Time to think about next season?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Holy cow we've got people comparing Coach Saban to Richt?

Look we've won 5 NCs with Coach Saban. However he finishes out his career, nothing changes that. That's all time level great and to compare him to anyone other than Coach Bryant is pure lunacy.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We don't want UGA to beat LSU . The only way LSU losing benefits us is if they lose 2 of the next 3. Right now LSU and Auburn are our best friends, and UGA is probably our biggest enemy.
If Auburn beats UGA, UGA doesn’t get in with 2 losses.
So if they beat LSU, it doesn’t hurt us. So you are wrong there.
Especially if we skunk Auburn.

And then it’s more likely to set up LSU at 3 and Bama at 4. Both with one loss over an UGA with two losses. Championship or not. You don’t make the playoffs with a loss to USCe

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
Holy cow we've got people comparing Coach Saban to Richt?

Look we've won 5 NCs with Coach Saban. However he finishes out his career, nothing changes that. That's all time level great and to compare him to anyone other than Coach Bryant is pure lunacy.
I knew I would trigger some people with my post but at least understand it. I was in no way saying Saban was equal to Richt just that he was "going through" what Richt was when he was in Georgia. Saban is the best but he gets outcoached sometimes. I dont mind taking a beating

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

And then it’s more likely to set up LSU at 3 and Bama at 4. Both with one loss over an UGA with two losses. Championship or not. You don’t make the playoffs with a loss to USCe
You want your loss to be to a team very highly regarded by the committee. Anything that weakens them, weakens your case.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I knew I would trigger some people with my post but at least understand it. I was in no way saying Saban was equal to Richt just that he was "going through" what Richt was when he was in Georgia. Saban is the best but he gets outcoached sometimes. I dont mind taking a beating
So you really believe that he got outcoached yesterday?

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama

I really doubt both Bama and Lsu get in with neither one winning their conference. One might and that would be Lsu since they beat Bama. At this point, Lsu needs to win out unless you think they lose 2 of the next 3 which I doubt.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
And to repeat again, slowly, we don't have those players where we need them, mostly in the LB corps. I just saw Rashaan Evans scoop a fumble and outrun the whole damned Chief team to the EZ for a score. We don't have a LB even vaguely resembling him or any other of the outstanding ILB/play callers we've had in the past. Your "overall" comparison is bogus. It's just irrelevant. It's sometimes painful watching our LBs, and there's not a damned thing Saban can do about it - and it doesn't make him a "Richt," for god's sake...
ILB isn’t the entire reason this defense has struggled. There are 9 other guys on the field. Of course, you’ll never admit that you’re wrong about that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The problem is this, UGA is like Alabama in which they are only great when they have something to play for. They are rarely good at playing spoiler. Point is if UGA losing to Auburn and they likely phone it in.

A one loss UGA champ effectively ends all debate unless you really really think Ole Miss, Arkansas, and aTm are realistically capable of beating LSU.

Our problem is that our best 3 games are USM, aTm, and LSU. We desperately need Auburn to beat UGA to feel any good feeling about things. But then again maybe beating them down there maybe is enough to convince the committee that we are better and more deserving than Oregon.

What I feel is going to happen is UGA will win out and lock LSU in the top 4 and we get to play in the Sugar Bowl vs Jalen and have to watch the Bucks, Dabo, Cookie Monster, or smartass lift the trophy in agony. To that nightmare I say roll bucks roll.

Not giving up but I think we are very reliant on Auburn right now. I think the Big 10 alternate and Oklahoma are out.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You want your loss to be to a team very highly regarded by the committee. Anything that weakens them, weakens your case.
Actually I’m pulling for A&M to blast LSU and then have LSU lose to UGA because that takes them out completely. That won’t hurt us. All the other one loss teams have worse losses regardless of how LSU finishes. OU does, UGA does, Oregon does.

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
Versus top 4 opponents yes. The articles by Jessn says it all. His D vs good teams and below is great but vs Top 4 teams it has no answer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Versus top 4 opponents yes. The articles by Jessn says it all. His D vs good teams and below is great but vs Top 4 teams it has no answer.
In 2017 you played some great teams, several in the top 4, and your defense was amazing. You are wrong. So is Jess.

herri026

2nd Team
Apr 17, 2008
Birmingham
In 2017 you played some great teams, several in the top 4, and your defense was amazing. You are wrong. So is Jess.
We’ve absolutely been lit up consistently by elite teams in the last 2-3 years. We’ve won a lot of those games still, but it’s been a few years since we’ve been elite defensively against elite competition.

Tua is doubtless an elite talent, but I personally thought it was foolish to come out and ask him to do so much so early post injury. I don’t want to regress to our style from 10 years ago, but I firmly believed we’d come into this game and establish Najee (who was great all night btw) and wait for Tua to pick his spots.

Bottom line—you can’t buttfumble and give a pick back to them bc of a substitution infraction that didn’t impact the play in any way. I was glad to see Tua compete/fight through pain the way he did because I honestly felt like he was a frontrunner before last night.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
tOSU will win the B1G and be undefeated. Clemson, what is there to discuss, they are in. I cannot see LSU losing at Ole Miss or to TAMU and Arkansas in Baton Rouge. It will likely be LSU vs UGA in the SECC game, I like LSU to win. That knocks out UGA with two losses. If we win out we have an outside chance, although a one loss PAC 12 or a one loss Big XII champ could keep us out. I personally do not think we make the playoffs even with a loss to LSU because of our SOS.

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
Just to point out in Clemsons games before us last year not in order Duke, ND, Boston College all held Clemson right at 30 points. Clemson passed all over us for 44. Our D's secondary was better than at least Duke maybe BC. This year MS state held LSU to 36 and Aub held them to 23 then we should be able to hold them below 30. It seems justified to question if Saban should revamp the D like he did the offense. If everyone wants to stay the same and not change anything and believe we have the greatest D of all time and it cant get better, well that doesn't seem like Saban's philosophy.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
tOSU will win the B1G and be undefeated. Clemson, what is there to discuss, they are in. I cannot see LSU losing at Ole Miss or to TAMU and Arkansas in Baton Rouge. It will likely be LSU vs UGA in the SECC game, I like LSU to win. That knocks out UGA with two losses. If we win out we have an outside chance, although a one loss PAC 12 or a one loss Big XII champ could keep us out. I personally do not think we make the playoffs even with a loss to LSU because of our SOS.
I definitely agree with this scenario. If it plays out like this I could definitely see the Sooners getting in over us not sure about the Ducks it would be a toss up on that one.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For all of yall worried about the Sooners... They were behind the PAC 12 teams and their best potential win will be to a team that the committee doesnt seem to like, and they will probably have to do it twice.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
For all of yall worried about the Sooners... They were behind the PAC 12 teams and their best potential win will be to a team that the committee doesnt seem to like, and they will probably have to do it twice.
I only watched about 10 minutes of that game last night (I was still upset we lost our game), and I was hoping OU would lose. They very easily could have. Whatever scenario works to get BAMA in the 4th spot, I am all for it.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
No. The time to think about next season is February. Can you really see CNS shutting it down and not coaching these guys because they fell slightly short after being down 20? No.

I even saw on Twitter a "fan?" claiming he was "calm as a cumber" saying he's ready to move on from the Saban era. For CRYING OUT LOUD!!! Someone like that should turn in their fan card and tune in to the Halmark Channel on Saturdays. JEEZ!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Just to point out in Clemsons games before us last year not in order Duke, ND, Boston College all held Clemson right at 30 points. Clemson passed all over us for 44. Our D's secondary was better than at least Duke maybe BC. This year MS state held LSU to 36 and Aub held them to 23 then we should be able to hold them below 30. It seems justified to question if Saban should revamp the D like he did the offense. If everyone wants to stay the same and not change anything and believe we have the greatest D of all time and it cant get better, well that doesn't seem like Saban's philosophy.
I won't say we are without problems, but I will point out that fact that these teams don't put out the same effort in every game. One thing you can absolutely bank on is that they will be primed and ready to play us. Clemson and LSU both had a ton to prove against us. They were out for blood. They played with a seething hot rage that we simply could not match. It's human nature.

If anything that's the one thing about the Saban method I wish was possible to adjust. The ability to match the opponent's emotional intensity. But it's completely against what he preaches, and thus simply not possible. All in all, I'll take what it's produced over the years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am just not sure how you guys have come to the conclusion that the problem is Saban's defense. Saban does not have a single defense. He has a defense that is capable of stopping NFL offenses, because it is used by more than half of the teams in the NFL. And they have better offenses than you will ever see in college.

The difference is in the players, some of whom are capable of playing in a defense that complicated, and some of whom are not. Add the constant turnover in coaching and the injuries and you have what you have seen lately.

I know that you want answers, but Saban has already given them to you. You either believe in him or you don't.

Is there anyone else in the game that you would rather have at Alabama, working to solve this problem? We can swap - you take Day and OSU gets Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.