Arkansas fire Chad Morris to the surprise of no one

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think they will regret the day they get rid of him.

Could they do better? Yes, but will they be patient enough with someone that doesnt speak the Auburn language?

How could they do better? Who do you realistically think they could get that is better than Gus?

Remember, that not long ago they were forced to hire a 5-19 coach because NOBODY wanted to go to that cesspool... :cool2:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Has Hugh Freeze been mentioned as a possible HC at Arky? Would they go for him and would he take it?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How could they do better? Who do you realistically think they could get that is better than Gus?

Remember, that not long ago they were forced to hire a 5-19 coach because NOBODY wanted to go to that cesspool... :cool2:
Auburn is a great job whether you want to accept it or not. The problem with Auburn is that they are more concerned about a coach fitting the Auburn culture than a coach reinventing the culture. And No, they werent forced to hire Chizik, they singled him out for obvious reasons. You may hate Tubby, but Tubby didnt let Milton and Yella Fella come into his office like Chiz and Gus did if that is a good enough hint to why they have gone away from good hires (Bowden and Tuberville) to headscratchers.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Two words: Bobby Petrino

Would Arkansas offer Freeze, maybe, maybe not
Would Freeze take the job if offered, in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To be fair, Tennessee's schedule is always front loaded so if the staff can keep the team from quitting then there is some room for "improvement" w/r/t record. I don't really buy they've gotten better all that much.
I'm guessing you've not watched them play much? There's zero question they're playing with greater effort and intensity now than five weeks ago.

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Pruitt says hi.

Some 15-16 games into Pruitt's HC career he looked like a colossal failure, yet the last few weeks tennessee has looked a lot better - far better effort, better execution, etc.

You'll never convince me that 19 games is enough to know what a HC can or cannot accomplish, especially when he's trying to drag the offense out of the 1800s...

And for the record, I'm no Morris fan - I didn't think it was a good hire as he's never shown the ability to field a defense, regardless of how his offense can look. My point stands - either you stand by the coach for at least three years or you don't hire them in the first place.

Good luck hiring anyone worth a crap, Arky, now that you've shown that you won't give a coach a chance.
The point is Tennessee got better, Arkansas arguably got worse. How do you play A&M and @ Kentucky within 4 but lose to San Jose State and get blown out by WKU with a QB you ran off? Then you add in division within the locker room and other SEC coaches saying your staff was the least prepared they faced all year. Morris is tied for the 3rd worst winning percentage in SEC HISTORY.

And he coached 22 games, not 19.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
Has Hugh Freeze been mentioned as a possible HC at Arky? Would they go for him and would he take it?
I don’t understand why anybody would touch this guy yet. From rumors of underage girls when coached high school to hookers and recruiting violations, he’s left a trail of mud almost everywhere he’s been. Even though he won games, his “official” winning % is like .32 at Ole Miss and he cost the school millions because of sanctions. He claims he has turned his life around and I sincerely hope that he has, but I think he needs more than a handful of games at Liberty to prove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I will never understand a school not giving a HC four years.

By all accounts Morris was a bad hire, but that was obvious going in - at some point you realize 18 months is just unfair.

I mean, tennessee will almost surely go bowling this year, and just three weeks ago most everyone in orange wanted him gone...
Not arguing the point but Arkansas does not have the talent Tennessee has and Arkansas is in the West to boot. Still, both schools look similarly fire-worthy.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
The point is Tennessee got better, Arkansas arguably got worse. How do you play A&M and @ Kentucky within 4 but lose to San Jose State and get blown out by WKU with a QB you ran off? Then you add in division within the locker room and other SEC coaches saying your staff was the least prepared they faced all year. Morris is tied for the 3rd worst winning percentage in SEC HISTORY.

And he coached 22 games, not 19.
Not a Morris fan, but I wonder how many SEC coaches started their careers 4-18, but survived to experience some success at their respective schools?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Pruitt says hi.

Some 15-16 games into Pruitt's HC career he looked like a colossal failure, yet the last few weeks tennessee has looked a lot better - far better effort, better execution, etc.

You'll never convince me that 19 games is enough to know what a HC can or cannot accomplish, especially when he's trying to drag the offense out of the 1800s...

And for the record, I'm no Morris fan - I didn't think it was a good hire as he's never shown the ability to field a defense, regardless of how his offense can look. My point stands - either you stand by the coach for at least three years or you don't hire them in the first place.

Good luck hiring anyone worth a crap, Arky, now that you've shown that you won't give a coach a chance.
I don't disagree about what should happen. I think it was a bad hire to begin with. However, if "you", the AD thought enough of him to hire him then it should mean you give the guy reasonable time to fix the cluster crap that he's waking into. I also think there should have been an active coordinated PR campaign by the AD and Morris to get the natives to fully understand the fundamental change that was going to have to take place and their patience would be greatly needed. Because anyone with any walking around sense about college football knew the type of player personnel changes that were going to have to take place for Morris to run his system effectively. My guess is that didn't happen.

Unfortunately, I've heard/read boosters were threatening to stop donations, attendance dropped to something like 20,000 and reported major division in the locker room not only among players but the coaching staff as well. I don't pretend to know how the daily financial operations of an Athletic Department work. But if boosters pulling donations and attendance dropping as bad as it supposedly has, impacts the ability to pay financial obligations. I'm not sure you have the option of waiting another two years.

With the backdrop of "Morris was a bad hire to begin with" in full view. Pruitt comes with more credibility and much, much better pedigree than Morris. I can fully understand why the Vols are patient with Pruitt. He's been a part of multiple NC teams and coached under some very good/great football minds. Morris on the other hand? Again, bad hire to begin with. But I'd come more giving Pruitt more leash than Morris.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Auburn is a great job whether you want to accept it or not. The problem with Auburn is that they are more concerned about a coach fitting the Auburn culture than a coach reinventing the culture. And No, they werent forced to hire Chizik, they singled him out for obvious reasons. You may hate Tubby, but Tubby didnt let Milton and Yella Fella come into his office like Chiz and Gus did if that is a good enough hint to why they have gone away from good hires (Bowden and Tuberville) to headscratchers.
That is EXACTLY why it is NOT a great job...

NOBODY wanted any part of that very situation and they still won't. I disagree with your take on the Chizik hire. They were turned down (behind the scenes by several coaches) before they had to bring in a 5-19 coach. He turned out to be what was expected of him. If not for $cam and Gus, he wouldn't have that ring on his finger and then fired 22 months later. :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Two words: Bobby Petrino

Would Arkansas offer Freeze, maybe, maybe not
Would Freeze take the job if offered, in a heartbeat.
As gray Tide pointed out, he would nbe a better coach than Gus and Lowder always wanted to hire him. He is probably desperate enough to accept a strings attached offer from awbern. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.