Time to think about next season?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Do you think the staff stays pretty much intact? I’m hoping that you are correct and this is nothing but playing too many inexperienced players. I also hope we get some experience back next year and everyone that can doesn’t bolt for the promise of money in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, you'd need a crystal ball, when it comes to staff, but I doubt we see the mass exodus of the last couple of years. I was not terribly surprised with what happened in the LSU game. As the season wore on, I was hoping that the youngsters would pick up enough to overcome their inexperience. Our problems were partially masked by the weakness of our early schedule. However, when you look at the yardage gained by the weaker teams we played, the signs were there...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well, you'd need a crystal ball, when it comes to staff, but I doubt we see the mass exodus of the last couple of years. I was not terribly surprised with what happened in the LSU game. As the season wore on, I was hoping that the youngsters would pick up enough to overcome their inexperience. Our problems were partially masked by the weakness of our early schedule. However, when you look at the yardage gained by the weaker teams we played, the signs were there...
Yep. I think early I was concerned with DL play and OL Play. The OL seems to have come along a bit better than the Pass Rush and DL.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I’m not thinking about next year. While our playoff chances are slim and out of our hands, there is no telling what might happen. We have to win out, but no way I think this season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
On the other hand, we could be like the Dallas Cowboys, who I watched drive down the field and have a 2nd and 1 inside the 10 yard line with a chance to win the game, but blow it by trying to force the ball to Ezekiel Elliot on 3 straight plays. All 3 absolutely predictable and Minnesota blew them all up.
One issue I have with the situation is some things might not be fixable. You can't for instance fix the injuries and get back some of those guys. You can't magically wave a wand and fix inexperience, lack of depth, etc... This obviously isn't Alabama stubbornly stick to the running game, that's for sure.

Dreadful results on offense cost the team more than anything else, and I say this in part because the offense is far too talented and skilled to go out there and perform like that in the first half. You have 5 possessions in which Alabama couldn't manage to hang onto the ball for 2 minutes, and that's not even counting the last one to end the half. In the least the offense could have chewed some clock but they didn't even manage that.

The offense scored one touchdown in the first half. The missed extra point means that amounted to just 6 points. On the flip side, Alabama's offense fumbled away 3 points in the bag, and then gave LSU another 7 points in such a way that LSU couldn't possibly have done that without help from Alabama's offense. It's one thing to say ok, there's problems and the personnel just isn't there to fix them. That's not the case with this offense. Najee ran all over LSU, once Tua settled in he threw all over LSU. It was mostly unforced errors. The offense was basically a net negative in the first half. They could have just called the RBs number on every single play, being more predictable than the Cowboys and still have done less harm (not saying they should have mind you).

You can't let lack of restraint, lack of execution, and lack of clock management put your team's back against the wall. In the first half Alabama ran the ball 3 times on first down for 31 yards, no gain, and 7 yards. In the second half they ran on first down for 31 yards, 14 yards, 9 yards, 9 yards and 4 yards. Now I get that Alabama's pass tendencies (also Tua wasn't that bad on first down in the first half, he was 6/10 with 1 TD and 1 INT and penalties played a role, not trying to hang Tua out to dry) set that up somewhat, but that's an average of 11.6 per yards on first down, on the ground. I have to look at those numbers and ask myself why on earth Alabama, with an injured Tua feeling pressure mind you and not even playing from behind wasn't running more not just on first down but in general in the first half. Alabama took risks they didn't need to take and that, because it was entirely avoidable, is both the difference and the problem.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’m not sure what the answer is, but I DO know this: We have looked terrible in our last two most consequential games. Can we really blame both of those solely on injuries or are there other issues that need to be addressed?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’m not sure what the answer is, but I DO know this: We have looked terrible in our last two most consequential games. Can we really blame both of those solely on injuries or are there other issues that need to be addressed?
Yes, we can blame both on injuries and coaching turnover. Some of you need to take a Xanax.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Our defense is what it is at this point. If we get to the playoffs, we will have to outscore everyone we play. They all will know our weaknesses and have the talent to exploit it. We will just have to do the same. But I think we can outscore anyone we face if Tua is close to 100% and we eliminate the stupid mistakes and penalties.

I suspect we'll not make the playoffs, and we'll be matched up with Oklahoma in a bowl game, and that will be another game for the ages.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
My issue is....it seems when the boys know they are playing a team of equal talent, we start making uncharacteristic mistakes where you sit there thinking, what the heck just happened, that doesnt look like Bama.

Its masked vs lesser opponents I guess, maybe it's just the same mistakes and the good teams make them glaringly obvious when the lesser teams cant.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
IMO, this is spot on.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.