see the burned hillside from the fire storms that year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Of all things, we had a German exchange student that year and he had to watch it on the TV in our living room. He thought that it meant a new golden age for Germany. I explained that the hard time had just started, that East Germany was far, far behind the west. He didn't believe me. The first thing he did when he returned home was to go and tour through the former East Germany. The next year, he returned to the States on his own with a friend. He had always wanted to make it to California and the west coast. They stopped through HSV for a visit and he made a point of telling me that I had been right and that the west German people had been sold a bill of goods. I'm not sure that the east will ever catch up in our lifetimes...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.