Veteran's Day - 2019 Thank you, Vets!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Been on my mind this past week. We love our veterans.

I just watched this segment on "Sunday Morning" (CBS):

"We, the People": Mary Whyte's portraits of 50 veterans from 50 states

Setting out to paint 50 veterans from 50 states, Mary Whyte traveled the country at her own expense, sketching, interviewing, photographing along the way. The paintings took her seven years to complete, and were unveiled two weeks ago in Charleston, S.C., where Whyte lives.

"America" depicts Kella, of Aberdeen, S.D., in her handmade Lakota regalia. She served as an Army SP4 (1986-88). Mary Whyte
She knew she wanted a Native American to represent South Dakota. She painted Kella Withhorn in her handmade Lakota regalia.

"This is because of my military service," Whitehorn said. "So, it's been created for me, nobody else. The flags represent the military and the patriotism."

She joined the Army at 20, assuming college wasn't an option. "When I left home, I was such a shy kid. I never flew on a plane, didn't know how to get on an escalator, I was just scared to death. And being in the military just opened my eyes to the world. I got to meet all kinds of people, and it helped me grow."
Now she has a master's degree, and is a budget analyst for the federal government.
If I find a video of the segment I will post it here but in the meantime you can go to the linked story to read more about this beautiful story and HERE to see 12 of the veteran's portraits and their bios.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
On this Veteran's Day, I'm thankful for those, past and present, who have signed up to serve to defend our great nation. All of them have made sacrifices, and I'm thankful for their willingness to serve.

My uncle, both of my grandfathers, and my father-in-law (FIL) all served (both grandfathers and FIL served in WWII). Four great men, I'm extremely proud of all of them, what they did, but more importantly who they are / were.

On the upper left is my uncle, Charles Templeton, on the upper right is my FIL, Farrell Dwayne McKelvey, on the bottom left are my maternal grandparents, James F. and June Templeton (Grandma and Papaw), and on the bottom right is my paternal grandfather, G.W. Blackwood (Poppa G). All of my grandparents have passed on now, along with my in-laws, and I miss them.

75000441_10157539511197604_4426260623717826560_n.jpg

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
While I appreciate the gestures of appreciation towards veterans on Veterans' Day, I always feel awkward about any attention pointed my way. Like Dick Winters said when his grandson was asked if he was a hero in the war. "No," he said, "but I served in the company of heroes."

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Thank you to all veterans. They all put their life on the line. We owe everything to these good people.

A special thank you to:

My father, WWII navy.
FIL 1, marines WWII
FIL 2, marines, Korea and two tours in Vietnam.
My uncle Bill, army Air Force WWII
My maternal grandfather, WWI
My best friend, Dwight, navy Vietnam.

I can vouch for the character and patriotism of each of them. They are all passed on except for my friend, Dwight.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
On this Veteran's Day, I'm thankful for those, past and present, who have signed up to serve to defend our great nation. All of them have made sacrifices, and I'm thankful for their willingness to serve.

My uncle, both of my grandfathers, and my father-in-law (FIL) all served (both grandfathers and FIL served in WWII). Four great men, I'm extremely proud of all of them, what they did, but more importantly who they are / were.

On the upper left is my uncle, Charles Templeton, on the upper right is my FIL, Farrell Dwayne McKelvey, on the bottom left are my maternal grandparents, James F. and June Templeton (Grandma and Papaw), and on the bottom right is my paternal grandfather, G.W. Blackwood (Poppa G). All of my grandparents have passed on now, along with my in-laws, and I miss them.

View attachment 4852

Wonderful post - just fantastic. TY Brad - you have much to be proud of! Condolences on your family's losses.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Thank you to all veterans. They all put their life on the line. We owe everything to these good people.

A special thank you to:

My father, WWII navy.
FIL 1, marines WWII
FIL 2, marines, Korea and two tours in Vietnam.
My uncle Bill, army Air Force WWII
My maternal grandfather, WWI
My best friend, Dwight, navy Vietnam.

I can vouch for the character and patriotism of each of them. They are all passed on except for my friend, Dwight.

Thank you for your post and sharing with us your family's impressive sacrifice and patriotism, Go Bama.

Please convey to your friend, Dwight, our heartfelt appreciation and love.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
While I appreciate the gestures of appreciation towards veterans on Veterans' Day, I always feel awkward about any attention pointed my way. Like Dick Winters said when his grandson was asked if he was a hero in the war. "No," he said, "but I served in the company of heroes."

The Greatest Generation on many levels. I will still reach out my hand and say thank you. Not enough but what else can I do?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Harvey and Eddie on couch.jpg

These are my two older brothers. Eddie, on the left was 15 months younger than Harvey. However, going through flight training, Harvey first fell ill and fell behind and then didn't have the depth perception to be a pilot. (Neither do I.) As a result, Eddie already has his wings and is wearing a officer's uniform. The pants were called "pinks," because they were tan with just a bit of red in the mix. Harvey is still wearing a cadet's uniform. Harvey flew 25 missions over Europe as a navigator on a B-17...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Great picture, Bazza. Are your parents still with us?

Mom is, thanks. She will be 97 next February. Still living on her own but stopped driving about a year ago. She lives here in town and I bring her provisions once a week and whatever else I can help with.

I emailed her that photo along with my thanks this morning and she replied:

I never talked about it when I became a civilian again.. There was a big need for volunteers to work in Navy, Coast Guard and Army stateside bases. It was because there was a need with so many men assigned to ships. etc. I did volunteer and I had a very responsible job at an office. The large separate building was where they made the filler for gas masks. The Army Chemical Service personnel were in that building. I worked very hard as a WAVE and was promoted a couple of times. Having lived at home I was mixed in with some really nice gals but also some bad ones and those with bad hygiene habits. I had never experienced that before.
When the war ended my service was extended for six more months. It sure messed up my plans to get home. Then I met your father and we fell in love. The picture you sent me was taken back of my barracks at the Naval Air Station located in Norfolk, Va. You probably know the rest of the story after we were married in Boston at the Navy Chapel there.. As you can understand I have had some wonderful memories.

I love that picture. Did I give it to you? That was the start of our love and marriage. We loved each other and were good to each other. He gave me our three sons. He was so proud of that.

Hard to beat that. I count my blessings every day, Go Bama.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
View attachment 4855

These are my two older brothers. Eddie, on the left was 15 months younger than Harvey. However, going through flight training, Harvey first fell ill and fell behind and then didn't have the depth perception to be a pilot. (Neither do I.) As a result, Eddie already has his wings and is wearing a officer's uniform. The pants were called "pinks," because they were tan with just a bit of red in the mix. Harvey is still wearing a cadet's uniform. Harvey flew 25 missions over Europe as a navigator on a B-17...

Thank you for sharing, Earle. I knew your brothers flew missions during WWII. Much to be proud of. Greatest generation....

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Mom is, thanks. She will be 97 next February. Still living on her own but stopped driving about a year ago. She lives here in town and I bring her provisions once a week and whatever else I can help with.

I emailed her that photo along with my thanks this morning and she replied:

I never talked about it when I became a civilian again.. There was a big need for volunteers to work in Navy, Coast Guard and Army stateside bases. It was because there was a need with so many men assigned to ships. etc. I did volunteer and I had a very responsible job at an office. The large separate building was where they made the filler for gas masks. The Army Chemical Service personnel were in that building. I worked very hard as a WAVE and was promoted a couple of times. Having lived at home I was mixed in with some really nice gals but also some bad ones and those with bad hygiene habits. I had never experienced that before.
When the war ended my service was extended for six more months. It sure messed up my plans to get home. Then I met your father and we fell in love. The picture you sent me was taken back of my barracks at the Naval Air Station located in Norfolk, Va. You probably know the rest of the story after we were married in Boston at the Navy Chapel there.. As you can understand I have had some wonderful memories.

I love that picture. Did I give it to you? That was the start of our love and marriage. We loved each other and were good to each other. He gave me our three sons. He was so proud of that.

Hard to beat that. I count my blessings every day, Go Bama.
Wow! She’s 97 and she wrote that?!? Obviously she’s still sharp as a tack. You are truly blessed.

I have a patient that is 102 and she has trouble getting around but her mind is all there. And she still has all 32 teeth! I love it when she comes in.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is the Veteran's Day dinner in the little restaurant in the French Alps which my Daughter and her husband have. They felt very honored to be selected, especially since she's American and he's German. She got toasted and applauded as the chef... :DVet dinner.jpg

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This is the Veteran's Day dinner in the little restaurant in the French Alps which my Daughter and her husband have. They felt very honored to be selected, especially since she's American and he's German. She got toasted and applauded as the chef... :DView attachment 4856

Assume that's your SIL at the far right?

Are all those people French?

I wish I was there....so cool!

BTW.......TV alert: "The Dirty Dozen" just started a half hour ago on TCM....commercial free!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Dominik wouldn't be sitting, since he's serving. Here they are. He looks more Italian than German, and, yes, all of the guests are French. Some of them are hotel owners, etc...Screenshot_2019-11-11 Rachel Self Howard.jpg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.