We need to become huge fans of these bad pac12 teams....

tacosman

Suspended
Nov 13, 2017
because if Utah and Oregon end up facing each other as 11-1 teams in the conf title game, we have no shot. we need one of them to get another loss and then beat the other in the title game

None.

That's going to feel like a play in game for the 4 seed(assuming Baylor isn't 12-0 which is safe). No way that either of those teams at 12-1 and a conf title is ranked below us in the final rankings after we are sitting at home and they are earning a conference title against a top 6 team

Regardless of whats 'right'(and that's very debateable), it would just not be in the best interests of the committee or cf as a whole to give us the nod over a 1 loss pac12 champ. It would alienate an entire conference/part of the country even more...the perception will be that we 'had our chance' and a 1-4 rematch with LSU when we would have 1 win total over ranked teams would be brutal....regardless of things like what vegas says the point spread would be between us and Oregon/Utah

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
because if Utah and Oregon end up facing each other as 11-1 teams in the conf title game, we have no shot. we need one of them to get another loss and then beat the other in the title game

None.

That's going to feel like a play in game for the 4 seed(assuming Baylor isn't 12-0 which is safe). No way that either of those teams at 12-1 and a conf title is ranked below us in the final rankings after we are sitting at home and they are earning a conference title against a top 6 team

Regardless of whats 'right'(and that's very debateable), it would just not be in the best interests of the committee or cf as a whole to give us the nod over a 1 loss pac12 champ. It would alienate an entire conference/part of the country even more...the perception will be that we 'had our chance' and a 1-4 rematch with LSU when we would have 1 win total over ranked teams would be brutal....regardless of things like what vegas says the point spread would be between us and Oregon/Utah
So, Oregon losing to Auburn

And us beating Auburn has no bearing?

You think the committee values winning the Pac12 over getting the 4 best teams?

I just sprained my eye.....rolled it too hard

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just to illustrate why we dont know how the committee is going to view us on selection day

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292749&highlight=peach+bowl

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292756&highlight=peach+bowl

Selma would have to find the 2011 one

We can only guess what it would take. I would say a good indicator of what it would take and if we have a real shot will be where we are ranked on Tuesday. If we are ahead of the Pac 12 and Oklahoma then its really saying Alabama has a shot. To know if Oklahoma even really has a shot at all, look at where they are ranked compared to PSU and Minnesota. I think winning out and having Auburn beat UGA (not necessary at the moment but it surely helps) will most likely give us an edge over Oregon.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hope Oregon and Utah have some Thursday or Friday night road games in bad weather on the horizon. Thank god Pac-12 media package does us favors in that regard.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I wish I had your optimism. I think a 11-1 Oregon (12-1 after winning) that just beat a 11-1 Utah (11-2 after losing) gets in over us. None of that other stuff will matter.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wish I had your optimism. I think a 11-1 Oregon (12-1 after winning) that just beat a 11-1 Utah (11-2 after losing) gets in over us. None of that other stuff will matter.
The Pac-12 is trash. Those are the only two teams worth a damn in that conference and I think Utah is due another loss tbh.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Just looked it up:

Unfortunately for us, Oregon and Utah are clear of their conference's television contract dick-tripping Thursday/Friday night games.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Let's compare Alabama and Oregon's resume. Alabama lost by 5 points to the #1 or #2 team in the country. Oregon lost to the 3rd best team in the SECw.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Let's compare Alabama and Oregon's resume. Alabama lost by 5 points to the #1 or #2 team in the country. Oregon lost to the 3rd best team in the SECw.
And even 3rd isn't wrapped up yet..... ;)

And -- if we beat 'em (Cow U) -- then we beat they team that beat them......

And I think they will look at the Tua injury as a factor in how the game had to be managed..... (no QB option in the RPO, the fumble, etc)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
And even 3rd isn't wrapped up yet..... ;)

And -- if we beat 'em (Cow U) -- then we beat they team that beat them......

And I think they will look at the Tua injury as a factor in how the game had to be managed..... (no QB option in the RPO, the fumble, etc)
It might be us if we don't handle business. lol.

tacosman

Suspended
Nov 13, 2017

sure it has bearing...but not enough to overcome the situation.

And sure the sec is stronger than the pac12. The problem for us is that we will have only beaten 1 of those 'good' teams that make it stronger. And not the other 3.

Just watch....

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Wasn’t one of the situations mentioned by the committee a while back was taking injuries into consideration? So if we beat the barn convincingly and came within 5 of a top 2 team with an injured QB, then we should go over the Ducks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Trying to figure out which side of the fence you're sitting on...

And sure the sec is stronger than the pac12. The problem for us is that we will have only beaten 1 of those 'good' teams that make it stronger. And not the other 3.

Just watch....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Just watch....
We’ve watched this before... twice.

Unless the committee sends a message Tuesday night then there is no reason to fear the Ducks and the Utes at the moment. Sure I would prefer to get them out of the way, but at the same time they are a buffer between us and Baylor too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.