The 2020 season= Manning/T Martin "thing"

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Something tells me that there is a good chance Mac gets serious consideration. Lia hasn't progressed as fast as Tua, and the staff may want another year to decide between Bryce and Lia. Mac is a capable qb.

Yeah and that's why I was never a fan of those threads last year about the Greatest Team ever and can we 3 peat. With our massive defensive departure in 2017, we were basically handcuffed to the performance of 2 players last year (Williams last year), and 1 this year. I think Tua's ineffectiveness in the 1st half shows you how much we are dependent on him. To win a championship that has to change. We aren't Clemson with a soft schedule so we cant rely on that moving forward.

Well Spurrier had Wuerffel and one of the best programs of the 90's when Manning was playing. Tee really caught Florida on their coming back down to Earth stage, and played a FSU team that was a year away from something and was just happy to be there.

Despite what people think, our offense is going to be really good next year. Trey Sanders will probably be our workhorse next year, and we have the line to move anyone if they are on their game. I think what has really hurt us is that we haven't had a TE that can block and catch like we have had since 2009.

LSU gambled on Burrow, and it paid off after he got a qb coach that understood him. But they are going to have some difficulty to continuously finding a qb that can pick up on that type of offense as fast as he did. Not every P5 qb has that NFL Qb gene in them, to be honest most don't. If they play the Free Agent game at qb then they will strike out more than they knock it out of the park.

I wasn't really confident that we would win a national championship this year (still possible I guess) after hearing at how bad our defense was at fall camp, and how big of an injury Trey Sanders was. Next year is a more favorable season than what it appears. UGA is most likely losing ALOT of folks to the draft, and Auburn is losing their entire defense. LSU is going to be in the qb market. Alabama will probably roll through the West with ease next year, and possibly the SEC entirely.
I read on another site (can't remember which, but it was a quote from a reporter), that Taulia was giving our defense trouble during practices for LSU and that the coaches realized it would be difficult come game time. The defense was getting beat alot in practice with Taulia acting as Joe Burrow. Even if Golding is in over his head, shouldn't the other coaches on staff be helping him? Sunseri, Huff, etc. They have more experience than Golding I think. Injuries are a big part of it, but still having players so confused/lack of tackling is a big issue too.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It's hard for any defensive scheme to work without a DL that can consistently get a penetration and we simply haven't had one in two years now. It's a ripple effect that impacts the entire defense. The game is truly won at the LOS. We can point to open field tackling, young players getting confused about coverages etc. But at the end of the day, all of that doesn't matter if the DL cannot penetrate the offense.
Exactly why losing so many recruits to Clemson, NFL Draft, and High caliber players hitting the transfer portal is taking its toll on our dynasty. Nothing continues forever, and if this is the beginning signs of the down slope, still ain’t so bad. We only lost by 5 to the “best team in the country”

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I read on another site (can't remember which, but it was a quote from a reporter), that Taulia was giving our defense trouble during practices for LSU and that the coaches realized it would be difficult come game time. The defense was getting beat alot in practice with Taulia acting as Joe Burrow. Even if Golding is in over his head, shouldn't the other coaches on staff be helping him? Sunseri, Huff, etc. They have more experience than Golding I think. Injuries are a big part of it, but still having players so confused/lack of tackling is a big issue too.
Ive always been for the expereinced DC over an up and comer, but it ultimately comes down to your players. Even with Moses we are probably still this bad. We just do not have a linebacker like a Hightower, a Ragland, a Mcclain, and a Foster that has that can get our guys in the right position and that can adapt to what the offense is doing throughout the game. Quinon last year hid that truth with how destructive he was on the line, this year we dont have that destructive force on the line.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Next year we open with USC, play UGA, play LSU at our place, but get AU at home. That's a tough schedule. Who knows which coaches will be gone by then, which players will be injured, etc.

We need to hire someone else at DC or someone to be co-DC to help Golding. He will be more experienced next year though, and we should have more good recruits.

I wonder if Jake Fromm stays for next year? If so, the UGA game will be a tough one if Tua leaves.
fify. imho, but i am not at all worried about uga at home next year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Exactly why losing so many recruits to Clemson, NFL Draft, and High caliber players hitting the transfer portal is taking its toll on our dynasty. Nothing continues forever, and if this is the beginning signs of the down slope, still ain’t so bad. We only lost by 5 to the “best team in the country”
we heard something similar to this pretty much yearly at some point in 2010-2015.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Re: The 2020 season= Manning/T Martin "thing"

Wow. Think we need a change at DC. We've seen 2 years of the same thing. Injuries do hurt, but I'd expect some improvement as the season goes along. Not seeing it. Basically, if our offense is making too many mistakes our defense can't cover. The Clemson game last year and yesterday's loss are case in point. Why are some defending Golding? "He got embarrassed by LSU and so will do better next time"? SMH, couldn't disagree more. Can we get Pruitt back?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Wow. Think we need a change at DC. We've seen 2 years of the same thing. Injuries do hurt, but I'd expect some improvement as the season goes along. Not seeing it. Basically, if our offense is making too many mistakes our defense can't cover. The Clemson game last year and yesterday's loss are case in point. Why are some defending Golding? "He got embarrassed by LSU and so well do better next time"? SMH, couldn't disagree more. Can we get Pruitt back?

We couldve had Steele, Pruitt, Smart, Aranda, and Venerables this year and we would still be in pretty much the same boat at defense as we are now. Our defense just doesn't tackle well at all, and doesn't have that quarterback of the defense. Its more of a sign of a team that has a bunch of young and inexperienced players than just a total failure at the DC job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The front seven injuries kinda screwed us out of the "high watermark year" in this cycle. 2019 was really probably supposed to be our best team in the three year period from 2018 through 2020. 2020 may end up being a magical year but the attrition does not suggest it.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX

We couldve had Steele, Pruitt, Smart, Aranda, and Venerables this year and we would still be in pretty much the same boat at defense as we are now. Our defense just doesn't tackle well at all, and doesn't have that quarterback of the defense. Its more of a sign of a team that has a bunch of young and inexperienced players than just a total failure at the DC job.
I still disagree. We're seeing the same flaws from last year. Tackling is horrible and hasn't improved. I think the injuries have just magnified the coaching issues.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I still disagree. We're seeing the same flaws from last year. Tackling is horrible and hasn't improved. I think the injuries have just magnified the coaching issues.

I wonder why they cant tackle..............I have wondered about that since last year. That is a fundamental that should be drilled into their heads, but they still dont

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Love to see a little optimism among the doom and gloom. Season isn't over yet folks. Had a lot of injuries but just need to keep choppin the wood.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Bama will regress big time on offense. Mac Jones will not be the starter and if he is Bama is in trouble. He is not good enough to get it done in today’s game.
If we are converting to the BIG 12 offensive style, then you are right. If we 'discover' a running game and a 'typical' BAMA defense, I disagree.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I am of the opinion that the failure to establish a running game early and often has been a detriment to the defense.

Granted, Tua is a generational talent and he is surrounded by some amazing receivers and that shouldn't go to waste.

That said, we have to be able to run clock and to pick up the tough yards when needed.

It would also help if we didn't have so many dadblamed injuries on D.

We have depended too much on Tua instead of using his talents as one of several weapons, including the run game.

Now before someone says I said we don't or can't run the ball at all - that's not what I said.

Ditto for those who might say I said we shouldn't use Tua to the maximum potential.

What I am saying is that instead of plugging him into the offense and working to his strengths while maintaining our balance we have ridden him.

Sark has improved the short passing game in some areas, but has not taken advantage of screens and other plays to counter the blitz packages this offense has seen. When that was done against LSU it worked well when it was executed well.

We don't need a revamp. We just need to make some tweaks.

A healthy Tua also makes a big difference.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Unless some absolutely weird stuff happens. We're more than likely out of the playoffs this season and Tua is off to the NFL. Leaving us Mac Jones as the quarterback, not that will be a bad thing. But I am reminded that most things in life do not go as planned. I remember when Tua unleashed the 2nd & 26 the thoughts of "We're going to win at least one more possibly two more titles while Tua's here." running through my mind. It was just hard to imagine us having that caliber of qb for an entire season and not winning at least one title. I remember Peyton Manning's time at UT and how many NC's they were supposed to win with him there. It wasn't until the year after he left that they won it, with T Martin. I can easily see this happening next season. We still have championship talent and a ready made starter in place. Granted, he's not Tua. But LSU will lose Burrow and be starting a new. I know tiger land thinks this offensive season is the new norm for them. But reality will hit when that doesn't happen.

Life can many times have a sick and cruel sense of humor. So don't be surprised if we're a better team next season with a much less talented quarterback behind center. Not because there's something "Wrong" with Tua. But life many times just works that way. I can't explain it. It just does and I can see it lining up that way next season.
Quarterback is not a 'Time In Grade' thing.
I don't care if the best guy is a true Freshman or a 5th year Senior.
I want a QB who makes good decisions, makes the throws, runs when he needs to run, and plays every play like it's his last play ever.
Experience don't mean anything unless they can move the chains.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We don't need anymore turnover at the coordinator position. Golding needs to get better. We expect development by players. The coaches should do the same. Get better. He got taken to school by a 30 year old "play calling, non coordinator, consultant" whose baby face looks like he's not far removed from his mama's house. That in and of itself should be enough incentive for Golding to get better. He got taken to school yesterday and should be embarrassed.
The truth hurts. Coaches need to have continuous growth.
There are Tweaks we can make on Defense that are overdue.
In some cases we may need to simplify the Defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.