Arkansas fire Chad Morris to the surprise of no one

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Butch Jones is simply not an SEC caliber HC at any program. His ceiling is probably somewhere in a MAC type conference.
While I agree, I think that he is probably the type of head coach who I wouldn't mind having influence in the lives of my boys. He seems to be a legitimately good man. It is a shame that he decided to wear that ugly orange.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
While I agree, I think that he is probably the type of head coach who I wouldn't mind having influence in the lives of my boys. He seems to be a legitimately good man. It is a shame that he decided to wear that ugly orange.
Yep, I think the players really like him. I imagine he has learned a lot being under Saban for 2 years, even as an analyst. He won't have much to work with at Arkansas though, if he is hired there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Butch Jones is simply not an SEC caliber HC at any program. His ceiling is probably somewhere in a MAC type conference.
IDK, He recruited about better than any coach at Tennessee in recent history. If he was able to invade Missouri for recruits then I think he would do okay at arkansas

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do agree that Butch is a principled person which is not that common in today's coaching ranks. I still believe being an SEC HC is a bridge too far for him.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It does not matter since the deed is done, IMO wisely so because Chad Morris has no business being a HC in Conf USA where he was a flop, infinitely much less the SEC. The idiocy of that hire can hardly be overstated. I guess the thought of a 180 degree offensive change of direction and a better entree into the Texas talent pool blinded the Ark braintrust. Again, it was the hire of idiots and could not be rectified soon enough. Almost every observable sign indicated disaster. Ark is a top 25 job historically. Hopefully, they will be more thoughtful, including the possibility of cleaning house in the athletic dept. Idk anything about the dept's competency - maybe WPS can give us some insight.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I think Butch Jones could do well (for them) if he is chosen. As has been stated, he's a good recruiter and if he can get some recruits from the St. Louis and Memphis areas, and a few out of Texas, he could have a lengthy run there.

If he can replicate what he did at UT: 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, and 9-4, with bowl wins in each of those last three years, then he would most likely survive year five (4-6 @ UT) and probably be back to bowl eligibility in year 6. Then, another 9 win season or two buys him another down year.

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
I don't disagree about what should happen. I think it was a bad hire to begin with. However, if "you", the AD thought enough of him to hire him then it should mean you give the guy reasonable time to fix the cluster crap that he's waking into.
The current Arkansas AD did not hire Morris. We didn't have an AD at the time he was hired, the interim AD made the hire. We should have found an AD first before hiring a coach but the new early signing period made it hard to wait that long.

IDK, He recruited about better than any coach at Tennessee in recent history. If he was able to invade Missouri for recruits then I think he would do okay at arkansas
Missouri really doesn't have a huge amount of talent in football, though it's probably deeper than Arkansas. To be successful at Arkansas you HAVE to get all of the SEC-level Arkansas kids, and get a few from Texas that A&M, OU or UT don't have room for. And then supplement it with Oklahoma, Memphis and Louisiana. We should get more players from the Tulsa area than we do considering it's less than 2 hours from Fayetteville. Bielema actually did a good job at getting some Louisiana kids that just barely missed out on getting an LSU offer and then blew LSU out with them lol.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The current Arkansas AD did not hire Morris. We didn't have an AD at the time he was hired, the interim AD made the hire. We should have found an AD first before hiring a coach but the new early signing period made it hard to wait that long.

Missouri really doesn't have a huge amount of talent in football, though it's probably deeper than Arkansas. To be successful at Arkansas you HAVE to get all of the SEC-level Arkansas kids, and get a few from Texas that A&M, OU or UT don't have room for. And then supplement it with Oklahoma, Memphis and Louisiana. We should get more players from the Tulsa area than we do considering it's less than 2 hours from Fayetteville. Bielema actually did a good job at getting some Louisiana kids that just barely missed out on getting an LSU offer and then blew LSU out with them lol.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

This is what I've never understood about coaching hires. ADs hire "a coach" instead of "the coach" because of the immediate recruiting period. I think it's idiotic. We made the same mistake by offering "a coach" in RichRod before he "decided" to turn us down and then we went after "the coach" in Nick Saban. Schools should think strategically about the long term impact of of the difference between "a" and "the". We've done the "a" thing MANY times in hoops, as well. Hopefully this time, we have "the coach" for hoops.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is what I've never understood about coaching hires. ADs hire "a coach" instead of "the coach" because of the immediate recruiting period. I think it's idiotic. We made the same mistake by offering "a coach" in RichRod before he "decided" to turn us down and then we went after "the coach" in Nick Saban. Schools should think strategically about the long term impact of of the difference between "a" and "the". We've done the "a" thing MANY times in hoops, as well. Hopefully this time, we have "the coach" for hoops.
Playing devil's advocate a bit, they can't pick from what's not available. A few years ago Arkansas (reportedly) wanted Gus Bus to come home. Auburn rolled out the check book and Gussy gave the Razorbacks the "thanks but no thanks". Though Arkansas is probably a top 25 job, there may not be a lot of "the" type coaches beating down their door trying to get there. So they have to ultimately hire from the candidates interested in the job.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
"When you are up to your "chest" in alligators it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp." Whenever you lose a head coach the crazies are storming the castle. Hard to keep focused in those moments...but you're right...hiring "the" instead of "a" is the clue. But even Mal Moore hired that idiot from Washington State under similar pressure...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At least Mal Moore had an NCAA cloud looming over him when he settled for Mike Price then unceremoniously had to backslide into a Mike Shula hire.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree, especially now that the early signing day in December is effectively THE signing day.

When you have a coaching change, the December signing day is trashed. And because there are so few who sign in February, that effectively means the recruiting class as a whole is trashed.

Point being, unless you name the permanent replacement when you fire the old guy, your recruiting that year is laid waste whether you name a coach quickly after season’s end or not.

So what’s the hurry?

As so many parents tell their daughters, if you settle for Mr. Right Now because you don’t want for Mr. Right, you’re most often making a big mistake.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Franchione and Tiny Tot are available.
Man, that's mean. Arky would best hire as HC the ghost of Franchot Tone as an amalgam of the two aforementioned names over either of them.

And as he looked sorta like a suave cross between CheezWhiz and Malzone,

maybe they will!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Playing devil's advocate a bit, they can't pick from what's not available. A few years ago Arkansas (reportedly) wanted Gus Bus to come home. Auburn rolled out the check book and Gussy gave the Razorbacks the "thanks but no thanks". Though Arkansas is probably a top 25 job, there may not be a lot of "the" type coaches beating down their door trying to get there. So they have to ultimately hire from the candidates interested in the job.
But I see this as different from hiring “a” coach just for recruiting period. If nobody decent wants to come to your school or you can’t attract “the” coach, that’s tough but understandable. Hiring just to have a coach in place for a single recruiting period is what I think is moronic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
But I see this as different from hiring “a” coach just for recruiting period. If nobody decent wants to come to your school or you can’t attract “the” coach, that’s tough but understandable. Hiring just to have a coach in place for a single recruiting period is what I think is moronic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe, Arkansas should hire the coach that replaced Chad Morris at SMU. He seems to be doing okay with Morris' recruits.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.