The 2020 season= Manning/T Martin "thing"

RyanM

Suspended
Sep 14, 2019
Bama will regress big time on offense. Mac Jones will not be the starter and if he is Bama is in trouble. He is not good enough to get it done in today’s game.
You obviously have no clue as to the ignorance of your comment. I’ll tell you what, I put a grand on it with you that Mac Jones is already the starter for next year. If you think differently then you obviously don’t know Coach Saban. As far as Bama being in trouble if he is the starter. Mac only looked bad coming in cold and unexpectedly in a high pressure situation, once he settled down he was MONEY!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I won' go out on a limb with outlandish predictions for next year, but I do see some comments on here that I am totally in agreement with. First, Mack Jones is a younger version of Greg McElroy, not AJ, Jake or Tua. He is what he is, a smart game manager. There is no doubt that too much reliance was placed on Tua at the expense of a truly balanced offense. We no doubt suffered some devastating injuries to defensive players we were counting on and their backups were freshmen or reserves with little game experience. The combination of coaching turnover (13 in two years), coupled with crippling injuries, and the over reliance on Tua led to what may likely be a missed CFP appearance. Off season and spring ball hopefully will see some re-evaluation of where we are going.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I somehow missed this thread a few days ago. Funny, in a way, that things look more promising today than 3 or 4 days ago.

At any rate, I think next year will be influenced by how we finish this year. No doubt we'll lose loads of offensive talent, but the defense will surely be better. But what happens this year will influence the "hunger" factor.

As for the 2020 QB, I think MJ will be the club house leader, but the Cali kid will have something to say about the race in the spring and fall.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Bama will be fine with Mac Jones next year. He is alot better than than people give him credit for. All he needs is live game experience and he may get some this Saturday.

Reactions: imauafan

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Bama will be fine with Mac Jones next year. He is alot better than than people give him credit for. All he needs is live game experience and he may get some this Saturday.
Agree 100%. Mac could start for most SEC teams. I thought he looked pretty good going 18 of 22, even though it was Arky. No one will be Tua next year. But I know Mac is a winner.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Until we can return to a defense that can get a few stops we are not winning a title if any kind. We can win Mac on offense but defense still wins championships.

Teams figured out how to gut or defensive coaching staff and then attack our recruiting on that side of the ball. That is where our project lies getting our defense back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
a lot of truth in this one. Got to have Defense.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I somehow missed this thread a few days ago. Funny, in a way, that things look more promising today than 3 or 4 days ago.

At any rate, I think next year will be influenced by how we finish this year. No doubt we'll lose loads of offensive talent, but the defense will surely be better. But what happens this year will influence the "hunger" factor.

As for the 2020 QB, I think MJ will be the club house leader, but the Cali kid will have something to say about the race in the spring and fall.
I'd throw Taulia in there as well...…...…...…….as for Tyson, guess we will see

As for the defense, I agree with the sentiments of a post up top...……………….other teams have attacked the recruiting on the defense, and possibly also tampered with things a bit...…………….time for Bama to re-establish that side

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

As for the defense, I agree with the sentiments of a post up top...……………….other teams have attacked the recruiting on the defense, and possibly also tampered with things a bit...…………….time for Bama to re-establish that side
It will be interesting indeed, with Young coming in...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Buzz - this is not a snide retort to you personally but.......

I recall when AJ left and everyone wanted Coker as the starter and then Blake Sims stepped up.
While he didn't win it all, he did very well.

And then there were names behind Coker, who suddenly wasn't the favored one.

Then there was the infamous 2016, "We don't even have a starter" at the opener.

Hell, I'm old enough to remember when Jay Barker won a national championship and Tide fans were going,
"But there's no way we can keep him back there next year," and the kid only lost two games in the next two years.

Damn, I'm old enough to remember when head case Jeff Dunn went down and got replaced by a QB that had thrown only
four passes - and that replacement went on to win the SEC's offensive player of the year.

I've lived through Billy Ray, Chad Key, Freddie Kitchens, Tyler Watts, and even Star Jackson as "the next big deal" here.

Most of those guys didn't even start, some left, and none were legends.

The reality is that we have no earthly idea who will start next year (I think it's obvious Tua is gone).

The beauty is that we can rely on the judgment of a guy who has won more than one big one without an elite QB.

Reactions: 81usaf92

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
What will be even more interesting is IF Tua stays due to unfinished business, or his dad wants him to, then which QB will transfer? By the time Tua makes his decision, Bryce Young will already be on campus practicing. Mac is solid, and Lia will not transfer if Tua stays. I doubt Paul Tyson goes anywhere.

Just me having wishful thinking I guess. :)

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
What will be even more interesting is IF Tua stays due to unfinished business, or his dad wants him to, then which QB will transfer? By the time Tua makes his decision, Bryce Young will already be on campus practicing. Mac is solid, and Lia will not transfer if Tua stays. I doubt Paul Tyson goes anywhere.

Just me having wishful thinking I guess. :)
It’s hard to say who would leave until after spring, but if Lia and Young both progress, I’d almost think Tyson might leave.......but that’s just a guess.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Yeah, didn't mean to suggest he wouldn't impact the competition as well. I think it's a given Lia has a say too. But, I'm extremely impressed with Young's "Tua like" skills, especially his quick release and laser accuracy.

Again, Mac Jones has the advantage, but those young guns coming up out of HS in this modern era are more prepared to step in than even just a decade or so ago.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You know I got to give @Bamabuzzard credit here. He absolutely called it. But I do have to give myself some credit for calling Mac as well.

"Something tells me that there is a good chance Mac gets serious consideration. Lia hasn't progressed as fast as Tua, and the staff may want another year to decide between Bryce and Lia. Mac is a capable qb "

Granted I was very high on Trey Sanders and it has yet panned out mostly due to injuries. But I did think Alabama was in great hands with Mac behind center.

I am also giving @crimsonaudio credit as well as being one of the ones that had full faith in Mac as well before the season. There were clearly others that I cant remember exactly who, I dont exactly have @selmaborntidefan 's memory on things so forgive me, so kudos to the unnamed as well. But there were plenty of doubters, and many on this thread alone as well....

But really it is amazing how a year after one of the most painful realizations came to pass (Tua not getting a 2nd title or another shot at the heisman) that we are now making a March to Miami and possibly sweeping most of the major individual awards. Its amazing that someone would make the Manning to Martin comparison to Tua to Mac right after that realization.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Then:
Bama will regress big time on offense. Mac Jones will not be the starter and if he is Bama is in trouble. He is not good enough to get it done in today’s game.
Bamabuzzard:
This post is a great example of what I'm talking about. That's what seems logical today and the most likely to play out a year from now. But don't be surprised if you're wrong.

I would also say we cannot project the development that Jones will have with being a year older and another year in the system under his belt. This also applies to the other players coming back. We have no idea the development that will occur between now and next season. We just base next September off of what we see today. Which has many inherent flaws in using that approach.
Now:
We're ranked #1 in country with the most potent offense in the country, not to mention Mac is up for the Heisman Trophy. Yeah, I'd say you were wrong, like bad wrong. ROLL TIDE!

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Saban has mentioned time and time again this season about the “chemistry and closeness” of this team. And the leadership.

Najee, Smitty, Mosley, and others returning set the tone this year. You can never predict what can be accomplished when you “set yourself aside” and aim for something bigger. Some call it synergy. I call it selflessness.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Saban has mentioned time and time again this season about the “chemistry and closeness” of this team. And the leadership.

Najee, Smitty, Mosley, and others returning set the tone this year. You can never predict what can be accomplished when you “set yourself aside” and aim for something bigger. Some call it synergy. I call it selflessness.
This times 100. Good leadership is invaluable. I remember years past that we didn’t have an alpha on either offense or defense and it showed on the field. This year, we alphas on both sides of the ball and it reflects on their play and how the defense has gelled and developed over the season.

Reactions: 81usaf92

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Then:

Bamabuzzard:

Now:
We're ranked #1 in country with the most potent offense in the country, not to mention Mac is up for the Heisman Trophy. Yeah, I'd say you were wrong, like bad wrong. ROLL TIDE!
CoachJeff is the single most negative eeyore on this board. He and posters like him are why I stay out of the Alabama game threads.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.