Arkansas fire Chad Morris to the surprise of no one

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Chad Morris fired after 4-18 start

Willie Taggart and Chad Morris deservedly didn't last 2 full seasons. Still, the economics of the sport has changed a great deal. You use to get a full recruiting cycle (4 or 5 years) when I was younger. The threshold for termination due to performance became 3 or 4 years around 15 years ago. Now you may not even get 2 full seasons if the performance is bad enough. Frankly I'm fine with that but the old economics didn't allow ADs to buy-out big contracts constantly until they found their program establishing hire. Stuff like this is why you see people crowing for the players to get a piece of the pie. If these schools got to money to fire and continue to pay guys to not work then it is hard to argue they don't have the money to put some more in the player's pockets. Reckon schools would be stuck with their Morris's and Taggart's longer if that happened though.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I will never understand a school not giving a HC four years.

By all accounts Morris was a bad hire, but that was obvious going in - at some point you realize 18 months is just unfair.

I mean, tennessee will almost surely go bowling this year, and just three weeks ago most everyone in orange wanted him gone...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So, Gus to Arky?
I think Gus is destined to Coach there one day. I thought he would've done it last coaching cycle.

Think of the advantages too. Not being in the same state with Alabama and if he can pull off an "Auburn" type W/L record of 8-4 each year with an occasional 10 win season he could coach there for life.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Morris and Taggart were bad hires from the outset. When you fire this early, it is really an indictment on who hired them not the coach being fired. At a certain point the athletic directors got to be held to account if firing coaches 2-3 seasons in becomes commonplace.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Burt Bulemia wasn't...
Arkansas went 11-2 in 2011, losing only to us and LSU. Then came Petrino’s motorcycle incident and they were forced to fire him in the off-season. The 2012 season was bad, but they still had Petrino’s players so I can’t blame anyone for going there. He was certainly a good hire, he just didn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I will never understand a school not giving a HC four years.

By all accounts Morris was a bad hire, but that was obvious going in - at some point you realize 18 months is just unfair.

I mean, tennessee will almost surely go bowling this year, and just three weeks ago most everyone in orange wanted him gone...

This is how I feel as well. Give the coach at least 3-4 years. Only 1.5 years is ridiculous!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This is how I feel as well. Give the coach at least 3-4 years. Only 1.5 years is ridiculous!
I agree, especially when you hire a coach that completely changes the entire philosophy of your team. I would think the first two years that the powers that be would have expected a very weak product. Next year I would have expected to see some gains. Then again, when you get run off the field by Western Kentucky, it is hard to think your program is making any progress. I would think that four years would be a fair try, but I can also understand that recognizing a bad hire and ending the relationship can start the healing sooner. The problem is that these folks are so desperate that they agree to these ridiculous buyouts. As usual, the agents and their clients win, but the universities should all just stop doing it. They won't because they are all so afraid they will lose a great coach and have to watch him win somewhere else. Much, much more often than not, though, they just end up paying a guy millions to not work. It's good "work" if you can get it.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Anyone think they consider bringing Petrino back?

Louisville did it. I'm not saying it's the right move; just wondering.

They brought in BB after BP, who's offensive philosophy was exactly opposite of Petrino's. They fired BB just around the time that he finally had cycled in his own players and brought in CM - who's philosophy is probably closer to Petrino's. And only gave him two seasons. Giving coaches only two years makes it really hard to get your own players in to run the systems you want to run. Especially when your systems are in stark contrast to the personnel on hand.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Unless you are an established coach like Urban Meyer or Les Miles coming back into coaching; I don't see how coach has much of a chance with programs like Ark if you are only going to get 18 or 19 games to prove yourself. Miles made the right choice with KU. His seat will never get above room temperature there.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Guys on WJOX this morning said Bruce Feldman is reporting via his “sources” that Malzahn and Norvell are the top two targets.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.