Bama Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. LSU...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think that explains why AU had more success than we did.
I think it had anything to do with a "simplified" defense (although Gus is very HS!). They have an excellent DL and pressured Burrow from both ends and the middle. Something we failed to do.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Agility, athleticism and natural ability seem to be more emphasized over brute strength these days. May as well gripe about the weather because that's the way it is. :)

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
For the next 3 games we need to take no prisoners. We need to beat our last 3 opponents as badly as we can. Do not take the foot off the gas. Have to give the committee something to think about. Lots of football to play and hopefully some more losses for other teams. We can make it to the playoffs but we need to do our part. RTR
Agreed. We need to finish strong. I think it will ultimately come down to the committee deciding between Bama and Oregon. The problem is that Oregon will have a conference championship. That may be the tie-breaker even though I think most people would say Bama is the better team.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I’m arguing that we’d probably won more without it. Especially over the last half decade where injuries and draft attrition has really hurt the knowledge mix across the defense.
But most offenses that we faced were a lot different and we only really had to prepare for someone like Johnny Football once a year. Now we play them every other week.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Agreed. We need to finish strong. I think it will ultimately come down to the committee deciding between Bama and Oregon. The problem is that Oregon will have a conference championship. That may be the tie-breaker even though I think most people would say Bama is the better team.
Auburn will be the measuring stick for that scenario.

I have a feeling Bama fatigue will finally set in fully and we will see the first CFP not featuring a Bama team. Which is fine, I think this season sets up future classes to learn some of the same lessons our previous championship classes had to learn as well.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
what bothers me the most is that the team supposedly most focused thr out week played bad football with fumbles and what not and the team which talked all crap pregame managed to play disciplined.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I sincerely hope that a path develops that gets us in the playoffs, but the committee is probably sitting back going, hey, we can get a great Sugar Bowl with BAMA and Oklahoma.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I sincerely hope that a path develops that gets us in the playoffs, but the committee is probably sitting back going, hey, we can get a great Sugar Bowl with BAMA and Oklahoma.
If that happens, we might lose another bow game to OK due to lack of motivation on our part and OK being super hyped with Jalen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Ponder this concerning our recent defensive efforts:
"Alabama has given up 450 yards or more 15 times under Saban. Six of those games have come since last December. Burrow, too, was just the latest QB to torch the Tide. The quarterbacks of the past five ranked opponents to face Alabama have combined for 63% completions, nearly 2,000 yards, 15 total touchdowns and no interceptions. All five have topped 300 total yards of offense. To see Clyde Edwards-Helaire rack up 180 yards and four touchdowns is mind-boggling against an Alabama defense."
The thing that concerned me the most was that Edwards-Helaire had two TD's from running through attempted tackles. That's not Bama football.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The thing that concerned me the most was that Edwards-Helaire had two TD's from running through attempted tackles. That's not Bama football.
We do not tackle to the ground in practice. We use the "thud" method, to minimize practice injuries. #22 is 5'8" and listed at 210 (looked it up last night, for obvious reasons). On a taller back, I can see that's not being a drawback. However, in a game with a midget back with some power, I think it comes back to bite. "Thuds" didn't get him down and the wrapup tackling technique is no longer instinctive...

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
We do not tackle to the ground in practice. We use the "thud" method, to minimize practice injuries. #22 is 5'8" and listed at 210 (looked it up last night, for obvious reasons). On a taller back, I can see that's not being a drawback. However, in a game with a midget back with some power, I think it comes back to bite. "Thuds" didn't get him down and the wrapup tackling technique is no longer instinctive...
That may explain why the defense hasn't tackled like it once did. I was also concerned to see a starting defensive back trying to strip the ball from Edwards-Helaire inside the 5-yard line instead of focusing on making a tackle.

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
That game hurt on multiple levels (it was my birthday). I will hand it to LSU. I thought not only were we going to win but win big. LSU and Burrow in particular looked excellent, but at halftime I thought to myself that perhaps in the second half I would see the biggest comeback win in Bama history. It almost came to pass, so I am proud of their grit. However, as has been pointed out about 500 times in this thread, it is tough to watch this defense, the bad tackling in particular. I won't hold my breath that we'll make it into the playoffs, but I do think it's possible. LSU I cannot see losing out. They and Ohio State are the only two that I'd predict will make it for sure, but who knows if OSU will beat Penn State and Michigan. Make it or not, I hope we can beat Auburn. They were out in force on social media last night, as could have been easily predicted. [ETA: What was I thinking? Clemson of course will get in with their remaining schedule]

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've been thud tackling in practice the entire time Saban has been here (by my understanding). That is not a new revelation in player safety that correlates to our abysmal tackling over the past two years.

The guys we've got right now just don't tackle as well as the guys before them. I don't know if it is coaching, inexperience, lack of love for contact from the players, recruiting misses coming to roost on the football field, or a combination thereof. At any rate, you can't be this bad on defense and win championships. Saban takes more ownership on that side of the ball than any other, so more than any other problem facing the team, he must find the answers or watch this dynasty of his slowly dissolve away.

LSU's players were trying to make an appeal to our recruitment visitors after the game yesterday. People are smelling the blood in the water after these last two big game showings. Are we going to be an alpha and reclaim our territory or just keep on losing the same way? The game has changed and it has changed in way to almost specifically combat bluebloods. There are teams out there defending the spread better than us with less talent. It's gotta change folks. The only way we ever have a chance against quality offensive units anymore is if we have veteran laden defenses and the offense plays nearly perfect. We got smoked by Clemson in 2016 with arguably the most talented defense we've ever had even with two starters out for the season by that point. Think about that folks.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
All we can do at this point is focus on what we can control which is our last three games. And we need to curb stomp each of them and hope for some help from others along the way.

Which brings up the big question: What will this team do from here? Do they keep fighting, especially the defense? My gut says yes, but with 18-22 year olds, who knows?

This is where coaches and coordinators earn their pay.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yup, we've got to salt the earth in Starkville and Auburn to get the 4th spot. Uninspiring wins or losses (obviously) end the vector for getting in.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Yup, we've got to salt the earth in Starkville and Auburn to get the 4th spot. Uninspiring wins or losses (obviously) end the vector for getting in.
With LSU only beating Auburn by 3. I think Beaton f Auburn by 30+ points would definitely be a statement. I just wonder if Saban would keep the pedal planted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
With LSU only beating Auburn by 3. I think Beaton f Auburn by 30+ points would definitely be a statement. I just wonder if Saban would keep the pedal planted

And LSU only beat Auburn by 3 at home, whereas I hope we beat Auburn by 3 TD's at their place. I hope Saban does keep it going strong.. I read an article that Clemson tried to get more points last night at the last minute instead of taking a knee. Dabo knows he has to win each game by as much as possible. At this point, so does BAMA. RTR!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Frankly, I'm worried about just beating Auburn at this juncture. Our defense is really bad and I could see it being a long day where Auburn puts some hits on Tua and we struggle to get them off the field.

But if we want to play in the playoffs, we've got to nuke them in their place.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.