Bama Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. LSU...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Essentially you have to have these hybrid LBs on the inside that can drop back in coverage and be physical enough to play the run. It's tough tough to find them. We had an elite one and he's out. We are playing more true freshmen than any team in America and the best some posters can offer is "The defense suck!" Well, as constructive as those comments are, at least describe why because this was a team loss that included coaches and players alike.
I am still amazed that we had Shane Lee lined way out at the sideline matched up on a receiver... and more than once. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Didn't think of this, but you're right. We have spent most of the season throwing short passes that went a long way. LSU was playing up tighter to take that away. We probably should have gone downtown from the start.
I am thinking we weren't going to go downtown so Tua could get the ball out quick to keep from getting hit so often. We were just a little slow to change the game plan.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The reason the NFL drafts Bama players is because they are good athletes that are ready to play complex NFL schemes. The reason good athletes go to Alabama is that they want to go to the NFL.

Students go to college to get recruited by the professional companies. Why dumb down the curriculum? They may get good grades, but they won't be prepared to be a professional.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I feel like I remember you being a teacher/coach. Well said about dumbing things down.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Well, the sun still came up today. :biggrin2:
As always, I enjoyed hashing out our team's issues with all of you. Let's hope we can iron out some wrinkles and come back with a strong finish.
Roll Tide and have a great Sunday.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Ponder this concerning our recent defensive efforts:
"Alabama has given up 450 yards or more 15 times under Saban. Six of those games have come since last December. Burrow, too, was just the latest QB to torch the Tide. The quarterbacks of the past five ranked opponents to face Alabama have combined for 63% completions, nearly 2,000 yards, 15 total touchdowns and no interceptions. All five have topped 300 total yards of offense. To see Clyde Edwards-Helaire rack up 180 yards and four touchdowns is mind-boggling against an Alabama defense."

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The problem is that we can't get other teams to agree to play the old style offense so we can continue to play the old style defense. So, we have to design a defense against the "new" style offense. There's not really an option, unless we want teams rolling up 700 yards of passing offense on us, while we have 250 yards of rushing offense. Saban took the only choice he had. As far as "cleaning house," we've already done that, when we get down to true freshman. Who next? There are upperclassmen who've been passed by the youngsters. They're no playing because they're worse...
Very much this. ^^^^^

Why were we starting true freshmen LB’s? Where are the guys in between Dylan and Josh? We saw clearly why Benton and Davis haven’t been out there. Couple that with recruiting misses and some transfers, you see why.

Trevon Diggs is a good athlete but isn’t physical enough. His tackling is “hold on and wait for help”. And we’ve seen more busts in our secondary this one season than we’ve seen in previous five.

Forget about us pressuring with four on the front. Burrow had time to read War and Peace back there yesterday. And when he scrambled, he torched us with 4.7 speed.

The game is a “space” game now. You need to be able to consistently pressure with four, cover with seven, run to ball and when you hit them, get them on the ground.
We haven’t done that.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
We have to make it to the playoffs, so that we can pay LSU back this year. Next year is toooooo long to wait!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
We got torched because :

1. Young defense and a lot of mental mistakes.
2. Lack of a pass rush. Nothing we didn't know about from the first of the year.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
For the next 3 games we need to take no prisoners. We need to beat our last 3 opponents as badly as we can. Do not take the foot off the gas. Have to give the committee something to think about. Lots of football to play and hopefully some more losses for other teams. We can make it to the playoffs but we need to do our part. RTR

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don’t care if we run stuff that makes them less ready to go to the pros if it wins championships. I wish them all the best but I’m a fan of the team not their careers. There is mutualism to be had in that regard but you know...
1. Our other championships came with those schemes.

2. If they don't understand you teach them.

3. If we stop the promise of preparation, then those athletes go somewhere else.

4. It's not the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmys and Joes!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
1. Our other championships came with those schemes.

2. If they don't understand you teach them.

3. If we stop the promise of preparation, then those athletes go somewhere else.

4. It's not the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmys and Joes!

If you think fball hasn’t changed in a fundamental way then why are Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray starting in NFL teams? They wouldn’t have gotten a sniff just a few years ago. To me that shows me just how much times have changed. We got a taste against Clemson and almost lost the one time we won against DW and company. Even then they had to outscore them in a shootout. You could see how the schemes were wearing even good defenses out. You also have to have depth for the DL and due to injuries that’s out. The coaches were counting on Mack and Deionte coming back but they didn’t. You have to adapt and overcome but sometimes it is just too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If you think fball hasn’t changed in a fundamental way then why are Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray starting in NFL teams? They wouldn’t have gotten a sniff just a few years ago. To me that shows me just how much times have changed. We got a taste against Clemson and almost lost the one time we won against DW and company. Even then they had to outscore them in a shootout. You could see how the schemes were wearing even good defenses out. You also have to have depth for the DL and due to injuries that’s out. The coaches were counting on Mack and Deionte coming back but they didn’t. You have to adapt and overcome but sometimes it is just too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's still about understanding and the ability of the player to execute those schemes. It's about you (the player) doing your job and having self-discipline. Whether, you run a complicated Wishbone offense, or a Tampa two ...... the player has to have the ability and knowledge. As a team, you have to have a Coach that teaches and a facility that develops.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, it’s too bad we haven’t won any championships with this complex defensive scheme. It’s been ages since our last one back in 2017. /bluefont

Man, and I thought I overreacted after the Braves LDS loss.
I’m arguing that we’d probably won more without it. Especially over the last half decade where injuries and draft attrition has really hurt the knowledge mix across the defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.