Time to think about next season?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I often find myself writing something after a loss, so bear with me, I beg your indulgence. I'm not entirely sober, please overlook any more errors than usual. Also, I'm not attempting to place blame on an individual basis or encourage that, because Alabama wins and loses as a team. I'm not trying to discredit Alabama's success this year, but we all know there are high standards.

I'm proud of Alabama fighting and coming back. It keeps a sliver of hope for both Alabama's playoff and Tua's Heisman chances. However, Alabama isn't good enough to give LSU that lead. Tua made two crucial mistakes that cost the team at least 10 points, and that was just too much to come back from. In both instances he took an unnecessary risk. It's a shame because so much talent was wasted, not the least of which being Tua's who had a fantastic second half.

I am a little taken aback because I expected Alabama to really try to protect Tua early. Rely on the running game, limit his exposure, and early on try to give him a lot of easy opportunities. He wasn't 100% and that wasn't his fault. Instead we saw a lot of what we're used to seeing, Tua dropping back and trying to make a play, despite LSU bringing a lot of pressure.

I'm usually one of the first people to point out that Alabama still has a shot at a championship after a loss. The problem is Alabama just doesn't have the SoS this year. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Miss. State aren't good enough to give the usual boost. Thanks to the ACC screwing Alabama with the Duke matchup, Alabama doesn't have much to lean on. Arkansas losing to Western Kentucky made things worse, and South Carolina failing to beat App. State didn't help either. If the committee doesn't give Alabama serious bonus points because Tua wasn't 100% healthy, this might be it. Short of a lot of carnage, I don't see a clear path.

Obviously some of this stuff isn't the fault of anyone currently with the program, sometimes it's just bad luck, or bad calls. One of Saban's biggest challenges at Alabama is that he never actually gets to rebuild. His teams are always contenders, and he can't hit the reset button. No matter how many key players he loses to the draft and injuries there are, no matter how many assistants he loses, he has to do what ever it takes to get his team competitive. That takes a toll. I was thinking about why some coaches have success taking over for a program, and one reason is they get to hit that reset button. Kirby Smart as Georgia is a good example, he had the luxury of being able to come in and change everything he didn't like. Sometimes that produces instant results, sometimes it takes a few seasons, but Nick Saban can't afford to turn things upside down.

Alabama got outcoached at both coordinator positions in the first half. Given the instability at coordinator, that's no big surprise, but it's also what happened against Clemson in both halves. Elite talent is one thing, but it's not easy to win when the other team has better coaching. I don't know what the solution to that is, but rather than be caught off-guard by coaching defections later in the process, now might be a good time to start figuring out how to get better performance from the coordinators. I'm not trying to second guess Saban, but this is something that's costing Alabama dearly at this point.

I don't want to say I told you so, because at points even I bought into it, huge passing numbers are intoxicating. But, all those concerns about a gunslinger quarterback and a offense reliant on the quarterback have been realized, twice. As supremely talented as Tua is, he and well pretty much anyone just isn't going to be good enough to continually take risks and never pay a price for it. Turnovers happen, drops happen, and you have to limit the risks. You have to pick your shots, and Tua hasn't learned that level of restraint. I'm not asking for Hurts 2.0, but Alabama needs to get quarterback play that doesn't put the outcome in jeopardy unnecessarily.

I thought Alabama would spend the spring and fall creating a more balanced and risk averse offense. Yes, they had a massive weapon in Tua, but they could have complimented it better with a strong running game. Furthermore, they could have focused more on low hanging fruit and time of possession. Alabama demolished teams, Tua put up Heisman worthy stats, like last year, but they failed to establish a consistent running game and yet again they didn't really reign in Tua. Alabama was content to throw TDs in blowouts when they could have been working on other things. Some people thought Alabama would never lose with Tua, and if Alabama has been able to use him appropriately that might have been the case. Instead, Alabama transformed their team into something that looked more like Oklahoma than what we saw from most of the past championship teams. Alabama gained an elite offense but gave up 40+ to Clemson and LSU in the process.

How do you fix that? Tua's departure forces the issue, but can Alabama get back to being dominant on defense and having a strong running game, without giving up important gains made in the passing game? Fields at Ohio State is showing us that you can put up really impressive numbers without forcing the ball. He's only thrown one pick this year, he's only completed 20 passes once this year, but his play has been fantastic and Ohio State has the top offense in college football. It isn't that Fields can't do more, but why should he? That, not an Oklahoma like offense is the model to follow.

There's no good reason for Alabama to not turn to the running game now. Worst case scenario it protects Tua more. Best case scenario Alabama rediscovers the ability to power it in, in the red zone and a more balanced offense. If it doesn't make a difference this season, it might next season when Alabama won't have Tua to lean on. Alabama lost time of possession by nearly 9 minutes against LSU, despite only 18 less yards and that's been another consistent problem. They need to regain control of the clock.

The kicking game has been a train wreck. What's new? I don't even know how to solve that, other than just benching Reichard for the rest of the season. He's the best place kicker by a mile, but he has to get healthy. Alabama might as well keep giving Perine reps at punter. The botched punt is an example of why he wasn't given a shot sooner, but at this point what is there to lose? If he can become a little more consistent, he might be the long term solution at the position.

I could go on, but there are problems. They shouldn't wait until the third quarter, in such a big game, and this late in the season to unleash their supremely talented running back. Why could Najee average 7.7 per rush and not get more touches? Why is Tua still trying to force the ball in close games? We saw a similar movie before during the Clemson game (unforced errors, Najee averaged 6.6 on only 9 carries), but this Alabama team is too good have this kind of result. They've given up 40+ twice in the past 10 games. If that's the new reality, consistent success (by Alabama standards) will become nearly impossible. If they can get back to Alabama football though, this dynasty isn't over.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
There are a lot of good reasons not to go back to the run, and we will never see that again. We have some great QB's and receivers, Our run blocking is mediocre at best, and the game is changing and evolving. If we were a running team we never catch-up in this game. Football Changes, and so do peopel!

Our defense is young, they will grow and get better.

Tua was not 100%. He could have scampered out of trouble several times, but had to stay in the pocket to protect himself. One even for a TD.

The sun will come up tomorrow and we will get over our 1 loss this year!

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
You make some good points, and maybe ( just speculating) we have all put so many high expectations and pressure on Tua to be Superman that he makes mistakes trying to make a play................why Najee hasnt been used more is baffling. He was running like a wild man this evening, but he can also catch and has done well receiving. I trust Saban to make the necessary changes, but he also tried to temper expectations earlier...............Id love to see Bama go back to the crushing defenses they used to have, but in the modern era of these high powered offenses, I dont know if that will happen again..........

Gut check time this week..................Bama can win out

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
2020 will not be a championship caliber team.

On offense you lose: Tua, Najee, JJ, Ruggs, Smitty, Wills, Leatherwood and maybe another one or two if they leave early (Robinson and maybe a lineman)

On defense you lose: Raekwon, Lewis, Jennings, McKinney, Diggs, Mayden, and Carter.

Next years team will be weaker on defense and much, much less potent on offense.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

On offense you lose: Tua, Najee, JJ, Ruggs, Smitty, Wills, Leatherwood and maybe another one or two if they leave arely (Robinson and maybe a lineman)

On defense you lose: Raekwon, Lewis, Jennings, McKinney, Diggs, Mayden, and Carter.

Next years team will be weaker on defense and much, much less potent on offense.
Next year's schedule is a lot harder as well.

Maybe we will get lucky and all the juniors come back?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Id love to see Bama go back to the crushing defenses they used to have, but in the modern era of these high powered offenses, I dont know if that will happen again...
This isn't entirely a response to you, but you're it, heh. A lot of the discussions I had during Hurts tenure centered around the idea that you needed elite QB play to win. I don't dispute that, but that doesn't mean you become reliant on QB play. Ohio St. has elite QB play, but they're not putting the outcome in his hands. They will need to eventually, but to me that's something you save for when you have to have it. Tua in the second half did what he had to do, win or lose I couldn't complain. However, had he not put himself into the hole (and that's not all on him, he's not the coordinator), he doesn't have to play like that in the first place.

To get to the Najee thing, he averaged 7.7 on 19 runs while Tua averaged 10.5 on 40 passes. Some people would point to that and go see? You have to pass. But, Tua turned the ball over twice, and we all know turnovers are more likely on pass plays. So, you had roughly a turnover every 20 pass play. How many yards is that worth? Furthermore, the huge problem Alabama developed with the disparity is time of possession. Passes just don't tend to take as much time off the clock as runs. LSU had 40 rushes, Alabama had 28. Each time Alabama decided to pass instead of run, they created a situation where LSU could have the ball longer, and ultimately more plays, which also further stressed the defense.

So it isn't about not having elite passing, but it's about complimenting it properly. Finally, while defenses are different, it's still possible to have a good defense. Pruitt's 2017 defense didn't give up more than 26 points. You know the most points the undefeated 2009 team gave up? 24. So, as much as the game has changed, if you do things right you still don't have to give up that many points.

That would be the first time, since what 2007? that would be the case. So I wouldn't bet on it, despite all the losses... unless Alabama becomes so reliant on Tua that they just forget what to do without him. A tougher schedule also means a larger margin of error to, so we'll see...

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
This isn't entirely a response to you, but you're it, heh. A lot of the discussions I had during Hurts tenure centered around the idea that you needed elite QB play to win. I don't dispute that, but that doesn't mean you become reliant on QB play. Ohio St. has elite QB play, but they're not putting the outcome in his hands. They will need to eventually, but to me that's something you save for when you have to have it. Tua in the second half did what he had to do, win or lose I couldn't complain. However, had he not put himself into the hole (and that's not all on him, he's not the coordinator), he doesn't have to play like that in the first place.

To get to the Najee thing, he averaged 7.7 on 19 runs while Tua averaged 10.5 on 40 passes. Some people would point to that and go see? You have to pass. But, Tua turned the ball over twice, and we all know turnovers are more likely on pass plays. So, you had roughly a turnover every 20 pass play. How many yards is that worth? Furthermore, the huge problem Alabama developed with the disparity is time of possession. Passes just don't tend to take as much time off the clock as runs. LSU had 40 rushes, Alabama had 28. Each time Alabama decided to pass instead of run, they created a situation where LSU could have the ball longer, and ultimately more plays, which also further stressed the defense.

So it isn't about not having elite passing, but it's about complimenting it properly. Finally, while defenses are different, it's still possible to have a good defense. Pruitt's 2017 defense didn't give up more than 26 points. You know the most points the undefeated 2009 team gave up? 24. So, as much as the game has changed, if you do things right you still don't have to give up that many points.

That would be the first time, since what 2007? that would be the case. So I wouldn't bet on it, despite all the losses... unless Alabama becomes so reliant on Tua that they just forget what to do without him. A tougher schedule also means a larger margin of error to, so we'll see...
I agree with you...…………….I think at times they became overly reliant on Tua( which is hard not to do because he is good), but neglected the run game...……………..and Najee can run.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The 2010 team had 3 regular season losses.
They were, absolutely championship caliber though, they just didn't get it together at the right time. They had Julio, Mark, GMac, they destroyed Michigan St. in the bowl game, they should have beaten the eventual national champions. Next year's team will be very different, and it may come together... it may not, but it would be very far outside of the norm for it to not be championship caliber.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
They were, absolutely championship caliber though, they just didn't get it together at the right time. They had Julio, Mark, GMac, they destroyed Michigan St. in the bowl game, they should have beaten the eventual national championships. Next year's team will be very different, and it may come together... it may not, but it would be very far outside of the norm for it to not be championship caliber.
How do you know we aren't going to destroy someone in our Bowl Game?

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I think once you sober up and have time to think about it you will realize this season is no where near to being lost and next season every team gets a reboot. Joe Burrow will be gone, as well as plenty of other players who are dominating at this point. In fact who knows who will still be playing in a week or two? Certainly do not hope for any player from any team to get hurt but this is football.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Alabama's defenses inability to get stops in a one possession game was the biggest problem today. Bama probably wins the game without the 2 careless turnovers. But we knew the defense was the weak link all year and it bit us today. Still at chance for the playoffs but now we need a 2 loss Pac 12 or two loss Big 12 Champ to get into the playoffs. Hang in there and don't give up on these players.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Y’all really believe Oregon or Utah will be selected over an 11-1 Bama? That KSU loss is looking worse not better for the Sooners. If Bama can beat AU I think they can get in and should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Y’all really believe Oregon or Utah will be selected over an 11-1 Bama? That KSU loss is looking worse not better for the Sooners. If Bama can beat AU I think they can get in and should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To have any realistic shot at all, UGA needs to lose to Auburn next week. Without Auburn, Alabama really is playing the “if Tua wasn’t hurt card”

Right now

1) Ohio State
2) LSU
3) Clemson
4) unknown

I don’t think we have to worry about a BIG 10 alternate with Penn St losing and Minnesota most likely having 2 losses. But the worry is the PAC 12 champ. I think we really need an upset or 2 to feel any chance at all. Oklahoma isn’t getting, only Baylor has a shot at this point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.