I think some of us need to back up and think...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I try to understand that most people don't really understand the personnel issues. When you don't, it's easy to throw out posts like most of these in these threads. One of the other mods PMed me a couple of days before it became public and told me about Moses' knee. He said he'd thrown his iPhone across the room (only cracked the screen) and said "We're screwed." We lost the other ILB who had experience, also to injury and one very talented guy turned out to be a head case and disappeared. We started as many as six pure freshman at one point. We're not only thin; we're young and inexperienced in a couple of crucial areas. The job done by the coaches this year on defense is little short of miraculous, given the the circumstances. It makes it very hard to read a lot of the uninformed posts blaming the coaches (and everyone under the sun) in these threads...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I figured it was bad when we lost Moses. I was sure he would at least be in the running for the Butkis Award. It is really weird that we have had so many injuries and defections at the same position. I think most people thought our offense was good enough to mask any defensive issues. No one expect Burrow to be this good this year, not after seeing him last year.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
I think we also expect Saban to work miracles, I kept thinking the defense will improve, it'll click one day, and while there has been a little improvement, it's just not what we are used to. We are spoiled. I hope all this experience pays off next year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Hard to play championship defense without experience. The lack of experience explains a great deal of our problems. I've been bikeshedding some ideas on how to mitigate it in the future but I don't think there is a silver bullet for our problems this season. The fact we're basically in a 3 year recruiting cycle for all intents and purposes due to the NFL draft means we cannot afford injuries or recruiting misses without it showing up in a big way on the field. I don't have the answers to getting around that one. I have some reckons but there is a reason I'm not even coaching high school ball LOL.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I try to understand that most people don't really understand the personnel issues. When you don't, it's easy to throw out posts like most of these in these threads. One of the other mods PMed me a couple of days before it became public and told me about Moses' knee. He said he'd thrown his iPhone across the room (only cracked the screen) and said "We're screwed." We lost the other ILB who had experience, also to injury and one very talented guy turned out to be a head case and disappeared. We started as many as six pure freshman at one point. We're not only thin; we're young and inexperienced in a couple of crucial areas. The job done by the coaches this year on defense is little short of miraculous, given the the circumstances. It makes it very hard to read a lot of the uninformed posts blaming the coaches (and everyone under the sun) in these threads...
I agree with this. I just posted in another thread about I believe that if we had to play lsu (if we are lucky to get in the playoffs) again we would beat them. To many gifts in the first half hurt us bad. I just don't see that happening if we have a second time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The team wins and the team loses simple as that. No need to call out any particular player or coach. You have to accept the fact that LSU was the better team yesterday, from top to bottom. Sure we dug ourselves into an early hole, but that is football, it happens. Lots of posters want to blame the officials, that is the oldest dodge in the history of sports. We lost, we cannot change the outcome, it is time to move on. Seems like I type this every year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with this. I just posted in another thread about I believe that if we had to play lsu (if we are lucky to get in the playoffs) again we would beat them. To many gifts in the first half hurt us bad. I just don't see that happening if we have a second time.
With a healthy Tua, I think we win. I can't wait to see what the Committee thinks...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Hard to play championship defense without experience. The lack of experience explains a great deal of our problems. I've been bikeshedding some ideas on how to mitigate it in the future but I don't think there is a silver bullet for our problems this season. The fact we're basically in a 3 year recruiting cycle for all intents and purposes due to the NFL draft means we cannot afford injuries or recruiting misses without it showing up in a big way on the field. I don't have the answers to getting around that one. I have some reckons but there is a reason I'm not even coaching high school ball LOL.
All you have to do is look at our recent defensive stars now in the NFL -- and understand that plus these injuries made us vulnerable on defense. We played hard...but youth makes mistakes. Why some of us will not understand this is also beyond me. You don't win all the time and we have been on an incredible winning streak. We will be much stronger defensively for this...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
With a healthy Tua, I think we win. I can't wait to see what the Committee thinks...
It was the difference in the game. I told my father-in-law yesterday evening and mentioned it in another thread, but we lost the game when Tua's ankle was rolled against Tennessee. A lot of folks say we shouldn't be so dependent on one player, but that's not what this means. It means these two teams were extremely close and an 80% (at best) Tua who was also fighting off rust was the difference.

I do think we beat them in a rematch. I'd have a great deal of confidence in us vs. anyone else except perhaps Ohio State. I'm really not sure just how good they are because they haven't been tested. But they look unbeatable this season.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
How dare you bring calming facts and logic into this discussion!?!?

CAN’T YOU SEE WE ARE NOW 31-1 AT HOME?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
The team wins and the team loses simple as that. No need to call out any particular player or coach. You have to accept the fact that LSU was the better team yesterday, from top to bottom. Sure we dug ourselves into an early hole, but that is football, it happens. Lots of posters want to blame the officials, that is the oldest dodge in the history of sports. We lost, we cannot change the outcome, it is time to move on. Seems like I type this every year.
------

He's right, you know..,

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I really appreciate you starting this thread. It is just hard to imagine these freshman were playing high school football last year and now they are having to make calls and adjustments in a game this magnitude against some of the brightest minds in all of college football. I saw where one poster said they were in game nine so they aren't freshman anymore. The game will slow down so much for them next year because of experience. This happens at all age groups in sports. Year one is tough but it gets easier and people just want it to "poof" happen right now. I even saw one player in yesterday that has been spoken of quite a bit making a play on defense.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I figured it was bad when we lost Moses. I was sure he would at least be in the running for the Butkis Award. It is really weird that we have had so many injuries and defections at the same position. I think most people thought our offense was good enough to mask any defensive issues. No one expect Burrow to be this good this year, not after seeing him last year.
Same here. It was bad when we lost McMillan, but when Moses went down we lost all of our experience, and to me, the guy that was going to be the director on defense. He was the guy that would get everyone lined up right etc. I knew we had young talent, but no experience in the SEC is not a good thing. I figured we would have to just outscore some teams so keeping Tua healthy was paramount.

With Burrow, he hated the pro-style offense and being under center. He came up in a shotgun system similar to what they have now. LSU brought in the offensive guy from the Saints to help put in the new system that has made Burrow what he is. Burrow has talent, and this new system is tailor made for him. I'm curious to see how this system works next year. It has worked well for the Saints and LSU because they both have special type QB's. I wonder who LSU replaces Burrow with next year, and if they will be as productive as this year.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Same here. It was bad when we lost McMillan, but when Moses went down we lost all of our experience, and to me, the guy that was going to be the director on defense. He was the guy that would get everyone lined up right etc. I knew we had young talent, but no experience in the SEC is not a good thing. I figured we would have to just outscore some teams so keeping Tua healthy was paramount.

With Burrow, he hated the pro-style offense and being under center. He came up in a shotgun system similar to what they have now. LSU brought in the offensive guy from the Saints to help put in the new system that has made Burrow what he is. Burrow has talent, and this new system is tailor made for him. I'm curious to see how this system works next year. It has worked well for the Saints and LSU because they both have special type QB's. I wonder who LSU replaces Burrow with next year, and if they will be as productive as this year.
every lsu game I have seen, Burrow has played the whole game. I have no idea who his back-up is.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I agree...…………...I guess we are spoiled, as many posters have pointed out. It's hard to overcome inexperience and youth. The only thing I hate seeing is the missed tackles, but as someone posted, that could be a factor of the fear of getting called for targeting. Otherwise, cant fault them for inexperience...………..I just hope the injury bug goes somewhere else next year

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
It was the difference in the game. I told my father-in-law yesterday evening and mentioned it in another thread, but we lost the game when Tua's ankle was rolled against Tennessee. A lot of folks say we shouldn't be so dependent on one player, but that's not what this means. It means these two teams were extremely close and an 80% (at best) Tua who was also fighting off rust was the difference.

I do think we beat them in a rematch. I'd have a great deal of confidence in us vs. anyone else except perhaps Ohio State. I'm really not sure just how good they are because they haven't been tested. But they look unbeatable this season.
Almost any team is going to be very, very dependent on their quarterback. No shame in that.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Acknowledging that we're 8-1 and about 125 FBS teams would love to trade places with us, it has been an incredibly trying season.

Incredible coaching turnover, some warranted, some not. Lose multiple players to the NFL draft that really shouldn't have gone. Incredibly bad injury luck, and a ton of it. Mistakes from areas that shouldn't have made them.

Lose several NG / DT players to the NFL. Does anybody realize that, a decade ago, Q would be a junior with one more year of eligibility? Lose several other players who, honestly, their time had come. Then lose an AA ILB who would have been the bellcow and on-field leader of the defense before the season starts (Moses). Lose a less-talented, but highly experienced, 5th year senior ILB, who would have been the intellectual backup to Moses, to injury before the season starts (Mosley). Lose a game-changing kicker because he kicked the tee and sustained a 3-4 month groin injury. Lose a NG / DT (Ray) to injury before the season starts. Have a generational QB at roughly 80% against what ends up being the #1 team in the country.

If you dismiss all that as, "excuses," you just don't understand a thing about the real world, let alone the intricacies of football.

I agree that, (1) too many people are ignoring (or are incapable of understanding) the real issue, dismissing it as, "excuses," and (2) second only to the mental turnaround between 2007 and 2008, this is Saban's best coaching job.

The Process isn't broken or outdated. Through no fault in anything, we're depleted of 1st round NFL talent, injured, and forced to play talented boys against men who are both talented and experienced men. Results to be expected.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.