I think some of us need to back up and think...

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
two comments/questions:
1) To me the biggest play/call of the game was the catch before half at the one. I did not think it was the right call and if it had been called what I think was the correct call, there ism a good chance that LSU doesn't score a TD and they probably kick a FG as time runs out in the first half. If this happens, Bama doesn't get the ball back before the half ends and there is no interception and not an additional TD before the half. If all of this happens, the half time score 22-13 instead of 33-13 at the half. Maybe 26-13 if LSU happens to get the TD instead of the FG. Either way a totally different game in the second half

2) what would the game have looked like if Burrow had the high ankle sprain and was not able to scramble and throw on the run as accurate and Tua was at full strength? I think we might have seen a different outcome.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm afraid what the committee (indeed, the general public) will remember is the first half, when LSU appeared dominating, and not the comeback...
Indeed they may. They've tended toward the logical side over the life of the CFP, but I realize the committee is made up of different people almost annually so there is no way to know for certain. It was obvious that Tua wasn't physically ready and was fighting rust on top of that. Yet, on one leg in the second half he was unstoppable after he'd gotten the rust knocked off. Coach O claimed they weren't letting up at all, so that excuse is out the window. We got screwed out of at least 4 points in favor of LSU on that bogus WR out of bounds decision. I've seen a lot of folks claiming LSU controlled the game and we weren't really a threat to win. I think that's disingenuous at best.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I am curious to what one loss team if any the committee would put ahead of Bama at this point. Georgia has a bad, bad loss to a team Bama easily handled. Oklahoma has a bad loss to K-State and in that game Oklahoma had to have a furious comeback to make it a close loss in the end and no one is certainly mistaking K-State for LSU.

I keep hearing about Bama not being tested...well before the LSU game, and how Bama has not played anyone good that they have beaten. But who has Ohio State played, or Clemson that would be capable of testing Bama? Bama has rolled through their schedule, other than LSU, just like Ohio State has with their schedule. Bama beat Texas A&M at Kyle field much more decisively than Clemson did in Death Valley in my opinion, but Ohio State and Clemson are undefeated so I have no problem them being ranked ahead of Bama at this point.

Going to be an interesting discussion on here if the committee has Bama ranked 5th no matter which one loss team they have at 4th in the event they do. This so called Bama fatigue is bull crap!!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Indeed they may. They've tended toward the logical side over the life of the CFP, but I realize the committee is made up of different people almost annually so there is no way to know for certain. It was obvious that Tua wasn't physically ready and was fighting rust on top of that. Yet, on one leg in the second half he was unstoppable after he'd gotten the rust knocked off. Coach O claimed they weren't letting up at all, so that excuse is out the window. We got screwed out of at least 4 points in favor of LSU on that bogus WR out of bounds decision. I've seen a lot of folks claiming LSU controlled the game and we weren't really a threat to win. I think that's disingenuous at best.
And if the on side kick bounced more favorably, we would have been in position to win. LSU played their A game and won by 5. We played our F game in the first half and a B-/C+ game in the second half and lost by 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeally dan

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2008
I agree overall. We are playing with a ton of freshmen onD.

Diggs does trouble me some. He’s a senior and wasn’t tackling well. I do think if the d line was a bit stronger, it would help the corners.

bamagirl 44

Dec 26, 2014
Realistically this team is great but young. They are growing up every game. The only reason Lsu beat us is because Tua played on one leg in the first have and made uncharacteristic mistakes because he was in protection mode. Plus our defense is young!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Our defense starts with the nose tackle. If you do not have a 2 gap NT in a 3-4 you are in trouble. It is predicated on the NT taking up 2 guys so the LB's can run free. We have had freshman starting there. Imagine if Quinnen Williams was still here. We'd be talking about how good the defense is. I am not saying our Nt's are bad, they are just young and inexperienced. The fact is we are very young as a defensive team and weve started a ton of freshmen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't put this all on Golding, though you guys know that I was opposed to his promotion before it happened. If I were Saban, I would throw a pile of money at Schiano right now. Make him a consultant for the remainder of the season then promote him to DC.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't put this all on Golding, though you guys know that I was opposed to his promotion before it happened. If I were Saban, I would throw a pile of money at Schiano right now. Make him a consultant for the remainder of the season then promote him to DC.
Isn’t Schiano the favorite to return to Rutgers as the head coach right now?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As I stated before his promotion and I reiterate now, the issue I have with Golding is I just can't look to his track record and say we have no cause for concern. He's not the only problem, he might not be a problem at all, but how on earth would we know if he's a solution?

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
When I watched the game I kept saying to myself that a Big 12 game had broken out at BDS. When Mike Leach was hired by Bob Stoops he changed the entire make up of the Big 12. His coaching tree footprint is all over the conference. It has taken years for defenses in the conference to catch up but it's starting to happen and the D of choice seems to be the 3-3-5. The problem with recruiting to defend these wide open QB centric O's is that when you have to line up against a more traditional power O you are not physically equipped to handle it. The skill inherent in these O's is incredible, including QB's, WR's and TE/HB types. Look at the Ravens. Jackson is dynamic and he has 3 Sooners starting in his O, including the Mackey winner at TE and a sub 4.3 WR in Marquis Brown. Even NFL D's struggle to defend this kind of speed and talent in a dynamic scheme. The game last Sat. was nearly a replica of the legendary shootout in Lubbock in 2017 between Mahomes and Mayfield. The difference.. the D's in T-town were slightly better. I think what happened Sat. is a harbinger of the future of SEC football. It has taken OU fans 2 decades to come to grips with the style of ball we play and many still hate it but it is what it is and it ain't going away any time soon.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
When I watched the game I kept saying to myself that a Big 12 game had broken out at BDS. When Mike Leach was hired by Bob Stoops he changed the entire make up of the Big 12. His coaching tree footprint is all over the conference. It has taken years for defenses in the conference to catch up but it's starting to happen and the D of choice seems to be the 3-3-5. The problem with recruiting to defend these wide open QB centric O's is that when you have to line up against a more traditional power O you are not physically equipped to handle it. The skill inherent in these O's is incredible, including QB's, WR's and TE/HB types. Look at the Ravens. Jackson is dynamic and he has 3 Sooners starting in his O, including the Mackey winner at TE and a sub 4.3 WR in Marquis Brown. Even NFL D's struggle to defend this kind of speed and talent in a dynamic scheme. The game last Sat. was nearly a replica of the legendary shootout in Lubbock in 2017 between Mahomes and Mayfield. The difference.. the D's in T-town were slightly better. I think what happened Sat. is a harbinger of the future of SEC football. It has taken OU fans 2 decades to come to grips with the style of ball we play and many still hate it but it is what it is and it ain't going away any time soon.
The rule changes over the years have incentivized it. You are correct, it is not going away. I think we can be a lot better on defense as our guys mature and hopefully get healthy and stay healthy.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Yes on rule changes, especially linemen down field. There is no doubt that your rash of injuries played a role. Texas has gone through the same injury problem this year. The focus now in the Big 12 is "no chunk plays." The 3-3-5 seems to be able to hold talented wide open O's pretty well. If you watch OU when they play average or below D's they score in the 50-70 point range. When they play good D's it's more 35-50 range. If you can hold us there you can out score us if you have your own dynamic O.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
If a team is able to have a dynamic, dominant DL.....ie Clemson 2018, to a lesser extent Auburn 2019....then these offenses can be slowed somewhat. The key though is those DL's dominance in the red zone....or what Clemson did to us in January....what Auburn did to LSU a few weeks ago. Give up lots of yards, but force FG's, get a turnover here and there.

Bama has a young DC....and the LB corp has been decimated by injuries and departures and some kids that just haven't clicked like we thought they would.

This is why I don't think LSU wins the national title. Yes, their offense is unstoppable...elite QB. They don't have a dominant DL. If Chase Young comes back, Ohio State has a great offense and at least one dominant DL. Clemson, they haven't played anyone with a pulse on offense so that retooled DL is still a wait and see. Georgia, great D, good QB, but their offense won't hang with the elite offenses and their D can only hang on for so long.

The only thing that bothers me really about the Bama D that I'm not sure how gets fixed....the tenacity, the want to, the will....that I'm going to beat you and you can't do anything about it. I guess its because of the youth, but that attitude just hasn't been there.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I stated before his promotion and I reiterate now, the issue I have with Golding is I just can't look to his track record and say we have no cause for concern. He's not the only problem, he might not be a problem at all, but how on earth would we know if he's a solution?
We can't know based on this year alone. He's coordinating short-handed this season...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’ve felt many of the young players have played especially well given they were thrown into the fire. Especially 35 & 8 on defense & 73 on offense. This year, much like 2014, will pay dividends down the road. Just need some continuity on the staff and hope the early exits aren’t as devastating as they could be.

This being said, I’ve not had any problems with Golding. Like a few posters said, he’s working short handed with experienced depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If a team is able to have a dynamic, dominant DL.....ie Clemson 2018, to a lesser extent Auburn 2019....then these offenses can be slowed somewhat. The key though is those DL's dominance in the red zone....or what Clemson did to us in January....what Auburn did to LSU a few weeks ago. Give up lots of yards, but force FG's, get a turnover here and there.

Bama has a young DC....and the LB corp has been decimated by injuries and departures and some kids that just haven't clicked like we thought they would.

This is why I don't think LSU wins the national title. Yes, their offense is unstoppable...elite QB. They don't have a dominant DL. If Chase Young comes back, Ohio State has a great offense and at least one dominant DL. Clemson, they haven't played anyone with a pulse on offense so that retooled DL is still a wait and see. Georgia, great D, good QB, but their offense won't hang with the elite offenses and their D can only hang on for so long.

The only thing that bothers me really about the Bama D that I'm not sure how gets fixed....the tenacity, the want to, the will....that I'm going to beat you and you can't do anything about it. I guess its because of the youth, but that attitude just hasn't been there.
It's gotta be the youth.

You see it in the veterans, but they can only do so much while having to clean up for the others, and as we all know the worst thing you can do on defense is be caught paying attention to someone else's assignment. It's why you were seeing some pre-snap penalties against LSU by guys trying to get a jump on the snap.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.