Time to think about next season?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I honestly don't think that's it so much as Alabama lost their way a bit.

I posted this several times but kind of gave up on posting it. Alabama's previous Saban championships were almost all on the back of a dominant running back and a game managing quarterback. Now, that doesn't mean you can't compliment it with an elite QB, that's not it. But you have to be able to reign him in. It's one thing when you're down big, then you have to take risks, but against a Clemson, LSU, or Georgia (easy to forget but Tua would have lost that game last year to) you can't be making costly turnovers and forcing the ball. Alabama put the team in the hands of the QB and he played amazingly most of the time.

The problem is most of the time isn't good enough to win championships. Alabama didn't need to turn their team into Oklahoma to take advantage of Tua's abilities, or any other elite QB. You still want a dynamic passing attack, but you need to get back to fundamentals, not just waiting for the QB to make a play. If Alabama does that they should be fine.
Like playing smart with 30 sec left in the half. Without Tua, we run the ball and left the clock run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You’re going to get roasted for that but you’re pretty accurate. Saban has the most NFL talent this year just like last year but got smoked against simiar teams.
Not true, after injuries in crucial areas. Not even close to the truth. It doesn't matter if TFs will one day be NFL players. They aren't this season. I can understand some Eyeore after a loss, but it's gotten ridiculous around here...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think Jess touched on this in his game wrap up when he posed the question is it the players or the system that was the but culprit behind the loss to LSU. I don't profess to be Jess or any expert, but to my eye the system is where this team came off the tracks. I have said in various threads that this team was entirely too dependent on Tua to bail it out. I have no argument about his abilities and his greatness as a QB, but to win a NC a team has to have more than a generational QB.

I will get blasted for saying this, but I look forward to him moving on to the NFL. I would prefer a QB like Burrow, maybe Mack Jones has that capability, unfortunately we won't know to next year. I loved it when we lined up in the I formation with a blocker in front of Najee on the goal line. From that formation the RB is moving toward the LOS, int he Pistol he is stationary when he is handed the ball and then has to accelerate. If I were a RB I would prefer the former.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Not true, after injuries in crucial areas. Not even close to the truth. It doesn't matter if TFs will one day be NFL players. They aren't this season. I can understand some Eyeore after a loss, but it's gotten ridiculous around here...
Alabama will likely have the most NFL draftees *this year*. I’m not talking about how good Harris and Lee and others will be. I’m saying that right now, this team has more NFL eligible talent now than any other team. If not (drafts can be fickle things) then it’s close. The defense has 5-6 starters *right now* that will be drafted in the NFL next March. That’s talent.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You’re going to get roasted for that but you’re pretty accurate..
Dude you are beyond ridiculous with your Eeyore "expert" takes after losses. Saban and Richt shouldn't even be in the same sentence about comparing elite coaches.

Saban has the most NFL talent this year just like last year but got smoked against simiar teams.
Just because Alabama has had two years of bad defenses, it doesn't make it a trend to what we should expect. Hell, Kirby had average defenses from 2013 and 2014, did it stop us from winning championships a few years later? No. Its growing pains.

I honestly don't know if you believe half of what you post, or if you are just trying to get a rise out us. Because it has become a tradition of reading an over the top post the next day after a loss from you.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Like playing smart with 30 sec left in the half. Without Tua, we run the ball and left the clock run out.
It's how much of a risk you take. Throwing the ball down the middle of the field is always going to be fairly dangerous, even a well throw ball can get tipped and intercepted. Not just that, but if you are driving you want to work the sidelines to manage the clock. Honestly, I don't think Saban liked that choice one tiny bit and I'm not sure if you put that on the feet of the QB, or the OC but if you are going to try to throw anywhere near the middle of the field in that situation it needs to be a bomb, so it is at least as good as a punt.

To me that's just all about reigning a guy in. And really, this isn't a sky is falling scenario in my mind. More so, I see it as a chance for even this present Alabama team to look at themselves in the mirror and realize that the solution to beating the best teams isn't necessarily to try to get it at all at once, or about trying to win via the play of one player. The QB turned it over twice against Georgia, twice against Clemson, twice against LSU. Pretty much all those turnovers came as a result of trying to do too much.

I hope it's not too late for the lesson to be learned this season, but if it is I really, really hope that lesson is learned going forward. The best teams can create their own opportunities without you helping them by giving them more. It's ok to throw for less yards and throw for less TDs, if that also means you give the other team less as well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You’re going to get roasted for that but you’re pretty accurate. Saban has the most NFL talent this year just like last year but got smoked against simiar teams.
If you need a hug, we'll find a way to get it done.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If you need a hug, we'll find a way to get it done.
I suppose this is as good a place as any to discuss this, what are your thoughts on how Ohio States is using Fields vs. some of the more wide open passing offenses out there? I personally like how he's being used, but would you be happier if he was passing more or do you prefer the more balanced approach?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Alabama will likely have the most NFL draftees *this year*. I’m not talking about how good Harris and Lee and others will be. I’m saying that right now, this team has more NFL eligible talent now than any other team. If not (drafts can be fickle things) then it’s close. The defense has 5-6 starters *right now* that will be drafted in the NFL next March. That’s talent.
And to repeat again, slowly, we don't have those players where we need them, mostly in the LB corps. I just saw Rashaan Evans scoop a fumble and outrun the whole damned Chief team to the EZ for a score. We don't have a LB even vaguely resembling him or any other of the outstanding ILB/play callers we've had in the past. Your "overall" comparison is bogus. It's just irrelevant. It's sometimes painful watching our LBs, and there's not a damned thing Saban can do about it - and it doesn't make him a "Richt," for god's sake...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I suppose this is as good a place as any to discuss this, what are your thoughts on how Ohio States is using Fields vs. some of the more wide open passing offenses out there? I personally like how he's being used, but would you be happier if he was passing more or do you prefer the more balanced approach?
Fields is not Tua. He is more like Burrow. The offense is designed around that. And Dobbins is a beast. But, again, we have no depth, so we have to hope that everyone stays healthy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And to repeat again, slowly, we don't have those players where we need them, mostly in the LB corps. I just saw Rashaan Evans scoop a fumble and outrun the whole damned Chief team to the EZ for a score. We don't have a LB even vaguely resembling him or any other of the outstanding ILB/play callers we've had in the past. Your "overall" comparison is bogus. It's just irrelevant. It's sometimes painful watching our LBs, and there's not a damned thing Saban can do about it - and it doesn't make him a "Richt," for god's sake...
Evans was the key player in the middle of the field in 2017. We all assumed that Mack and Dylon would fill his shoes when he moved on, but neither came close last year and you just don't have anyone ready this year.

But I think that ILB will be a strength position next year. Or it can be, but you need to find someone else to coach them. Golding is not a good ILB coach (IMO).

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Fields is not Tua. He is more like Burrow. The offense is designed around that. And Dobbins is a beast. But, again, we have no depth, so we have to hope that everyone stays healthy.
Yeah I think we'd both agree talent wise that Tua can do more, but Fields could to. I mean you're beating the snot out of some teams, not like he can't throw it a few more times.

Personally I just like Ohio State's approach in general. You're controlling time of possession, your offense is balanced, it takes pressure off the defense, and you're not taking big risks either. As of right now, I think Ohio State is playing the best football of any team out there.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
This season isn't lost yet. LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson will be ranked ahead of us, but who else? Bama is #4 in both the AP and Coaches polls. As long as Bama can regroup and beat Auburn, we have a really good shot of making the playoff.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah I think we'd both agree talent wise that Tua can do more, but Fields could to. I mean you're beating the snot out of some teams, not like he can't throw it a few more times.

Personally I just like Ohio State's approach in general. You're controlling time of possession, your offense is balanced, it takes pressure off the defense, and you're not taking big risks either. As of right now, I think Ohio State is playing the best football of any team out there.
I like what Day is doing. And our defensive line coach (Johnson) is the best in the game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
No one thought Q would have one year starting and be gone.
Then we lost Dylan and McKinnon
We lost Anoma and Alfano to emotional stress - immaturity
Then Ray....
Plus TL and Allen both coming off injuries

That’s a lot for a defense to handle. Plus 5 freshmen starting on D?

We got beat. It sucks. But the season is no where near over. Hoping UGA loses to Auburn. And then smacks LSU. But hell LSU could get upended by A&M

OU is on a roller coaster. And tOSU and Clemson are shoe in’s

We will backdoor into this once more. Watch. It will happen.

And watch out when we do. Crow will he served rare to quite a few folks on here.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Evans was the key player in the middle of the field in 2017. We all assumed that Mack and Dylon would fill his shoes when he moved on, but neither came close last year and you just don't have anyone ready this year.

But I think that ILB will be a strength position next year. Or it can be, but you need to find someone else to coach them. Golding is not a good ILB coach (IMO).
I just don't know about Golding yet. We don't know what Dylan will decide to do. Lee and Harris just have limitations. We lost to a very good team (whatever we may think of their fans - and their coach, who dropped several levels IMO, with his post game blustering) and a team with very good coordinators. I hope you're right...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just don't know about Golding yet. We don't know what Dylan will decide to do. Lee and Harris just have limitations. We lost to a very good team (whatever we may think of their fans - and their coach, who dropped several levels IMO, with his post game blustering) and a team with very good coordinators. I hope you're right...
I think that Benton and Kaho are getting better and better, and Harris is a freak. Lee is very limited. He should not have been forced into action so soon. I think that it has hurt his development. If Dylon comes back next year, ILB will be very solid, and deep.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We got beat. It sucks. But the season is no where near over. Hoping UGA loses to Auburn. And then smacks LSU. But hell LSU could get upended by A&M
We don't want UGA to beat LSU . The only way LSU losing benefits us is if they lose 2 of the next 3. Right now LSU and Auburn are our best friends, and UGA is probably our biggest enemy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think that Benton and Kaho are getting better and better, and Harris is a freak. Lee is very limited. He should not have been forced into action so soon. I think that it has hurt his development. If Dylon comes back next year, ILB will be very solid, and deep.
I agree and hope he does come back...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.