Time to think about next season?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I just wish our second half team had turned up in the first half. I'm not going to criticize any individuals. However, I am puzzled by the apparent lack of discipline throughout the team leading to multiple penalties from too many on the field, movement before the snap, etc. While players are responsible for the infringements, it is the ultimate responsibility of the coaches to enforce discipline during substitutions, etc.

Now we look to the rest of the season while we continue to celebrate Alabama football. We may miss the first playoffs ever but you never know. There is still a lot of season left. All Bama has to do is win out and may the chips fall where they lay. I seem to remember winning a Natty not having gone to the SEC Championship game.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I am just not sure how you guys have come to the conclusion that the problem is Saban's defense. Saban does not have a single defense. He has a defense that is capable of stopping NFL offenses, because it is used by more than half of the teams in the NFL. And they have better offenses than you will ever see in college.

The difference is in the players, some of whom are capable of playing in a defense that complicated, and some of whom are not. Add the constant turnover in coaching and the injuries and you have what you have seen lately.

I know that you want answers, but Saban has already given them to you. You either believe in him or you don't.

Is there anyone else in the game that you would rather have at Alabama, working to solve this problem? We can swap - you take Day and OSU gets Saban.
I'm fine with Saban………......I think the problem is known, and the turnover hasn't helped, nor has missing out on some players( whether through them just choosing someone else or dirty tactics). Saban knows what to do, and I am sure he will do it..............even if it means revamping the D. The offense is fine, and I think Sark is doing ok.....................the game is evolving, and Saban will too

They just need to get their intensity and discipline back..................and get the tackling problem in hand..........there is still a lot to play for

Last edited:

T Bone

1st Team
Wow, we are soooooooooooooooo spoiled, we might finish the year 10-2........or 11-1.......holy cow years ago we would have slit our wrists for that kind of record.. we have had an unprecedented run. if a down year is one like this. Heck i can live with it. next year we will be in the mix again. we may not be in the championship game, but we darn will help decide who is. roll tide.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
QUOTE:
2020 will not be a championship caliber team.

On offense you lose: Tua, Najee, JJ, Ruggs, Smitty, Wills, Leatherwood and maybe another one or two if they leave early (Robinson and maybe a lineman)

On defense you lose: Raekwon, Lewis, Jennings, McKinney, Diggs, Mayden, and Carter.

Next years team will be weaker on defense and much, much less potent on offense.

Do you have a crystal ball or something? If so we need to talk stock market if not, you have no clue what next season will bring. I get that your feelings are hurt about the game but the sun still rose in the east and set in the west today and we're still one of the best teams in the country.
I guess if you feel like you just have to be negative then have at it but don't presume to act like you know what tomorrow or next season holds.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Anyone who thought we could beat LSU playing our C or even B game certainly has not been watching the same LSU team I have been watching all year long!! The first half against LSU was our F game, second half A game. It has been no secret that this years Bama defense was not up to par compared to recent years, too many true freshmen forced into duty!! Even then they got enough stops to allow our offense to get us back in the game!!

The best defense that coach Saban has fielded at Bama still lost to LSU in 2011! The next best defense Saban has fielded at Bama was the 2016 defense in my opinion and it lost to Clemson in the national championship game. If we make it into the playoff this year who's to say our defense won't be much improved, at least improved enough to win it all by the time the playoffs roll around?? Clemson sure seems to get better from the regular season to the playoffs.

To many mistakes in the first half to overcome a very good team like LSU. I understand the disappointment of losing but not the defeatism going on here. Hope the team is not giving up like it seems many of the fans are. To much football left to play yet before we can even know our fate!! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
When you have 13 assistant coaches turnover in 2 years there has to be some issues in continuity and teaching. While I have been a huge fan of Pete Golding, he is going to have to step up his game in 2020. I understand that injuries, NFL departures have hurt us, but this is not the first year that has happened. Someone in this thread or another pointed out that the complexity of CNS's may actually be hurting our players performance, there may be some credence to that, but I am not sure. We supposedly have recruited the best players in the country, but still seem to have a defense that looks confused, misses tackles, takes bad angles and seems to blow coverage more than in the past. I understand that defenses are not longer going to yield 10-13 points per game, but we have a problem on the defensive side of the ball and if you don't see it then we did not watch the same game.

Last edited:

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I just one those guys always looking for the silver lining. We do have a chance to get in the playoffs. Of course it has to play out a certain way but we are not with hope. The D was not looking good yesterday but I believe we lost the game because of the first half mistakes. Tua was not hundreds percent that hurt a lot with the miss Q's he had especially on the first drive. Second half we played great on offense. Just got two far behind in the first half. I think if we have to face lsu again this year we will win. Roll Tide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When you have 13 assistant coaches turnover in 2 years there has to be some issues in continuity and teaching. While I have been a huge fan of Pete Golding, he is going to have to step up his game in 2020. I understand that injuries, NFL departures have hurt us, but this is not the first year that has happened. Someone in this thread or another pointed out that the complexity of CNS's may actually be hurting our players performance, there may be some credence to that, but I am not sure. We supposedly have recruited the best players in the country, but still seem to have a defense that looks confused, misses tackles, takes bad angles and seems to blow coverage more than in the past. I understand that defenses are not longer going to yield 10-13 points per game, but we have a problem on the defensive side of the ball and if you don't see it then we did not watch the same game.
If we can get back to having experienced, solid players on defense, I think most of our problems are solved. I think the defensive coaches are being over-blamed...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If we can get back to having experienced, solid players on defense, I think most of our problems are solved. I think the defensive coaches are being over-blamed...
Amen. I wonder about Golding, but I know that he has been forced to play high school kids before they are ready. It hurts their development.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
My negativism about Golding stems from issues starting from last year and still seeing it this week - poor tackling. I fully expect with the youngsters to be out position. This will get better. However, the tackling is atrocious and it is not just this year. That's coaching.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'm glad our boys didn't quit at halftime like it seems many posters in this thread have done on the remainder of the season. Shameful. If this is you, then I Boo you.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think one thing that's alarming people a bit is the trend that's starting to show up when Alabama plays good teams, which goes back to last year. For instance in the last three games of last season, Alabama gave up over 35 points on average. That's fairly alarming, and it doesn't help that people were suggesting Golding was actually running the defense by then. That's not a big plus on his resume.

I was disquieted by the idea of his taking over as DC, he doesn't have much of a body of work, he had no Power 5 experience at all, and one way or another he had some responsibility for the the less than stellar defensive play in the latter part of last season. Now, I can't completely unravel it because I don't know exactly who did what late last season, furthermore I can't look at Golding's previous work and know what to expect. You don't learn much about what a guy can do when he's at Tusculum College or Delta State, and he rapidly rose up the ranks from Southeastern Louisiana to Alabama with two stops in between from 2012 to 2018. So I like that Saban seems to like him, but this just isn't a situation where I can point at what he's done and go I know he can do the job.

That aside though (and obviously injuries are a huge problem, but not the only one), I do remain convinced that some of the problems are not on the defensive side at all. They are on the offensive side, which isn't really giving enough consideration to protecting the defense. That used to be a major consideration, now it usually doesn't feel like that's a concern. You keep putting the defense in a bad position and bad things will happen, even to a good defense.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
On the other hand, we could be like the Dallas Cowboys, who I watched drive down the field and have a 2nd and 1 inside the 10 yard line with a chance to win the game, but blow it by trying to force the ball to Ezekiel Elliot on 3 straight plays. All 3 absolutely predictable and Minnesota blew them all up.

I don't see how that team, with that coach, ever wins a Super Bowl.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think one thing that's alarming people a bit is the trend that's starting to show up when Alabama plays good teams, which goes back to last year. For instance in the last three games of last season, Alabama gave up over 35 points on average. That's fairly alarming, and it doesn't help that people were suggesting Golding was actually running the defense by then. That's not a big plus on his resume.

I was disquieted by the idea of his taking over as DC, he doesn't have much of a body of work, he had no Power 5 experience at all, and one way or another he had some responsibility for the the less than stellar defensive play in the latter part of last season. Now, I can't completely unravel it because I don't know exactly who did what late last season, furthermore I can't look at Golding's previous work and know what to expect. You don't learn much about what a guy can do when he's at Tusculum College or Delta State, and he rapidly rose up the ranks from Southeastern Louisiana to Alabama with two stops in between from 2012 to 2018. So I like that Saban seems to like him, but this just isn't a situation where I can point at what he's done and go I know he can do the job.

That aside though (and obviously injuries are a huge problem, but not the only one), I do remain convinced that some of the problems are not on the defensive side at all. They are on the offensive side, which isn't really giving enough consideration to protecting the defense. That used to be a major consideration, now it usually doesn't feel like that's a concern. You keep putting the defense in a bad position and bad things will happen, even to a good defense.
We won't know about Golding until he gets a defense which hasn't been gutted by injuries and departures. Even a genius would have been playing with a weak hand this year...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
We won't know about Golding until he gets a defense which hasn't been gutted by injuries and departures. Even a genius would have been playing with a weak hand this year...
Do you think the staff stays pretty much intact? I’m hoping that you are correct and this is nothing but playing too many inexperienced players. I also hope we get some experience back next year and everyone that can doesn’t bolt for the promise of money in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.