The 2020 season= Manning/T Martin "thing"

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Unless some absolutely weird stuff happens. We're more than likely out of the playoffs this season and Tua is off to the NFL. Leaving us Mac Jones as the quarterback, not that will be a bad thing. But I am reminded that most things in life do not go as planned. I remember when Tua unleashed the 2nd & 26 the thoughts of "We're going to win at least one more possibly two more titles while Tua's here." running through my mind. It was just hard to imagine us having that caliber of qb for an entire season and not winning at least one title. I remember Peyton Manning's time at UT and how many NC's they were supposed to win with him there. It wasn't until the year after he left that they won it, with T Martin. I can easily see this happening next season. We still have championship talent and a ready made starter in place. Granted, he's not Tua. But LSU will lose Burrow and be starting a new. I know tiger land thinks this offensive season is the new norm for them. But reality will hit when that doesn't happen.

Life can many times have a sick and cruel sense of humor. So don't be surprised if we're a better team next season with a much less talented quarterback behind center. Not because there's something "Wrong" with Tua. But life many times just works that way. I can't explain it. It just does and I can see it lining up that way next season.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We didn’t know at the time of that Georgia game how injuries would hamper Tua’s career. Much has been made of scheme, injuries to the defense, coaching turnover, player turnover, and all hurting us in games like last night. However, truth be told, we lost the game when Tua’s ankle was rolled up on that play against Tennessee. All other things being equal, if we have a healthy Tua we don’t lose last night.

Having said all that, hopefully all is not lost this year. We can and should win out. We just need college football chaos to spread its calamity elsewhere for the rest of the season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Bama will regress big time on offense. Mac Jones will not be the starter and if he is Bama is in trouble. He is not good enough to get it done in today’s game.
This post is a great example of what I'm talking about. That's what seems logical today and the most likely to play out a year from now. But don't be surprised if you're wrong.

Reactions: 92tide

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
This post is a great example of what I'm talking about. That's what seems logical today and the most likely to play out a year from now. But don't be surprised if you're wrong.
My guess is Bryce Young or Lia start next year. They’re both dynamic enough to get the job done, but they don’t know the offense like Mac.

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
My guess is Bryce Young or Lia start next year. They’re both dynamic enough to get the job done, but they don’t know the offense like Mac.
I would also say we cannot project the development that Jones will have with being a year older and another year in the system under his belt. This also applies to the other players coming back. We have no idea the development that will occur between now and next season. We just base next September off of what we see today. Which has many inherent flaws in using that approach.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Until we can return to a defense that can get a few stops we are not winning a title if any kind. We can win Mac on offense but defense still wins championships.

Teams figured out how to gut or defensive coaching staff and then attack our recruiting on that side of the ball. That is where our project lies getting our defense back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Until we can return to a defense that can get a few stops we are not winning a title if any kind. We can win Mac on offense but defense still wins championships.

Teams figured out how to gut or defensive coaching staff and then attack our recruiting on that side of the ball. That is where our project lies getting our defense back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It's hard for any defensive scheme to work without a DL that can consistently get a penetration and we simply haven't had one in two years now. It's a ripple effect that impacts the entire defense. The game is truly won at the LOS. We can point to open field tackling, young players getting confused about coverages etc. But at the end of the day, all of that doesn't matter if the DL cannot penetrate the offense.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Next year we open with USC, play UGA, play LSU at their place, but get AU at home. That's a tough schedule. Who knows which coaches will be gone by then, which players will be injured, etc.

We need to hire someone else at DC or someone to be co-DC to help Golding. He will be more experienced next year though, and we should have more good recruits.

I wonder if Jake Fromm stays for next year? If so, the UGA game will be a tough one if Tua leaves.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Next year we open with USC, play UGA, play LSU at their place, but get AU at home. That's a tough schedule. Who knows which coaches will be gone by then, which players will be injured, etc.

We need to hire someone else at DC or someone to be co-DC to help Golding. He will be more experienced next year though, and we should have more good recruits.

I wonder if Jake Fromm stays for next year? If so, the UGA game will be a tough one if Tua leaves.
We don't need anymore turnover at the coordinator position. Golding needs to get better. We expect development by players. The coaches should do the same. Get better. He got taken to school by a 30 year old "play calling, non coordinator, consultant" whose baby face looks like he's not far removed from his mama's house. That in and of itself should be enough incentive for Golding to get better. He got taken to school yesterday and should be embarrassed.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It's hard for any defensive scheme to work without a DL that can consistently get a penetration and we simply haven't had one in two years now. It's a ripple effect that impacts the entire defense. The game is truly won at the LOS. We can point to open field tackling, young players getting confused about coverages etc. But at the end of the day, all of that doesn't matter if the DL cannot penetrate the offense.
True. Without pressure up the middle a QB like Burrow can step up and carve the secondary coverage up.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
True. Without pressure up the middle a QB like Burrow can step up and carve the secondary coverage up.
Which I lay at the feet of the DC and why I say he need to get better. They don't pay these guys the kind of money they do to only have success when they have an entire DL that are 1st and 2nd rounders in the NFL. Hell, either one of us could coach a defensive line like that. A good coordinator takes what he has and gets everything he can out of them. We can't always depend on "out talenting" everybody. Golding simply needs to get better as a coach.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Losing a lot on offense next year, not just Tua.

Defense...until the season ending injuries to starters stop and the defense can actually go out on the field at full strength Bama is going to struggle vs the top tier teams.

This year is not our year. It happens. 2020 hopefully the defense improves and it should given all the young players getting experience. The offense may go from scoring 40+ to back in the 30s.

In this day and age though it's all about QB play and a better than average defense.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

He will most likely heed the siren call of the NFL....... but stay or go, UGA loses a lot of talent as well as the other teams on the schedule do.......

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Which I lay at the feet of the DC and why I say he need to get better. They don't pay these guys the kind of money they do to only have success when they have an entire DL that are 1st and 2nd rounders in the NFL. Hell, either one of us could coach a defensive line like that. A good coordinator takes what he has and gets everything he can out of them. We can't always depend on "out talenting" everybody. Golding simply needs to get better as a coach.
Clemson DL lost a lot from last year. That was a special senior laden line with NFL draft picks everywhere. They havent played anyone but their DL, while not as good as last year, is still very good.

Bamas DL in a 3-4 scheme is still there to eat up blocks for LBs to get tackles. Our LBs are struggling, theyve struggled for years because of injuries and draft losses and coaching turnover.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Unless some absolutely weird stuff happens. We're more than likely out of the playoffs this season and Tua is off to the NFL. Leaving us Mac Jones as the quarterback, not that will be a bad thing. But I am reminded that most things in life do not go as planned.
Something tells me that there is a good chance Mac gets serious consideration. Lia hasn't progressed as fast as Tua, and the staff may want another year to decide between Bryce and Lia. Mac is a capable qb.

I remember when Tua unleashed the 2nd & 26 the thoughts of "We're going to win at least one more possibly two more titles while Tua's here." running through my mind.

Yeah and that's why I was never a fan of those threads last year about the Greatest Team ever and can we 3 peat. With our massive defensive departure in 2017, we were basically handcuffed to the performance of 2 players last year (Williams last year), and 1 this year. I think Tua's ineffectiveness in the 1st half shows you how much we are dependent on him. To win a championship that has to change. We aren't Clemson with a soft schedule so we cant rely on that moving forward.

I remember Peyton Manning's time at UT and how many NC's they were supposed to win with him there.

Well Spurrier had Wuerffel and one of the best programs of the 90's when Manning was playing. Tee really caught Florida on their coming back down to Earth stage, and played a FSU team that was a year away from something and was just happy to be there.

can easily see this happening next season. We still have championship talent and a ready made starter in place. Granted, he's not Tua.

Despite what people think, our offense is going to be really good next year. Trey Sanders will probably be our workhorse next year, and we have the line to move anyone if they are on their game. I think what has really hurt us is that we haven't had a TE that can block and catch like we have had since 2009.

But LSU will lose Burrow and be starting a new. I know tiger land thinks this offensive season is the new norm for them. But reality will hit when that doesn't happen.

LSU gambled on Burrow, and it paid off after he got a qb coach that understood him. But they are going to have some difficulty to continuously finding a qb that can pick up on that type of offense as fast as he did. Not every P5 qb has that NFL Qb gene in them, to be honest most don't. If they play the Free Agent game at qb then they will strike out more than they knock it out of the park.

Life can many times have a sick and cruel sense of humor. So don't be surprised if we're a better team next season with a much less talented quarterback behind center. Not because there's something "Wrong" with Tua. But life many times just works that way. I can't explain it. It just does and I can see it lining up that way next season.

I wasn't really confident that we would win a national championship this year (still possible I guess) after hearing at how bad our defense was at fall camp, and how big of an injury Trey Sanders was. Next year is a more favorable season than what it appears. UGA is most likely losing ALOT of folks to the draft, and Auburn is losing their entire defense. LSU is going to be in the qb market. Alabama will probably roll through the West with ease next year, and possibly the SEC entirely.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.