News Article: Alabama is #4 in New Coaches' and AP Polls

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I am only going to post this once because it is going to be tough, but I will be pulling for Auburn in their game with Georgia. It helps Alabama for Auburn to have demonstrated that they are a legit top 10 team before you throttle them, because you are going to make them look bad. You need a big win against a team with a good resume. Auburn can't look weak coming into that game.
Ugh. Me too. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

BAMA PHANTOM

Suspended
Jan 7, 2012
If we to get in the playoff, we would have to score 48 with this defense, injuries noted, is the worst under Saban I can remember . Tua would have to be 100% to have any chance. Just saying.

BAMA PHANTOM

Suspended
Jan 7, 2012
Point taken. In is better than not , just extremely disappointed in how this defense has been lit up all year and afraid it will do the same if we got in, makes for exciting games, I still love good defense over last team with the ball. Never saw a Bama D that just could not stop a offense all day long

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I love Bama more than I hate other teams. I will root for whoever helps us be it the Viles or the Barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Re: Alabama is #4 in new coaches poll

I think it is a very realistic possibility. Auburn's defense is good enough to stop Georgia's offense. It will come down to whether or not Gus can pull a few feathers out of his visor against Georgia's defense.
It would be good for us if Auburn finds a way to win in the Georgia game, but that is probably a tall order. I see Georgia being favored by 10-14 points in that one, but I hope it turns out differently.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
As the season presently stands, it seems the best teams are LSU and Ohio State. I would not be surprised to see these two teams in the championship game. Clemson might be a surprise in that mix, but their defense seems weaker than last year. I do believe we are the best one loss team, but the selection committee will be subject to very heavy criticism if they include us. Selecting two teams from the SEC will result in outrage across the national college scene. Stranger things have happened though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we're one of the 4 best teams this year but Bux is #1 and they're SIGNIFICANTLY better than us especially if Chase Young is playing. OSU not LSU is the #1 team in the nation right now regardless of the elation LSU gave the media this week. We'd be in another shootout in a rematch with LSU...so a coin flip depending on which defense/special teams gets turnovers. I think Clemson is probably a score better than us too but another turnover margin type of decision.

I still want our name in the bracket because a puncher's chance ain't meaningless.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As much as we think the committee is probably looking for a way to keep us out. They also know a rematch with LSU would be great for college football fans.

As others have said, we got one thing to worry about. FINISH STRONG and we'll see what happens.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Point taken. In is better than not , just extremely disappointed in how this defense has been lit up all year and afraid it will do the same if we got in, makes for exciting games, I still love good defense over last team with the ball. Never saw a Bama D that just could not stop a offense all day long
Five frosh has a way fo doing that...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The disrespect for this defense from Bama fans is getting ridiculous. According to the best rankings (SP+ which takes garbage time and competition into account) it is #12 in the country vs #22 for LSU. The LSU defense gave up 541 yds vs Bama's 559. The Bama offense contributed 10 pts to LSU, STs 3 pts and the refs 4 pts. The D gave up 29 pts.

Some fans wrongly charge the D with lack of aggression and no pressure on the QB. Bama had 5 sacks and 7 QB hurries vs a nimble Joe Burrow, whereas LSU had 1 sack and 5 hurries against a hobbled Tua. And yet Aranda supposedly took Golding to school. Maybe so, but the stats don't support it. Bama hassled Burrow all night.

Bama is number 2 in the ESPN FPI as well as the SP+ rankings. A critical mistake here or there was the difference. The CFPC looks at these rankings - they've said so publicly. They view Bama more favorably than many in its own fan base whose feelings have been hurt, thus they publicly lambast their own team to "get it off of their chest", to vent.

This is not a great D but please get your facts straight before you mislabel this D as bad or a disaster.

If Bama played LSU again they would at worst be a pick'em. Things have not gone Bama's way this year in a number of ways but they are still a good football team with a great O and a good D. Many of the children in this fan base are something else - it's embarrassing, not to mention you are incorrect in many of your criticisms.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
As much as we think the committee is probably looking for a way to keep us out. They also know a rematch with LSU would be great for college football fans.

As others have said, we got one thing to worry about. FINISH STRONG and we'll see what happens.
LSU fans would scream “unfair” at anyone who would listen.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

The most insightful thing I heard coming out of players' and coaches' mouths on Saturday was that the LSU result takes our path to the CFP out of our hands. Forget blame game, forget the first half, forget fumble and INT and scoring 2 TD in last 30 seconds. The real result of this game is that we now rely on the good graces of the CFP Committee and/or game results of other teams.

SO, that means we must, in CNS' words "Don't waste a loss." We have 3 more games at a minimum before the committee makes its selection. We're the best 1-loss team out there. Others above us (and teams in the top 10) may end up having 1+ losses. We're #4 now in the AP/USAT (which don't matter) so assuming CFP Cmte sees things through same lens, we would be in - as of today (we'll see when they release list this week).

As BamaInBham notes, this team (Def. specifically) had a pretty good game, overall. The Off. & STs put them in terrible situations several times. Even given all that happened in the 1st half, the mistakes made, etc. We were still in a position to win the game at the end if we get the onside kick. Lots of positives in the 2nd half, for sure, after some major adjustments at halftime.

I don't know if I've mellowed, if I'm better able to rationalize losses like this, or if I just understand the situation better as I get older. I had a peer ask me about boredom in following our games. I agreed I would rather be bored than interested.

Given Saturday's result, I now have a Side Bonus: Every game we play and every game the top 10 play now becomes a LOT more interesting to me. :)

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'm wondering how many more years it's going to take before people accept what I've been saying for years:

"The 2011 defense was NOT the new normal in Tuscaloosa; it was the greatest CFB defense ever assembled."

This is not a "bad" defense, it's just not what we've become spoiled with in 2011-13 and 2016-17.

The idea we're getting rolled on defense is ludicrous.
It's just not as good as some we've had.

(Ya know, Minkah Fitzpatrick helped Pittsburgh win yesterday, but he made a LOT of mistakes in 2015).

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

The most insightful thing I heard coming out of players' and coaches' mouths on Saturday was that the LSU result takes our path to the CFP out of our hands. Forget blame game, forget the first half, forget fumble and INT and scoring 2 TD in last 30 seconds. The real result of this game is that we now rely on the good graces of the CFP Committee and/or game results of other teams.

SO, that means we must, in CNS' words "Don't waste a loss." We have 3 more games at a minimum before the committee makes its selection. We're the best 1-loss team out there. Others above us (and teams in the top 10) may end up having 1+ losses. We're #4 now in the AP/USAT (which don't matter) so assuming CFP Cmte sees things through same lens, we would be in - as of today (we'll see when they release list this week).

As BamaInBham notes, this team (Def. specifically) had a pretty good game, overall. The Off. & STs put them in terrible situations several times. Even given all that happened in the 1st half, the mistakes made, etc. We were still in a position to win the game at the end if we get the onside kick. Lots of positives in the 2nd half, for sure, after some major adjustments at halftime.

I don't know if I've mellowed, if I'm better able to rationalize losses like this, or if I just understand the situation better as I get older. I had a peer ask me about boredom in following our games. I agreed I would rather be bored than interested.

Given Saturday's result, I now have a Side Bonus: Every game we play and every game the top 10 play now becomes a LOT more interesting to me. :)
There are lots of opportunities for chaos. If you look at the schedules, it's not unreasonable to think that several undefeated or 1-loss teams could pick up another loss. I would not be surprised if only 2 of the top 4 are still in the rankings at the end of the season, with Bama being one of those 2, of course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.